Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
mrs_gabriel
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Re: Whiskey

Post by mrs_gabriel » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:Image

Santa brought me some blended scotch. This will be the first ever bottle of Johnnie Walker to grace the cabinet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s yucky. I’m sure he’ll love it. :)

<strong>A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.</strong> Proverbs 15:1

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am

Cool whiskey story from this Christmas...

I knew a family from my Ohio-church days that had six kids, which included a set of identical twins. The oldest child was named Rob and he and I are still good friends, but I didn't know the other siblings all that well. (I had the hots for one of the twins, yes, just one of them, but that's a story for another day.) The youngest daughter was much younger than Rob; I think twelve years maybe? Whatever it was, I barely knew her. Skip ahead to a little over a year ago, this youngest sibling and her new husband move to Asheville, NC, about 10 minutes from me. I help them unload the U-Haul and then the Missus and I have dinner with them the next weekend. Turns out she had married a guy about eight years older than her who just so happened to have grown up with my ex. Life stories intertwined, we become good, but rarely seen friends with this couple.

A couple months ago, we reconnected when they bought a house and I did their insurance for them. We set up a dinner with them to celebrate, and after we're done eating they bring up a story that they found a bunch of salvaged wood beams from Old Crowe Distillery in Kentucky at a local construction materials thrift store. Mark, the husband, is locally-famous for starting the Ohio Whiskey Club at Cincinnati's Country Club, so he obviously loves whiskey. As such, he wanted to buy a bunch of the beams for shelving in their new house. His wife, Cynthia, said no, "They're all dirty and gross. No. Not going to happen. Not in my new house."

The first week of December, Mark gets a Bar Manager job at a local butcher bar restaurant, and the Missus and I meet Cynthia (and their 3 month old baby Gil) there for dinner on the soft-opening night while Mark is working. She fills me in on a secret that she bought a couple of the beams behind Mark's back and she needs me to help her turn them into shelves. Over the next couple weeks I sneak them to my shop, rip them down the middle with a commercial bandsaw, clean them up while retaining the patina, purchase flat steel for open shelving, and then last Thursday we snuck to their house while Mark was working and installed three of them in the living room and one in the master bedroom. Cynthia sent me a video later than night where she had recorded his reaction, which included a rare belly laugh from him. I guess he sat there for a half hour staring at them in disbelief.

She paid me with a cool ceramic bottle of Tullamore Dew. Merry Christmas from my whiskey family to yours.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am

I knew a family from my Ohio-church days that had six kids, which included a set of identical twins. The oldest child was named Rob and he and I are still good friends, but I didn't know the other siblings all that well. (I had the hots for one of the twins, yes, just one of them, but that's a story for another day.) The youngest daughter was much younger than Rob; I think twelve years maybe? Whatever it was, I barely knew her. Skip ahead to a little over a year ago, this youngest sibling and her new husband move to Asheville, NC, about 10 minutes from me. I help them unload the U-Haul and then the Missus and I have dinner with them the next weekend. Turns out she had married a guy about eight years older than her who just so happened to have grown up with my ex. Life stories intertwined, we become good, but rarely seen friends with this couple.

A couple months ago, we reconnected when they bought a house and I did their insurance for them. We set up a dinner with them to celebrate, and after we're done eating they bring up a story that they found a bunch of salvaged wood beams from Old Crowe Distillery in Kentucky at a local construction materials thrift store. Mark, the husband, is locally-famous for starting the Ohio Whiskey Club at Cincinnati's Country Club, so he obviously loves whiskey. As such, he wanted to buy a bunch of the beams for shelving in their new house. His wife, Cynthia, said no, "They're all dirty and gross. No. Not going to happen. Not in my new house."

The first week of December, Mark gets a Bar Manager job at a local butcher bar restaurant, and the Missus and I meet Cynthia (and their 3 month old baby Gil) there for dinner on the soft-opening night while Mark is working. She fills me in on a secret that she bought a couple of the beams behind Mark's back and she needs me to help her turn them into shelves. Over the next couple weeks I sneak them to my shop, rip them down the middle with a commercial bandsaw, clean them up while retaining the patina, purchase flat steel for open shelving, and then last Thursday we snuck to their house while Mark was working and installed three of them in the living room and one in the master bedroom. Cynthia sent me a video later than night where she had recorded his reaction, which included a rare belly laugh from him. I guess he sat there for a half hour staring at them in disbelief.

She paid me with a cool ceramic bottle of Tullamore Dew. Merry Christmas from my whiskey family to yours.
Great story! Now tell us about the twin.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:41 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 am

Great story! Now tell us about the twin.
Yeah, no kidding. I need something to help me recover from the "awesomeness" of the last story.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:23 am

Santa brought me some blended scotch. This will be the first ever bottle of Johnnie Walker to grace the cabinet.

Does this mean you have never met Johnny Walker before?

If so, you are off to a nice inaugural met up.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:17 pm

I received a cool bottle of hooch for Christmas. It's a special release from our local Whitmeyer's Distillery called Harvey's Remnants, bottled from the small batch barrels that survived Hurricane Harvey. I doubt I'll open it for a while, but I'm sure one day the right moment will come to tap into it for a proper tribute.

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:17 pm
I received a cool bottle of hooch for Christmas. It's a special release from our local Whitmeyer's Distillery called Harvey's Remnants, bottled from the small batch barrels that survived Hurricane Harvey. I doubt I'll open it for a while, but I'm sure one day the right moment will come to tap into it for a proper tribute.

Oh I broke a ton of lights moving down to write this. Sorry to leave you a mess to sweep up. I just wanted to say I hope when you open this Harvey's Remnants bottle, what you lift a toast of tribute to, will be something special and warm to your heart. And if not your heart, maybe to those "Cockles" hard to locate!
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:48 pm
JimVH wrote:
Oh I broke a ton of lights moving down to write this. Sorry to leave you a mess to sweep up. I just wanted to say I hope when you open this Harvey's Remnants bottle, what you lift a toast of tribute to, will be something special and warm to your heart. And if not your heart, maybe to those "Cockles" hard to locate!
Thank you, friend. I have some friends that were hit pretty hard by the storm. I'm hoping one day the timing will be right for us to tip back a glass together.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 pm
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Thank you, friend. I have some friends that were hit pretty hard by the storm. I'm hoping one day the timing will be right for us to tip back a glass together.
NOTHING could be better than tipping back a glass with friends.....GOOD friends is Top Shelf! :cheese:
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Out of Whiskey. Switched to Brandy until the supply ship gets into port.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Out of Whiskey. Switched to Brandy until the supply ship gets into port.
Brandy is a fine tradition, to be sure. Now I need to go up and Sam’s story. Keep it Roman, hovs. Who loves ya, baby?

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:35 pm

JimVH wrote:

Hi, Jim.

I have more to read but, this is pretty awesome. I gotta say.

Ok, for all y’all else. JimVH has set the bar.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:47 pm

Tatanka wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
NOTHING could be better than tipping back a glass with friends.....GOOD friends is Top Shelf! :cheese:
Count me in. I’ll bring two lawn chairs and some ice.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:47 pm
Tatanka wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tatanka wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Count me in. I’ll bring two lawn chairs and some ice.
OH Your invitation sounds SOOOO Good to me! Compadrey (sp?) pipe smokers sippin' and puffin' and occasionally bringing up GOOD conversation! TOPS!
Soli Deo Gloria!

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:17 am

Past two trips to Phoenix have been for medical procedures and I did not drive, so been missing the Costco Kirkland Signature Blended Canadian Whiskey. All I have is convenience store Gin & Scotch.

That's a nice looking bottle there, S&S. I think I can just make out a can of 7 UP behind it.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 13, 2018 11:57 am

I’ve been mostly a beer/stout or Scotch guy.
My wife, marguiritas mostly.

But this local honey Bourbon is gonna convert us:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:17 am
Past two trips to Phoenix have been for medical procedures and I did not drive, so been missing the Costco Kirkland Signature Blended Canadian Whiskey. All I have is convenience store Gin & Scotch.

That's a nice looking bottle there, S&S. I think I can just make out a can of 7 UP behind it.
No 7 up (soda) I assure you. You're seeing the "up" part of Tin Cup. I haven't tried it yet, but per Scott (Bloodhound), it's supposed to be pretty special.

Tatanka

Post by Tatanka » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Those I've tasted are exciting delicious with the first dram but soon needs the sweetness cut with something. Mine has been sitting in a cupboard for over a year.
Soli Deo Gloria!

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:23 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain