The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm

I ran across this on another forum and I liked it...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm

We had heavy rain all week and I went to the beach today. 20 anglers and not a single bite for anyone. At least I have mastered casting all types of rods.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:24 am

Full moon approaching.
I need to tie a few bluegill flies and fish my pond.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 am

Explored some new water yesterday. I saw fish, but couldn't catch any. Didn't see another person for miles.

This what you want to see when you're prospecting. Bad roads = fewer people

The roads weren't that bad.

Looking north to Wyoming from 7500 ft

Sheep Creek. Lots of same-day moose prints in the snow and scat so fresh I could smell it. I've never walked up on a moose and the thought of it gives me the willies. When yer in moose country every shadow, rock, and bush looks like a moose.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:38 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:05 am
Explored some new water yesterday. I saw fish, but couldn't catch any. Didn't see another person for miles.

This what you want to see when you're prospecting. Bad roads = fewer people

The roads weren't that bad.

Looking north to Wyoming from 7500 ft

Sheep Creek. Lots of same-day moose prints in the snow and scat so fresh I could smell it. I've never walked up on a moose and the thought of it gives me the willies. When yer in moose country every shadow, rock, and bush looks like a moose.
Looks wonderful!
Always fun finding new water.

From the looks of it, I bet the water was cold.
The trout might not have needed to eat more than a bug a day. :D
The majority is always wrong; the minority is rarely right.
Henrik Ibsen

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:38 pm

From the looks of it, I bet the water was cold.
The trout might not have needed to eat more than a bug a day. :D
Oh it was plenty cold. I didn't drop my thermometer in (I don't even know why I carry it, if I'm at the water anyway, it's temperature won't determine if I fish or not, except maybe August) so I don't know how cold, but those ice shelves were adding 33 water at a pretty good pace. And yeah, I didn't see any fish feeding. There was a short hatch of small midges mid-afternoon and they paid no attention. This will be fun to fish with a #14 Humpy in July.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Sat May 01, 2021 2:34 pm

A couple of weeks ago, Son1 asked me to go on a backpacking trip with him. We need some time together again, it’s been a while. He has been backpacking, mountain biking and snow boarding with friends, but I don’t get invited. Understandable given his age, but still, I tried to teach him that family is important. We have to choose to maintain those relationships and it’s something a person carries with them into a marriage too.

Anyway, we have decided to backpack the eastern Sierras. Lots of trout live there. I’m going to buy myself a 4 piece 4 weight fly rod, probably another Redington Classic Trout that will pair well with the two piece 6 weight I already have. Though the six weight will stay home this trip.

I need to do this sort of thing more again anyway, with or without the boys. Unfortunately son2 due to his sickle cell trait cannot handle high elevations. But I will be sure to spend time with him fishing inshore and surf at home. I think I’m going to invest in an 8 or 9 weight fast action fly rod for that.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm

Question: There is a seawall made of demolition rubble. Is it possible some of the rubble made its way into the water? Even a 1000 feet from shore?

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 02, 2021 6:51 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Question: There is a seawall made of demolition rubble. Is it possible some of the rubble made its way into the water? Even a 1000 feet from shore?
Anything is possible when it comes to the sea.
There are breakwaters here made from cast concrete shaped like huge jacks. Each one is numbered and the exact location recorded with GPS.
And they will move over the course of time.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:34 pm
A couple of weeks ago, Son1 asked me to go on a backpacking trip with him. We need some time together again, it’s been a while. He has been backpacking, mountain biking and snow boarding with friends, but I don’t get invited. Understandable given his age, but still, I tried to teach him that family is important. We have to choose to maintain those relationships and it’s something a person carries with them into a marriage too.

Anyway, we have decided to backpack the eastern Sierras. Lots of trout live there. I’m going to buy myself a 4 piece 4 weight fly rod, probably another Redington Classic Trout that will pair well with the two piece 6 weight I already have. Though the six weight will stay home this trip.

I need to do this sort of thing more again anyway, with or without the boys. Unfortunately son2 due to his sickle cell trait cannot handle high elevations. But I will be sure to spend time with him fishing inshore and surf at home. I think I’m going to invest in an 8 or 9 weight fast action fly rod for that.
You're a good dad! :D
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 02, 2021 10:10 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:58 am
Thunktank wrote:

You're a good dad! :D
^ This.
Henrik Ibsen

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon May 03, 2021 7:25 am

Hip new clothing for the Tenkara fisherman ...

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... ility-wear

:rotfl:
Henrik Ibsen

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon May 03, 2021 8:14 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:25 am
Hip new clothing for the Tenkara fisherman ...

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... ility-wear

:rotfl:
From dp's article - “It’s just one of those things where it’s a cultural and marketing grab that seems incredibly disingenuous.”

It reminds me of this:

Hipster hot rodders in the Kustom Kulture picked up the Von Dutch as a throwback to early rodders of the 50's. Then skaters picked up on it. From there it was a quick step over to hip hop.

Kenny Howard (Von Dutch) was an antisocial racist who lived in a shack/trailer and died from booze. He was also a fantastic pin striper, sign painter, and gun builder. I'm sure he'd be a skinhead today.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

I caught two of these using a guitar pic. What is it?

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 04, 2021 9:43 am

Thunktank wrote:

I had a 7 1/2’ 4pc. 4 wt. Classic Trout, and I loved it - would have gotten another this spring (actually ordered one) if they'd been in stock.

I don’t know what saltwater rod you’re looking at, Thunk. But I have a couple of suggestions ...

Sage has discontinued an earlier “ultra fast” rated rod, the Method. I’ve cast a 9’ 8 wt. Method, and it was fantastic. (I have a Method Spey rod and it’s one of my favorites). I see that there are still a few dealers selling the remaining stock at a deep discount. If you can find one and want to spend that much you won't be disappointed.

A really under appreciated (and underpriced) rod is the Redington Path. I’ve had them from 5wt. to 8wt. and found them to be beautifully casting rods with lots of power and speed for tight loops into the wind. Sage/Redington rates them as “moderately fast”; I’d call them “fast”. But they load easily for shorter casts, as well. I guess they’re moderately fast compared with Sage’s insanely stiff saltwater rods. And the price is fantastic. Truth be told, I thought the whole Path line was better in the hand and on the river than many of the high-end, ultra-fast Sage rods.

I’ve managed to give all of my Path rods away. I fish a very old Sage RPL in 8wt., and an equally old Winston IM6 in 6wt. They’re old and familiar, with lots of miles on them, like me. :D
Henrik Ibsen

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:43 am
Thunktank wrote:

I had a 7 1/2’ 4pc. 4 wt. Classic Trout, and I loved it - would have gotten another this spring (actually ordered one) if they'd been in stock.

I don’t know what saltwater rod you’re looking at, Thunk. But I have a couple of suggestions ...

Sage has discontinued an earlier “ultra fast” rated rod, the Method. I’ve cast a 9’ 8 wt. Method, and it was fantastic. (I have a Method Spey rod and it’s one of my favorites). I see that there are still a few dealers selling the remaining stock at a deep discount. If you can find one and want to spend that much you won't be disappointed.

A really under appreciated (and underpriced) rod is the Redington Path. I’ve had them from 5wt. to 8wt. and found them to be beautifully casting rods with lots of power and speed for tight loops into the wind. Sage/Redington rates them as “moderately fast”; I’d call them “fast”. But they load easily for shorter casts, as well. I guess they’re moderately fast compared with Sage’s insanely stiff saltwater rods. And the price is fantastic. Truth be told, I thought the whole Path line was better in the hand and on the river than many of the high-end, ultra-fast Sage rods.

I’ve managed to give all of my Path rods away. I fish a very old Sage RPL in 8wt., and an equally old Winston IM6 in 6wt. They’re old and familiar, with lots of miles on them, like me. :D
I haven’t yet decided what salt water rod I was going after. I posted that here hoping you would give me some suggestions. It worked. :D

I just know I needed something faster than the Classic Trout for the salt. Even so, a lot of surf fishing we do here is up close as well, so having the ability to load it up close is still important.

I’m still debating over the 4 weight trout rod. I’m tempted to go down to a 2 or 3 weight. The Golden Trout Wilderness and the two or three little trout streams we have in Southern California that have wild trout have small trout. Twelve inches is huge! Most are six to nine inches long. Beautiful fish in beautiful places, but tiny.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:22 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I haven’t yet decided what salt water rod I was going after. I posted that here hoping you would give me some suggestions. It worked. :D

I just know I needed something faster than the classic trout for the salt. Even so, a lot of surf fishing we do here is up close as well, so having the ability to load it up close is still important.

I’m still debating over the 4 weight trout rod. I’m tempted to go down to a 2 or 3 weight. The Golden Trout Wilderness and the two or three little trout streams we have in Southern California that have wild trout have small trout. Twelve inches is huge! Most are six to nine inches long. Beautiful fish in beautiful places, but tiny.
The choice is not at all critical, and to some extent it depends on just how many fly rods you can afford or think you want to have. A 4wt. Is far more versatile and not at all too much rod for a small stream. But if you think you can cover the water a 4wt. would be better for with another setup you have (a litter bigger stream, maybe with more wind), having a short 3wt. for small streams is a delight.

I currently have three 3wts. (I’ve had more), and when I was fishing a lot I managed to use (and felt I needed) them all.

Of course when we were young we all usually had one fly rod. (Mine was an 8 1/2’ fiberglass, Fenwick 6wt). We managed to fish everything we came across with it, and we were very happy having “a” fly rod. I even managed to function for years with a (shudder) level line without any taper and still managed to cast just fine and catch fish.

I imagine, if I had to, I could go back to having one basic rod, one inexpensive reel and one cheap line and be perfectly happy.
I think. :?
Henrik Ibsen

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 04, 2021 3:09 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Just to throw out another 8 9 or 10 weight option, I recently had the chance to do some business with Colton Fly Rods and I couldn't be more happy with the situation.

https://www.coltonfly.com/fly-rods.php

And they have some fantastic deals on their rods both salt and trout. I wound up with a 6wt 9 foot trout rod and it is a beauty and while I have only lawn cast it, I think I am really going to like it...it is the only non fiberglass rod I have.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

Sorry, just saw this. I'm pretty sure it's a croaker. Search for Atlantic croaker online, but if it was croaking a very audible low-pitched "croooaaak", then you can pretty much confirm that it's a croaker. They typically don't get very big, and they have small bones, and we always throw them back. For sure don't try to feed it to your young one, or your wife or perhaps even you, for fear of small bones. Growing up, we never kept them, and if we didn't catch anything else, then Dad would typically stop at the grocery on the way home and buy fish sticks, or maybe salmon for croquettes.

That's a guitar pic type I haven't seen before, btw.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue May 04, 2021 8:15 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Fainn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am

Sorry, just saw this. I'm pretty sure it's a croaker. Search for Atlantic croaker online, but if it was croaking a very audible low-pitched "croooaaak", then you can pretty much confirm that it's a croaker. They typically don't get very big, and they have small bones, and we always throw them back. For sure don't try to feed it to your young one, or your wife or perhaps even you, for fear of small bones. Growing up, we never kept them, and if we didn't catch anything else, then Dad would typically stop at the grocery on the way home and buy fish sticks, or maybe salmon for croquettes.

That's a guitar pic type I haven't seen before, btw.
The pick was closer to the pryamid weight,