The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am
JimVH wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm
This my buddy, Redgy. He's been my neighbor for a couple of years after growing up in the Bronx. We were talking the other day and I found out he's never been fishing.

Never. Been. Fishing.

We fixed that today. We didn't catch anything, but he did get a nice one to the bank before losing it. He'll soon be heading back to New York and least he's got a fish story to take with him.

I just got word that my buddy Redgy died recently. We only got to fish a couple of times, but man we had good fun.
This is heart breaking news...I am so sorry I know that he was touched by your input in his life and that pic shows it. Praying now.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:29 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:04 am
JimVH wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am
JimVH wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm
This my buddy, Redgy. He's been my neighbor for a couple of years after growing up in the Bronx. We were talking the other day and I found out he's never been fishing.

Never. Been. Fishing.

We fixed that today. We didn't catch anything, but he did get a nice one to the bank before losing it. He'll soon be heading back to New York and least he's got a fish story to take with him.

I just got word that my buddy Redgy died recently. We only got to fish a couple of times, but man we had good fun.
This is heart breaking news...I am so sorry I know that he was touched by your input in his life and that pic shows it. Praying now.
Very sorry to hear this, Jim.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am

My main fishing grounds have been locked down for two months due to wildfire.

My secondary fishing grounds - the Big Thompson river - has been locked down for a week. The road through the canyon is now open, but the national forest is still technically closed and the homes there are under voluntary evacuation orders so I don't feel right recreating there. Of course my feelings on that are subject to change if I start jonesing too much.

A third spot I've been online scouting and planned to hit yesterday - South Saint Vrain Creek southwest of Lyons, CO - is now on fire. That's in a mountainous "suburb" of Boulder that caught fire a couple days ago and, unfortunately, many homes have been lost there and the roads in the area are closed.

The only other area I'm familiar with, and that's within a reasonable drive for a half-day trip is in the Medicine Bow National Forest west of Laramie, WY, and that area is closed due to the Mullen Fire.

I know, I know. People are dying. Losing jobs. Losing homes. Losing their savings. And I'm bitching about not being able to fish. Sue me. I'll be happy to see 2020 in the rear view mirror.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am

Maybe it's time to break out the bass and bluegill box and hit up some local ponds for what my grandson calls "hot water" fishing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Going out tonight. It will be low tide, but I got a pretty good bite last time.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 pm

Fulfilled something off my list today and caught my first trout on a flyrod. I realize that’s normal for some of yall, but it’s a big deal for me. Caught two of these guys in the Red River at Red River Gorge in KY on one of my own patterns. So fun. They also never stop moving, so getting a good pic was hard.

Sola Deo Gloria

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 pm
Low tide plushigh wind=bad time

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:19 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:55 pm
Fulfilled something off my list today and caught my first trout on a flyrod. I realize that’s normal for some of yall, but it’s a big deal for me. Caught two of these guys in the Red River at Red River Gorge in KY on one of my own patterns. So fun. They also never stop moving, so getting a good pic was hard.

Yay!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:35 am

Gabriel wrote:
. . . They also never stop moving, so getting a good pic was hard.
That's one reason they're such fun to catch. Healthy rainbows don't give up. In fact, if you plan to release them you need to help them regain their strength and stability if they've fought to the point of exhaustion.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 am

Gabriel wrote:

Beautiful!
"If you don't love Jesus you can go to Hell". Billy Joe Shaver

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:50 pm
Fainn wrote:
Slack low tide plus anything typically but not always = bad time. Depends where you fish, and the target fish.

Incoming tide, October, high wind/rough muddy surf = good conditions for large spawning redfish however.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:26 am
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Slack low tide plus anything typically but not always = bad time. Depends where you fish, and the target fish.

Incoming tide, October, high wind/rough muddy surf = good conditions for large spawning redfish however.
How do you make a rig?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:

How do you make a rig?
I've got a few things to put in the mail first chance I get. You like pier fishing, right? Btw, best wishes with the latest storm. Looks like SE LA and you guys are getting some wind and water this evening.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:45 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:05 pm
Fainn wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:

How do you make a rig?
I've got a few things to put in the mail first chance I get. You like pier fishing, right? Btw, best wishes with the latest storm. Looks like SE LA and you guys are getting some wind and water this evening.
I don't know if pier3 fishis best, but it's free.