Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: Whiskey

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am

LushMojo wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am
Thoughts on using a Glencairn?
It's one of those simple, but finer things in life, that if able to do so, then by all means do. Like lighting a fine cigar with a lit piece of cedar twig. It makes a difference.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

LushMojo
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by LushMojo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am
LushMojo wrote:
It's one of those simple, but finer things in life, that if able to do so, then by all means do. Like lighting a fine cigar with a lit piece of cedar twig. It makes a difference.
We use them. I feel like it makes a difference for some (particularly the peaty Scotches), but not as much for others. My favorite glass is a Rainier from Whiskey Peaks, but that’s just because we live in Washington state (we can see Mt Rainier from Mt Grant here on the island or from the west side of the island).
Small town doc in Friday Harbor. Adult convert Catholic.

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm

LushMojo wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am
LushMojo wrote:
We use them. I feel like it makes a difference for some (particularly the peaty Scotches), but not as much for others. My favorite glass is a Rainier from Whiskey Peaks, but that’s just because we live in Washington state (we can see Mt Rainier from Mt Grant here on the island or from the west side of the island).
I'm a fan of them. I think they're gorgeous glasses. They do add to the experience.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 pm

I've got Glencairns, snifters (my second fav), and several other kinds of bar glasses and my favorite thing to sip whiskey from is a retired mustard jar. It's smallish, like a juice glass, and has a wide enough opening that you get a good whiff to enhance the sip. It's also textured and has an optional finger hole for a secure, low pressure grip for when you've had one snort too many. I know some of y'all are fancy, but the redneckish appearance doesn't bother me at all.

I know I'm not often serious about stuff, but hear me well: this makes an excellent whiskey glass (provided you clean the mustard out, first).

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 pm
I've got Glencairns, snifters (my second fav), and several other kinds of bar glasses and my favorite thing to sip whiskey from is a retired mustard jar. It's smallish, like a juice glass, and has a wide enough opening that you get a good whiff to enhance the sip. It's also textured and has an optional finger hole for a secure, low pressure grip for when you've had one snort too many. I know some of y'all are fancy, but the redneckish appearance doesn't bother me at all.

I know I'm not often serious about stuff, but hear me well: this makes an excellent whiskey glass (provided you clean the mustard out, first).

Oh, Jim, Jim.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:35 am
CodeMonkey wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 pm
So, have you ever had Templeton Rye? I'm fond of it and curious how it compares.
I have. I think I prefer Pendleton.
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

7formy1911
Colt = PERFECTION
Colt = PERFECTION

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 pm
JimVH wrote:

Oh, Jim, Jim.
I have to laugh... I use that exact same glass for wine and whiskey. My wife says I’m a redneck but I’m not so sure 🤠
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Polished off the last finger of Tin Cup. Now for a glass of Wild Turkey 101.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:55 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pm
Polished off the last finger of Tin Cup. Now for a glass of Wild Turkey 101.

One of my favorites although Bourbon is new to me so what do I know. Looking forward to April when I can drink again.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Sipping Redemption Rye
“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:30 am

CodeMonkey wrote:Sipping Redemption Rye
They make a good high rye bourbon as well.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:16 am

I sometimes drink bourbon from a jelly jar. Never scotch.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:22 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:16 am
I sometimes drink bourbon from a jelly jar. Never scotch.
I am part of the silent majority on this too. Shhhhhh.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:31 pm
JimVH wrote:

Oh, Jim, Jim.
I have to laugh... I use that exact same glass for wine and whiskey. My wife says I’m a redneck but I’m not so sure 🤠
I can't help it. I'm born to hillbillies and raised among rednecks. I'm glad to know I have at least one cultured friend here.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

CodeMonkey
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud
A.K.A. Sigmund Freud

Post by CodeMonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 pm

Sipping on some Glenlivet. I bought a bottle for a friend of mine. He told me today that it was the best scotch he had ever drank.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm

A modest pour of Bulleit Rye from a JimVH approved sipping’ glass.

7formy1911
Colt = PERFECTION
Colt = PERFECTION

Post by 7formy1911 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:34 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:15 pm
A modest pour of Bulleit Rye from a JimVH approved sipping’ glass.
I know which glass that is :wink:
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:19 pm

I have one of those mustard glasses. It has mint cuttings in it that I’m trying to sprout in case my outside plant freezes. I muddle the mint with sugar and bourbon to make a lazy julep.

Yohanan
יוֹחָנָן
יוֹחָנָן

Post by Yohanan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:26 pm

Shine, and then some Johnnie Walker Red for the next pour.
Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks!!Image

TNLawPiper
1-800-LAW-DAWG
1-800-LAW-DAWG

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm

I recently acquired a few bottles from a nice acquaintance. Seller Full Proof, Elijah Craig Toasted Barrell, Eagle Rare, and Willett Rye. I’ve tapped into the Weller and Eagle Rare, and they have not disappointed!
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.