The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22248
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 12, 2019 9:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Image
:D
Was my post sexist?
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11769
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm

I laughed, then showed my wife and daughter who were sitting next to me. My wife immediately asks what that makes a mother who likes to fish... <redacted_emoji>
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm
I laughed, then showed my wife and daughter who were sitting next to me. My wife immediately asks what that makes a mother who likes to fish...
A cool mom ...
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11769
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 12, 2019 9:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 pm
I laughed, then showed my wife and daughter who were sitting next to me. My wife immediately asks what that makes a mother who likes to fish...
A cool mom ...
Ha! That’s what I said.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24941
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:29 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm
Image
:D
Was my post sexist?
My 18 year old son and I haven't fished together in years.
He always had other things going on.
So late last night he comes into my room and says "I bought you a rod, lets go fishing tomorrow after dinner"
:D
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23157
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am

Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am
My 18 year old son and I haven't fished together in years.
He always had other things going on.
So late last night he comes into my room and says "I bought you a rod, lets go fishing tomorrow after dinner"
:D
Congratulations.

I had the opposite situation this weekend. My grandson and I have fished together his whole life. This weekend he came and got the kayaks to go fishing with his buddies and had the nerve to leave the old man at home.

Ungrateful punk.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8701
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 13, 2019 10:48 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:33 am
Hovannes wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:14 am
My 18 year old son and I haven't fished together in years.
He always had other things going on.
So late last night he comes into my room and says "I bought you a rod, lets go fishing tomorrow after dinner"
:D
Congratulations.

I had the opposite situation this weekend. My grandson and I have fished together his whole life. This weekend he came and got the kayaks to go fishing with his buddies and had the nerve to leave the old man at home.

Ungrateful punk.

I understand...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24941
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 15, 2019 8:51 pm

The lad re-spooled my reel with 8# Spiderwire EZ mono. The 6# that came with the rod had already started to fray.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22191
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am

The river is rising. According to the *Poudre Rock Report and my in-person visit it's up about a foot in the last week and a half. It's getting dirty and fast (shut up Jocose). I caught a brownie on my third cast, then nothing for 3 hours.

In other news, you realize how fat and out of shape you are when it starts raining at 7000' and you decide to sprint run jog the last hundred yards back to the car to get your rain jacket. I was gassed!

*This is an informal system for sharing river conditions. There's a rock just before the old Pine Vu (the website incorrectly names it Pine View) lodge that Mrs FredS's grandparents owned, with painted lines sort of like a reverse rain gauge. Kayakers and rafters are the primary users of this info but it's useful for fishers too. The rock report is more reliable than the USGS and state reports because their websites are down a lot.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 17, 2019 11:13 am

FredS wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am
The river is rising. According to the *Poudre Rock Report and my in-person visit it's up about a foot in the last week and a half. It's getting dirty and fast (shut up Jocose). I caught a brownie on my third cast, then nothing for 3 hours.

In other news, you realize how fat and out of shape you are when it starts raining at 7000' and you decide to sprint run jog the last hundred yards back to the car to get your rain jacket. I was gassed!

*This is an informal system for sharing river conditions. There's a rock just before the old Pine Vu (the website incorrectly names it Pine View) lodge that Mrs FredS's grandparents owned, with painted lines sort of like a reverse rain gauge. Kayakers and rafters are the primary users of this info but it's useful for fishers too. The rock report is more reliable than the USGS and state reports because their websites are down a lot.
If a man doesn’t have time to work on his conditioning, he should at least take a little time to work on his excuses.
Let me help, Fred, I’m an expert:

“I had to get back to my car to get my rain jacket and I was really winded; (here comes the “expert” part) man, that altitude sure makes a difference.”

You’re welcome.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22191
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri May 17, 2019 12:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:13 am
FredS wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:33 am
The river is rising. According to the *Poudre Rock Report and my in-person visit it's up about a foot in the last week and a half. It's getting dirty and fast (shut up Jocose). I caught a brownie on my third cast, then nothing for 3 hours.

In other news, you realize how fat and out of shape you are when it starts raining at 7000' and you decide to sprint run jog the last hundred yards back to the car to get your rain jacket. I was gassed!

*This is an informal system for sharing river conditions. There's a rock just before the old Pine Vu (the website incorrectly names it Pine View) lodge that Mrs FredS's grandparents owned, with painted lines sort of like a reverse rain gauge. Kayakers and rafters are the primary users of this info but it's useful for fishers too. The rock report is more reliable than the USGS and state reports because their websites are down a lot.
If a man doesn’t have time to work on his conditioning, he should at least take a little time to work on his excuses.
Let me help, Fred, I’m an expert:

“I had to get back to my car to get my rain jacket and I was really winded; (here comes the “expert” part) man, that altitude sure makes a difference.”

You’re welcome.
Thanks for the insider tip dp. I'll add it to my bag of excuses explanations. Right next to 'wind' knots, the glare of the sun, falling-rising-steady barometric pressure, and 'it's a strike indicator not a bobber".
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 24941
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Hovannes » Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 am

Sunday afternoon---the threat of lightning didn't stop us, but the pond is less than twenty acres so, I was told, we could get to safety quickly if the weather turned on us. It did rain for awhile though and soaked us good, but we didn't mind at all, The other father/sons supplied the bass boat, a Phoenix that looked like this one:
Image
We showed up with just our light spinning combos from Walmart and worms.
They have fished here before and brought bait casting gear and jigs and did very well---6 to 9 pounders! I did catch a 3 pounder on a worm but my son had no luck, so they gave him a jig and he finally caught a 4 pounder so we didn't get skunked.
At the end of the day we threw back about 40 pounds of bass!
It was a beautiful day on the water (five hours!) with plenty of wildlife---ducks, geese, egrets, etc...
We had a great time
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22191
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 am

^nice
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 20, 2019 9:09 am

FredS wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 am
^nice
Yes!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8701
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Sounds like a good day!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22191
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon May 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am
Sounds like a good day!
Any day you spend 5 hours in a boat and walk away without sunburn is a good day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 8701
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 pm

8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Post Reply