The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Wow that's a lot of trash. Good on ya for helping to get it cleaned up
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm
Yup!
Well done.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:24 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Indeed.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:24 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Indeed.
<applause> Good example.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 am

Time to blow the dust off the gear gents let’s see your first fish of 2018 ... Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 pm

You know what I like better than seeing kids fishing? Nothing. Not one damn thing.

I'm devouring books and blogs about the area around the new S homestead in NOCO, particularly those relating to rivers and water use. Here's a picture of the Miller children fishing the Poudre river, circa 1935. The picture was taken by Mark Miller (those are his kiddos) near the cabin he built for his family in the early 30's. He was a professional photographer and had/has hundreds of photos published in books, newspapers, and on postcards.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:30 pm
You know what I like better than seeing kids fishing? Nothing. Not one damn thing.

I'm devouring books and blogs about the area around the new S homestead in NOCO, particularly those relating to rivers and water use. Here's a picture of the Miller children fishing the Poudre river, circa 1935. The picture was taken by Mark Miller (those are his kiddos) near the cabin he built for his family in the early 30's. He was a professional photographer and had/has hundreds of photos published in books, newspapers, and on postcards.
Wonderful photo, Fted.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:18 am
Time to blow the dust off the gear gents let’s see your first fish of 2018 ... Image

Jealous!

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am

Its cold and I will not be fishing this weekend. But I do intend to sort my gear, and work on some of the family's gear, new line and making a list of tackle that I want to keep at the cabin...heck I may even spend some time at the vice.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am
Its cold and I will not be fishing this weekend. But I do intend to sort my gear, and work on some of the family's gear, new line and making a list of tackle that I want to keep at the cabin...heck I may even spend some time at the vice.
Don’t you just love being able to say, “...the cabin.” :chili: :chili: :chili:

Hard earned and well deserved.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:17 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 am
Don’t you just love being able to say, “...the cabin.” :chili: :chili: :chili:

Hard earned and well deserved.
That's so true...my wife bought a sign for the wall that says "This IS our Happy Place"
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm
Dlibbon wrote:

Jealous!
No pics, but 4 or 5 small suckers/chubs/whatevers. Hooked one trout that rolled at the surface and loosed himself.

Left early as opposed to succumbing to the temptation to whirl weighted wooly buggers about the heads of all the so-and-sos that decided 20 feet from me was the only place in the creek to fish instead of the other miles of water.

I am rethinking this "bad day fishing is better than a good day working" idea.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 pm
Dlibbon wrote:

Jealous!
No pics, but 4 or 5 small suckers/chubs/whatevers. Hooked one trout that rolled at the surface and loosed himself.

Left early as opposed to succumbing to the temptation to whirl weighted wooly buggers about the heads of all the so-and-sos that decided 20 feet from me was the only place in the creek to fish instead of the other miles of water.

I am rethinking this "bad day fishing is better than a good day working" idea.
It's nice to think the slobs will get the message that they've encroached if you pack up and leave when they move in on you. But we both know they don't care.

You'll feel better though.

Don't forget to warn them about the snakes on your way out.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I kind of thought that with my flailing..er..I mean casting, that smart folks would give me a safety/buffer area, but last summer I had a guy come in to the 5 feet next to me on my casting side on the Blue river in Silverthorne. He was upset that I didn't move to give him room...I guess he thought, I had taken a couple of casts and now it was his turn to fish that pool.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm

This is where I start talking like the old fart that I am!

I started fishing on the Western Slope in 1975. Fly fishermen were few and far between. One summer, I made it my plan to try to fish every inch of Lime Creek (between Silverton and Durango) that wasn’t a waterfall. And I did. All 12 or so miles of it from the tundra trickles to the roaring confluence with Cascade Creek. Over the course of three or four months I came across exactly two other fishermen.

Same for the Dolores River in the canyon below McPhee Reservoir in the 80s. Finest trout stream I've ever fished. Massive hatches. Full of 2-4 lb. cutthroat, browns and rainbows. Some smaller, a few bigger. The 15 or so miles where the river was paralleled by a dirt road between the dam and Bradfield Bridge might have 6 or 7 anglers on it on any given day, and it was likely you knew every one of them. We named the pools. We created the fly patterns. We were the first to guide it.

The San Juan had been discovered, but there was only one parking lot then, and it was just below Navajo Dam. If you went downstream a mile or three, you could bushwhack through the willows and pop out to see hundreds of trout rising to mayflies on any summer afternoon and not another angler in sight. The winter was even better. Massive midge hatches every day, all day. Mayflies most afternoons. Nobody there.

Blessedly alone on the San Juan:

Not another fisherman in sight in the Holy Water:

There were hundreds of miles of wilderness mountain streams, all full of trout, with absolutely nobody on them. On the rare occasion when you did see another fisherman you’d likely sit on the bank together and swap yarns and flies for a while before separating to fish, so glad were you to discover a kindred spirit.

The wilderness streams are still like that, but the big name rivers, even here, are getting crowded.
I haven’t fished in the Front Range in decades and likely won’t ever again.

Wilderness BC is as wonderfully lonely as ever. I’d love one more steelhead trip out of Smithers or, less adventuresome, on Vancouver Island. I’ve certainly got the bamboo Spey rods and the flies for it! I do look a bit of a crank fishing that steelhead gear on the Animas. Hoping to turn a few youngun’s heads with it on the Juan this summer, Lord willing.

Excuse me for a sec, “You kids, off my lawn!”

Where was I...

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:05 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Where was I...
You were telling us tales from the olden days, BTM (before the movie).

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

It's been a really long, exhausting stretch of weeks here, but today I got a break from work and Mrs Gabriel invited some of my kid's friends over and told me to go fishing all afternoon. It was about 50 deg. and sunny so I jumped all over it. The creek was flooded and muddy, so action at all, but darned if I didn't stay out there until it was too dark and cold anyway.

Great afternoon.
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:43 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:05 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Where was I...
You were telling us tales from the olden days, BTM (before the movie).
Yep. And your post reads very much like the book I've been reading. Something about chronicles of the San Juan.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm

I just found a podcast called Right Brain Retrieve by a couple fly fishing dudes who plan to dive in to the pool of creation by interviewing creators. Puckett is a painter and song writer, and Benson is a writer. I really like what they're layin' down and I hope they have a run of a few good years because I want to hear what others are doing and why they do it.

I've harped on this quite a bit around here, but we're wired to create. For a while, I got myself so wrapped up in chasing a buck that I didn't make time to create anything. Those years were miserable for me and those who had to live with me. I don't care if you make fake bugs, pipes, photographs, paintings, stories, pens, motorcycles, bowls, or bird houses - you need to be making something. We're made in the image of the daddy of all Creators after all.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm
I just found a podcast called Right Brain Retrieve by a couple fly fishing dudes who plan to dive in to the pool of creation by interviewing creators. Puckett is a painter and song writer, and Benson is a writer. I really like what they're layin' down and I hope they have a run of a few good years because I want to hear what others are doing and why they do it.

I've harped on this quite a bit around here, but we're wired to create. For a while, I got myself so wrapped up in chasing a buck that I didn't make time to create anything. Those years were miserable for me and those who had to live with me. I don't care if you make fake bugs, pipes, photographs, paintings, stories, pens, motorcycles, bowls, or bird houses - you need to be making something. We're made in the image of the daddy of all Creators after all.
Thanks Fred. I listened to 3 or 4 mins, and plan to listen to its entirety this week sometime.