The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 pm

Smallmouth were aggressive tonight! Clouser minnows for the win.

A little help from the bank

The hike in was pretty nice too (cell phone pics never do this justice...)
Sola Deo Gloria

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:15 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm
Fainn wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 am
I caught two of these using a guitar pic. What is it?

Sorry, just saw this. I'm pretty sure it's a croaker. Search for Atlantic croaker online, but if it was croaking a very audible low-pitched "croooaaak", then you can pretty much confirm that it's a croaker. They typically don't get very big, and they have small bones, and we always throw them back. For sure don't try to feed it to your young one, or your wife or perhaps even you, for fear of small bones. Growing up, we never kept them, and if we didn't catch anything else, then Dad would typically stop at the grocery on the way home and buy fish sticks, or maybe salmon for croquettes.

That's a guitar pic type I haven't seen before, btw.
The pick was closer to the pryamid weight. I posted the pic on a local FB group and they also said "croaker".
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 pm
Smallmouth were aggressive tonight! Clouser minnows for the win.

A little help from the bank

The hike in was pretty nice too (cell phone pics never do this justice...)
:chili: :chili: :chili:
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm

So do you guys wet a knot when you make it? I always figured it allows the knot to cinch tighter but I read an article saying it can actually make the knot weaker. It was referencing mono in the article

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun May 09, 2021 2:13 am

BeefyG wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:47 pm
So do you guys wet a knot when you make it? I always figured it allows the knot to cinch tighter but I read an article saying it can actually make the knot weaker. It was referencing mono in the article
I wet the knot.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 am

BeefyG wrote:
If I was ever aware of wetting a knot then I've forgotten about it. I'm thinking that pretty much all of my fishing knots get wet, but I searched Google anyway to see about any other particular wetting, and I'd have to say that I don't do that. I know guys that soak a spool of mono line in hot water prior to putting it on their reels, but I notice that they still get back lashes and tangles just like I do.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun May 09, 2021 6:41 am

"Swordfish have been known to live for as long as 25 to 30 pounds"

http://www.asksaltwaterfishing.com/how- ... dfish.html

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 am
BeefyG wrote:
If I was ever aware of wetting a knot then I've forgotten about it. I'm thinking that pretty much all of my fishing knots get wet, but I searched Google anyway to see about any other particular wetting, and I'd have to say that I don't do that. I know guys that soak a spool of mono line in hot water prior to putting it on their reels, but I notice that they still get back lashes and tangles just like I do.
I do - with saliva.
The intention is to lubricate the mono so the knot sets properly.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 09, 2021 10:09 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 4:34 am
BeefyG wrote:
I do - with saliva.
The intention is to lubricate the mono so the knot sets properly.
This. I do it every time and my knots are better for it.
Sola Deo Gloria

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Sun May 09, 2021 11:05 am

I’ve always used saliva as well. This was the article: https://flylifemagazine.com/tips-tactic ... 86BFwTQR84

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 09, 2021 8:17 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:05 am
I’ve always used saliva as well. This was the article: https://flylifemagazine.com/tips-tactic ... 86BFwTQR84
Thanks for the link, Beefy.

“I fish with a guy ...”

If the knot is lubricated, set with a slow, steady, strong pull it will not form a false knot.
If the setting is rushed and/or the pull is erratic a false knot will form. Slow speed and a steady pull strong enough to keep the set moving are the most critical factors. Lubrication assists the completion of a steady, not hurky-jerky, stop-start pull. And yes, this is true even with modern, slick mono.

Maybe the fishing friend is a materials scientist going on theory or experience in the lab with trained technicians. This reminds me of the “lab results” that “proved” there was no difference in mortality when trout were hooked and released with either barbed or barbless hooks. In the field, however, with a random sample of fisherman there is a tremendous difference.

Those lab results (supported by the usually reliable and hugely influential Dr. Robert Behnke at CSU) kept Colorado from adopting a barbless hook requirement for catch and release fishing. We guides saw the consequences in dead fish, fish with fungus infections in the shape of anglers’ hands - and the difference between trout released where barbless hooks were required and where they were not. The lab was not the stream. The lab techs were not the average fisherman.

I tied a bazillion mono knots every season when I was guiding. If I failed to wet the knot or rushed the knot set I sometimes got a false knot or the knot failed as it was being set. If I wet the knot and set it with a slow steady pull I never got one. I watched thousands of fisherman fail to properly set dry knots, and very few fail to properly set a wet, lubricated one.

Another point: knots tied in heavy monofilament can be set with bare hands if lubricated with saliva. Without it, you need tools or gloves or you’ll slice your fingers. Even for a trout fisherman this matters if you’re rebuilding a leader in the field.

I’ll go with my experience on this one.

But I’d suggest this: Everyone should try both methods and see what works in their experience.

And report back!

:pipe3:

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 pm

I always lube it with saliva and go slowish (stop snickering Jocose). Saliva lubricates it so the line doesn't get hot and saliva plus a slowish draw down stops false knots from forming before everything is cinched correctly. If I happen to be standing in deep water and I don't care if my hands or fly get wet I might just dunk the knot instead of using saliva.

I know first hand how easy it is to heat mono when using a leader straightener. I've also burned my hands when big fish pulled mono through my hands. If the line heats up enough to burn flesh, I'm sure it heats up enough to weaken a knot especially knots like a blood knot that has a lot of surface area contact. That's probably more heat than you get with a clinch knot but to suggest that smooth surfaces don't see heat from friction is wrong.

DP - It seems like you're saying the higher real-world mortality rate you saw in fish released from barbed hooks was/is because the fish needed to be handled more or longer to remove barbed hooks, thereby removing more slime? I've also seen stories that say barbed hooks make or leave a larger hole in the lips and I've even seen claims that barbless hooks hold better because the smaller penetration doesn't rip a hole like that of a barbed hook. I'm not sure that's true. I know I tend to land more fish with barbless hooks than less experienced fishermen with barbed hooks, except those using the dreaded treble hooks, but I think that's due more to technique more than type. I hate seeing guys using treble hooks in C&R water.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 am

FredS wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 pm
...I know I tend to land more fish with barbless hooks than less experienced fishermen like Bloodhound...

Fixed it for you :wavey:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 11, 2021 1:44 pm

“FredS” wrote:DP - It seems like you're saying the higher real-world mortality rate you saw in fish released from barbed hooks was/is because the fish needed to be handled more or longer to remove barbed hooks, thereby removing more slime? Yes, and the fish are also usually gripped harder, bruising internal organs. I've also seen stories that say barbed hooks make or leave a larger hole in the lips and I've even seen claims that barbless hooks hold better because the smaller penetration doesn't rip a hole like that of a barbed hook. Barbless hooks almost always penetrate deeply on the hook set while barbed hooks often do not - especially when fishing with light tippets, barbless hooks offer a huge advantage.I'm not sure that's true. I know I tend to land more fish with barbless hooks than less experienced fishermen with barbed hooks, except those using the dreaded treble hooks, but I think that's due more to technique more than type. I hate seeing guys using treble hooks in C&R water.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 am
FredS wrote:
...I know I tend to land more fish with barbless hooks than less experienced fishermen like Bloodhound...
That presentation we saw at the fly fishing show in Denver a few years ago changed my fish-fighting game entirely. That guys "set the angles" method of holding the rod low and more or less parallel to the water and opposite of the way the fish wants to go was an eye opener. I don't want to sound like a fish whisperer, but it's almost like you can sense when and which way they're going to run after a while so you're making adjustments in lock-step with the fish. I still get caught off guard with my rod straight up (stop snickering Jocose) way over my head and backpedaling for all I'm worth once in a while, but it's rare.

You're problem, my friend, is that you don't fish enough. You need to stop letting s*** like church, family, and work get in the way of time on the water. :chili:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 12, 2021 3:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:19 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:30 am
FredS wrote:
That presentation we saw at the fly fishing show in Denver a few years ago changed my fish-fighting game entirely. That guys "set the angles" method of holding the rod low and more or less parallel to the water and opposite of the way the fish wants to go was an eye opener. I don't want to sound like a fish whisperer, but it's almost like you can sense when and which way they're going to run after a while so you're making adjustments in lock-step with the fish. I still get caught off guard with my rod straight up (stop snickering Jocose) way over my head and backpedaling for all I'm worth once in a while, but it's rare.

You're problem, my friend, is that you don't fish enough. You need to stop letting s*** like church, family, and work get in the way of time on the water. :chili:
You are so wise and oh so correct...I am going to endeavor to work on those issues this summer.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu May 13, 2021 7:10 am

Does a flounder almost look like an owl underwater?

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm

I went to the cabin this past weekend to get it opened up for the season. I also hoped to fish the Rio Grande between Creede and South Fork. I took my Fenwick FF86 and was stoked to get one of my favorite rods back on the water. I was stunned when I saw how high the water was. The Run-Off is in full swing in the South-Western part of the state.

So after dealing with a plumbing issue at the cabin on Saturday, I hit some small water on South Clear Creek and a small lake behind a beaver dam at about 10,000 feet. I used a smaller rod, that I keep at the cabin, a Lews 5wgt graphite. There is still a little snow up there, but its gonna be a dry dry summer for that part of the state.

No fish were caught, I forgot the camera and phone in the 4Runner so no pics. Just a report.
Last edited by Bloodhound on Mon May 17, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon May 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm
I went to the cabin this past weekend to get it opened up for the season. I also hoped to fish the Rio Grande between Creede and South Fork. I took my Fenwick FF86 and was stoked to get one of my favorite rods back on the water. I was stunned when I saw how high the water was. The Run-Off is in full swing in the South-Western part of the state.

So after dealing with a plumbing issue at the cabin on Saturday, I hit some small water on South Clear Creek and a small lake behind a beaver dam at about 10,000 feet. I used a smaller rod, that I keep bat the cabin, a Lews 5wgt graphite. There is still a little snow up there, but its gonna be a dry dry summer for that part of the state.

No fish were caught, I forgot the camera and phone in the 4Runner so no pics. Just a report.
I need photographic evidence that you forgot your camera.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Fainn wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:04 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm

So after dealing with a plumbing issue at the cabin on Saturday, I hit some small water on South Clear Creek and a small lake behind a beaver dam at about 10,000 feet. I used a smaller rod, that I keep bat the cabin, a Lews 5wgt graphite. There is still a little snow up there, but its gonna be a dry dry summer for that part of the state.

I need photographic evidence that you forgot your camera.

:facepalm: 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )