Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
TheShepherd
Usher
Usher

Re: Whiskey

Post by TheShepherd » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:08 pm

What's your opinion on Jameson Irish Whiskey? - Some have said it's closer to Scotch than Whiskey - I haven't touched liquor in years, but in the past I would enjoy it for it's smooth, dry taste.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm

On hugodraxs suggestion, I picked up a bottle of Ballantines blended scotch last weekend. Pretty good stuff and $20 for 750mL is hard to beat.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:29 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm
On hugodraxs suggestion, I picked up a bottle of Ballantines blended scotch last weekend. Pretty good stuff and $20 for 750mL is hard to beat.
There seems to be a slight disconnect in this thread, between Ballantines, Monkey Shoulder, and JW Red. Personally I enjoy JWR, and I once poured most of a bottle of MS down the drain. I've never tasted Ballantines. For $20 I'll have to try it.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:18 pm

TheShepherd wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:08 pm
What's your opinion on Jameson Irish Whiskey? - Some have said it's closer to Scotch than Whiskey - I haven't touched liquor in years, but in the past I would enjoy it for it's smooth, dry taste.
It’s really closer to bourbon than Scotch but it’s not that close to either. It’s sweet, mellow, and inoffensive.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:29 pm
FredS wrote:
There seems to be a slight disconnect in this thread, between Ballantines, Monkey Shoulder, and JW Red. Personally I enjoy JWR, and I once poured most of a bottle of MS down the drain. I've never tasted Ballantines. For $20 I'll have to try it.
I buy blended whisky to mix with soda water. I like Dewar’s and JW Black and the Famous Grouse which is probably my favorite blend. JW Red is a s staple too. I don’t buy expensive blended Scotch on principle. Why would I spend single malt money on a blend? I’ve had JW Blue and it really wasn’t that great. A 50ml bottle of JW Blue is $20 here so I’ll pass.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:30 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
I hate Ballantine's with a passion. I'll take Monkey Shoulder or JWR over Ballantine's any time. I came really close to pouring the Ballantine's down the drain. For a cheap scotch, I've bought Lismore (6y) a few times. It's about $24-25 in these parts. Also "100 Pipers" is a surprisingly drinkable bottom-shelf blended scotch.

Image Image
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

mcommini
Usher
Usher

Post by mcommini » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:06 am

arank87 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
I buy blended whisky to mix with soda water. I like Dewar’s and JW Black and the Famous Grouse which is probably my favorite blend. JW Red is a s staple too. I don’t buy expensive blended Scotch on principle. Why would I spend single malt money on a blend? I’ve had JW Blue and it really wasn’t that great. A 50ml bottle of JW Blue is $20 here so I’ll pass.
Same. A scotch and soda can be a delight, especially when one wants a little more kick than what a beer brings to the table but isn't in the mood for wine.

I've not minded JWR as a scotch and soda staple (and honestly it was much better when my brother and I casked a bottle for two weeks), like Dewar's a bit more, but MS has a peatier flavor that really makes a scotch & soda a bit less insipid than the other two. I'd never water down a great scotch with soda.

A big factor for me is availability. I tend to buy whiskeys and other alcohol along with the rest of my grocery shopping and am too lazy to go to a liquor store unless I'm in the mood for something special (at least where I live currently. During my 20s in Chicago liquor stores outnumbered grocery stores by quite a bit and I always had at least one within walking distance. Here, there's driving time and- so much worse- Escherian parking lots to deal with). The three scotches listed above also happen to be the three lower end scotches regularly available at my grocery stores.

To address sweetandsour's comment, I think it's natural to see a greater disconnect at this range than in the higher range based on personal preference. A cheaper drink is going to have its bad qualities on full display and really rely on the one thing it does well. Better scotches have more nuance to play with- they tend to have a few combinations everyone can enjoy.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are." --TH White

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:21 am

mcommini wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:06 am
arank87 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:21 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
FredS wrote:
Same. A scotch and soda can be a delight, especially when one wants a little more kick than what a beer brings to the table but isn't in the mood for wine.

I've not minded JWR as a scotch and soda staple (and honestly it was much better when my brother and I casked a bottle for two weeks), like Dewar's a bit more, but MS has a peatier flavor that really makes a scotch & soda a bit less insipid than the other two. I'd never water down a great scotch with soda.

A big factor for me is availability. I tend to buy whiskeys and other alcohol along with the rest of my grocery shopping and am too lazy to go to a liquor store unless I'm in the mood for something special (at least where I live currently. During my 20s in Chicago liquor stores outnumbered grocery stores by quite a bit and I always had at least one within walking distance. Here, there's driving time and- so much worse- Escherian parking lots to deal with). The three scotches listed above also happen to be the three lower end scotches regularly available at my grocery stores.

To address sweetandsour's comment, I think it's natural to see a greater disconnect at this range than in the higher range based on personal preference. A cheaper drink is going to have its bad qualities on full display and really rely on the one thing it does well. Better scotches have more nuance to play with- they tend to have a few combinations everyone can enjoy.
Availability is huge. We have a nice liquor store in town with a good selection but their prices are pretty high and the selection isn’t amazing. When I drive to the city I go to total wine and go nuts. JWR is a very comforting flavor to me. A simple Scotch and soda with a good Latakia blend is great.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:03 pm

Old Grand-Dad Bonded.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 am

Scotch is going to be cheaper!

Scotch whisky tariffs suspended in new US agreement
The United States will now temporarily suspend all retaliatory tariffs on direct exports from the UK after a settlement agreement over the Airbus despite.

It means Scotch whisky will now see its tariffs go from 25 per cent to 0 per cent, as will textiles such as cashmere.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 am

arank87 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:18 pm
TheShepherd wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:08 pm
It’s really closer to bourbon than Scotch but it’s not that close to either. It’s sweet, mellow, and inoffensive.
It's kind of a stand-by for me. It's stronger on .... kind of a syrup sense but not really exactly syrup. Maybe it's "young". I found the Jameson in IPA barrels pretty nice which surprised me. It's higher so I didn't think it that nice for a swap but the sample was very good. Then the black label has a lot more smoke which I also liked.

On that syrup (not sure what else to call it)... it's on par with Proper 12. Both are good for that $19-22 range pending sales.

Jameson is good alone (or ice) and cheap enough that when I feel like mixing with Irish cream I feel it's a nice usage (Carolan's).
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 am

The United States will now temporarily suspend all retaliatory tariffs on direct exports from the UK after a settlement agreement over the Airbus despite.

It means Scotch whisky will now see its tariffs go from 25 per cent to 0 per cent, as will textiles such as cashmere.
Hoping I'm wrong, but I think liquor stores in North Carolina will likely just pocket the savings rather than pass it on to the consumer. I'll be shocked if I see lower prices on Scotch here.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:25 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:44 pm
tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 am

Hoping I'm wrong, but I think liquor stores in North Carolina will likely just pocket the savings rather than pass it on to the consumer. I'll be shocked if I see lower prices on Scotch here.
Damn Tarheels! :)
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:29 pm

BirdDog 84 proof.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:12 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:29 pm
BirdDog 84 proof.

Is this a regular drink of yours? What's your review of it?

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
BirdDog 84 proof.

It's my first bottle. So far, I like it.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:50 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
BirdDog 84 proof.

Well that's good. I have an unopened bottle, purchased as sort of a novelty due to the name, for a gathering of bird dog owners a few weeks ago that got cancelled due to the ice storm. It wasn't expensive, iirc. I'll go ahead and give it a try.

G. K. Chesterton

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 am

sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
joegoat wrote:
BirdDog 84 proof.

Well that's good. I have an unopened bottle, purchased as sort of a novelty due to the name, for a gathering of bird dog owners a few weeks ago that got cancelled due to the ice storm. It wasn't expensive, iirc. I'll go ahead and give it a try.
It is definitely a value. Good quality for the price point.

gaining_age
Ph.D. of LaTeX
Ph.D. of LaTeX

Post by gaining_age » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:26 pm

At a point to glance at the shelf of some bottles I've kept because I liked them:

Decent priced:
Glencullen Speyside 10 year single malt
Dewar's blended 12 year

Lower:
Jameson
Proper 12

Birthday specials (gifts):
Balvenie DoubleWood single malt scotch whisky aged 12 years
Glenlivet 12 year single malt scotch

The Balvenie was pretty much my intro last year. The Glenlivet is this year and I've had just a small sampling so far.

I had a nice couple fingers last night of the Dewar's and then had some Jameson.... the Dewar's (on the rocks) was a significant better flavor as I adjusted to the Jameson... down shifted for the graded turns.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:55 pm

George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Recipe 8. I've been trying some lower priced stuff recently. This one probably won't merit a second bottle.