The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

I found where the fish are and the set-up to use.
Sadly, my rod was not able to keep up and I need more power.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm

Well...we are supposed to get a bunch of snow this weekend, so I won't be fishing...but I am for sure getting the bug to get on the water...so I started getting some gear out...and I am going to stop using PostImage and start using IMGUR so this is a test run
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 pm

Forget the fishing - tell me about the Tin Cup. I picked up a bottle on sale two weeks ago but haven't opened it yet.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:59 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 pm
Forget the fishing - tell me about the Tin Cup. I picked up a bottle on sale two weeks ago but haven't opened it yet.
You are gonna like it. After the guys who opened Stanahans fell into disagreement. One of them kept Stranahans and the other one...the blender/taster/distiller guy opened up TinCup.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm
Well...we are supposed to get a bunch of snow this weekend, so I won't be fishing...but I am for sure getting the bug to get on the water...so I started getting some gear out...and I am going to stop using PostImage and start using IMGUR so this is a test run
I like that 1495 Pflueger.
I’ve got a 1494 I’ve had forever - my first “good” reel.
I’d never part with it.

(Sweet fish knife, too.)
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:27 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:14 pm
You are gonna like it. After the guys who opened Stanahans fell into disagreement. One of them kept Stranahans and the other one...the blender/taster/distiller guy opened up TinCup.
Sorry for taking this further from fishing, but hey, CPS does what CPS does. . .

Your info is interesting. I don't keep up with the Colorado whiskey scene but thought this was just a side project and didn't realize this distiller had split with his partners. In fact, I've read that Tin Cup has a bit of Stranahan's Single Barrel whiskey in it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:23 am

So ...

Big pre-season pro sale for Sage/Redington/Rio opened this morning. I very excitedly went online to order a new pair of wader pants and a euro-nymph Rod.

The wader pants are sold out, not available.
The euro-nymph rod is backordered and not available until at least June.

I mumbled an obscenity or two under my breath and logged out without ordering anything.
I’ll still have my regular discount after the pre-season sale ends if I still want the rod I’ll buy it when it’s ready to ship.

I’ve got a couple of 11’ 6” trout switch rods. Maybe I’ll just high stick with those.
(Of course, they weigh a ton compared to a euro-nymph and the lightest is equivalent to an AFTMA 6wt. :facepalm:)

Back to the original plan:

Swing Atlantic salmon flies with a bamboo Spey rod even when the trout are taking midges. If I smoke a pipe, wear my Scottish tweed hat, a ticked dress shirt and woven tie with a wool vest (maybe some leaky, old, rubber waders), people will just think I’m a crazy old Scotsman and give me a wide berth. I’ll have whatever water I want to myself.

:lol:
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:29 am

Being thought an eccentric has it's benefits.
Look how this place fawns over Morely when he's being a dick.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Scott, Steve, and Fred, all good posts. Great pic, Scott.
Steve when u get your stuff post some pics. Fred, I really enjoyed the Stranahan when I was in Springs a few years ago, and it was Scott that put me on to Tin Cup. I've been through 2 or 3 bottles since then, serve it to guests also. It's a very nice drink.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

I went ahead and ordered a 7 1/2’ 4wt. Redington Classic Trout rod to replace the one my son took home to Oregon, and some tippet.

I would have ordered a 3wt., too, but they were on backorder.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:23 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm
I went ahead and ordered a 7 1/2’ 4wt. Redington Classic Trout rod to replace the one my son took home to Oregon, and some tippet.

By the time I got around to trying to use the coupon Redington gave me to order waders - I was going to get chesties and pants - they were sold out. :x

When I was at my local Farm & Ranch & Outdoor shop last night though I saw some Redington stock in the fly shop so that's good. Jax sells at suggested retail prices and never has sales, so their stuff doesn't move very fast. The rods I was looking at could have been setting there for 3 years for all I know. They have a better selection of fly tying supplies than my local fly shop does and their prices on that stuff are pretty much the same as everywhere else.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:57 pm

A cold front got rid of all the nice weather. Meanwhile, I think instead of changing tactics or location, I should change the fish I am going for because I have mad trout and bluegill skills.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Warm sunny days are here. Also had a new fly box come packaged with line. Time to organize this seasons fly boxes...

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:34 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:44 pm
Warm sunny days are here. Also had a new fly box come packaged with line. Time to organize this seasons fly boxes...

Nice.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 pm

It's been a while since I posted a pic here. My grandson and I stopped by the duck lease last week and were casting a chartreuse wiggle tail along a shoreline. It was an impromptu trip, without a net or ice chest, and in a matter of a few minutes ended up keeping 6 crappie, just tossing them into some grass in the truck bed, icing them down later. They fileted nicely. I lost count how many more we threw back, but also caught and released a nice 3-lb catfish, and 4 nice bass, all caught on the same lure.

The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:58 pm

yum

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 am

Mrs FredS and I spent Easter in the mountains. It was almost 80 degrees and the water was mostly open and starting to flow nicely. As usual, I didn't take fishing gear because when I fish I fish and tend not to be very company to Mrs FredS. A young couple came by all decked out with new fishing gear. The guy looked disappointed when he saw us and I could tell he planned to teach his girl to fly fish in the pool we were sitting over. It's a wide sweeper with a vertical wall and deep pool on the outside and a nice rocky beach on the inside. Perfect for beginners. It looks wonderful but rarely holds fish and gets hammered hard. I waved them over to take the spot and we moved downriver. He was very patient, the way a young guy is when he doesn't want to spoil his chance at sex later. They only fished 15 or 20 minutes.

The night before, Mrs FredS and I ate some sandwiches for dinner at a park in town. It straddles a creek that's been artificially fitted with boulders to make pools and riffles and all sorts of places for kids to rock hop and wade. You know what I like more than seeing kids play in a creek? Nothing. Not one damn thing. ('Cept seeing kids fish.) Anyway, we strolled along the creek after our dinner and were swarmed by midges. Fat, juicy size 20 black midges. Mrs FredS swatted and swore the whole time and was certain they were biting her.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:09 am
They only fished 15 or 20 minutes.
Foreplay.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Ah, commerce ...

Redington rod arrived today.

They shipped the 3 wt. they said they didn't have, not the 4 wt. they said they did.
Fine with me. I wanted the 3 wt. more. (My son took the 3 wt. I had, too. And an 8 wt.) :D

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:16 pm

Wow, that looks great.

Also, got out by myself for several hours on the river tonight for the first time this year. Got rained on a bit, smoked a fantastic cigar, and caught a few fish. Loved it.

Mrs Simpson was getting it done tonight:
Sola Deo Gloria