The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Fainn wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:04 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:00 pm
I went to the cabin this past weekend to get it opened up for the season. I also hoped to fish the Rio Grande between Creede and South Fork. I took my Fenwick FF86 and was stoked to get one of my favorite rods back on the water. I was stunned when I saw how high the water was. The Run-Off is in full swing in the South-Western part of the state.

So after dealing with a plumbing issue at the cabin on Saturday, I hit some small water on South Clear Creek and a small lake behind a beaver dam at about 10,000 feet. I used a smaller rod, that I keep bat the cabin, a Lews 5wgt graphite. There is still a little snow up there, but its gonna be a dry dry summer for that part of the state.

No fish were caught, I forgot the camera and phone in the 4Runner so no pics. Just a report.
I need photographic evidence that you forgot your camera.

:facepalm: 8)

Fish, Smish.
Sounds like great time to me, Scott.
I'm still cleaning up end-of-term stuff and haven't gotten out yet.

What little snow we have is coming down fast now. I imagine we're at peak runoff, meager as it is, here too.

My good hunting and fishing buddy, Bob (with whom I'm shooting clays once a week again), gave me a long, sad update on the local streams the last time we were together. He fished them a lot last summer and he fears the fish kill caused by low, warm water has been severe. On Lime Creek, a stream we both know well and dearly love, we used to easily catch trout beyond counting. Hundred fish days were typical, if you bothered to count. There'd be several fish in every place you'd expect one and many in places you didn't. The last day he and another friend fished it last summer they rose (and saw) one fish between them. I plan, of course, to do my own survey this summer, but I'm very concerned.

The Dolores River below McPhee Reservoir was once my all-time favorite fishery (far, far better than the San Juan and far, far less crowded) in the 80s. Massive mayfly hatches. Countless, heavy rising trout. Maybe a handful of fishermen in the miles of readily accessible water between the dam and Bradfield Bridge. In the summer of '91, the BOR turned off the spigots and slowed the river to 20CFS. The low, warm water killed off 80% of the trout biomass; still, it remained a reasonably decent fishery - with far fewer trout and diminished hatches, but still some nice fish and some reasonable hatches here and there. The river is now running below 5 CFS and is likely to stay there through the summer.

The five rivers that make up the San Juan watershed (The San Juan and its east and west forks, the Piedra, Pine, Florida and Animas) all have far below normal snow in their headwaters.

All of this was world-class trout fishing for most of my time here.

We'll need rain and a lot of it if those rivers are to survive another summer.

I'll hope to get out no matter the conditions (unless the water gets too warm for it to be ethical) and I'll hope for the best.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 18, 2021 4:47 pm

Meanwhile ... I was looking for a photograph and in the process stumbled across some I'd forgotten about that I thought I might post here.

First, the second oldest reel I still have in my possession (not the oldest by date of manufacture, but by when I got them) is this Shakespeare Speedex Multiplier made by J.W. Young. It's the wide spool version and it holds well over a hundred yards of #20 backing with a WF-8 floating line:

Image Image

I had the narrow spool version, too, but it has long since worn out (the nylon gears inside do eventually wear down to nubs) and gotten lost somewhere.

I found this photo of a cutthroat that I don't remember taking. By the looks of it, it came from the upper reaches of Lime Creek probably near 11'000' in elevation:

I also stumbled across a mess of photos of our long-gone dogs that sure put a lump in my throat.
I showed them to my wife. Bad idea. She teared up.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm

I'm at several other people on the pier and everyone else had the same luck. It seems like about better when the crest of the wave are more rounded as opposed to being sharp.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue May 18, 2021 5:39 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm
I'm at several other people on the pier and everyone else had the same luck. It seems like about better when the crest of the wave are more rounded as opposed to being sharp.
You're zeroing in on it Fainn. Would you have even noticed the difference in wave forms 6 months ago? Some days you catch fish. Some days you learn how not to catch fish. It's nice that you're not getting (too) discouraged by the slow days.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:39 pm
Fainn wrote:
You're zeroing in on it Fainn. Would you have even noticed the difference in wave forms 6 months ago? Some days you catch fish. Some days you learn how not to catch fish. It's nice that you're not getting (too) discouraged by the slow days.
Does a flounder look like a smushed owl underwater?

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 pm
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Maybe, in answer to your question. And I'm not being a smartellic. Are you doing some nighttime gigging? I'm not sure gigging is still legal here in TX. But anyway mostly you'll just see a rounded shape, sometimes covered with sand or mud or silt. Sometimes the entire fish is visible, but it depends on various things. There's pics on Google.
Wrt your comment on waves, I presume you're referring to where you see breakers. You can easy tell where the sand bars are, and where the troughs are, in the surf. Presuming you're at a pier in the Gulf. If a bay or channel Pier then it may be different, due to reefs, sunken debris, etc.
Good luck.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Maybe, in answer to your question. And I'm not being a smartellic. Are you doing some nighttime gigging? I'm not sure gigging is still legal here in TX. But anyway mostly you'll just see a rounded shape, sometimes covered with sand or mud or silt. Sometimes the entire fish is visible, but it depends on various things. There's pics on Google.
Wrt your comment on waves, I presume you're referring to where you see breakers. You can easy tell where the sand bars are, and where the troughs are, in the surf. Presuming you're at a pier in the Gulf. If a bay or channel Pier then it may be different, due to reefs, sunken debris, etc.
Good luck.
I can't do gigging because I don't have a boat. I ask because it was not a croaker and definitly ugly, but it got off the hook just before it broke the surface.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 19, 2021 5:24 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Good luck.
I can't do gigging because I don't have a boat. I ask because it was not a croaker and definitly ugly, but it got off the hook just before it broke the surface.
I've never gigged from a boat; but if were to do any gigging now, I would do it from a boat. WRT the fish you missed, it sounds like it was a flounder, and they do have a way of shaking out a hook.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed May 19, 2021 5:46 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:24 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Good luck.
I've never gigged from a boat; but if were to do any gigging now, I would do it from a boat. WRT the fish you missed, it sounds like it was a flounder, and they do have a way of shaking out a hook.
At least I'm getting bites which is a huge improvement. How to keep it on? I was using the tsunami shad with a stock hook and squid scented fish bites

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:46 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Good luck.
At least I'm getting bites which is a huge improvement. How to keep it on? I was using the tsunami shad with a stock hook and squid scented fish bites
I'm not familiar with fish bites. Looks like they're similar to Gulp, based on a quick search. Flounder fishing is a game of finesse. And a landing net is a must.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed May 19, 2021 9:01 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:56 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Good luck.
Can you recommend something that will reach at least 16 feet?

I'm not familiar with fish bites. Looks like they're similar to Gulp, based on a quick search. Flounder fishing is a game of finesse. And a landing net is a must.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 19, 2021 10:04 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:01 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Good luck.

But so can speckled trout fishing, especially for the larger, >~24", trout ... most of the time.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Fri May 21, 2021 1:43 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:04 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
Good luck.

But so can speckled trout fishing, especially for the larger, >~24", trout ... most of the time.
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:

Good luck.

Will a crab net work? The pier is pretty high.

ChildOfGod
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar
The Artist Formerly Known as ShellBriar

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri May 21, 2021 3:36 pm

My son has a day off on Monday so go’n fish’n.
Wanted to take him to the trout farm my Dad would take me to when I was very young. I know he’d have a good time and I have some great memories there. I found one like it, so have a fallback. I’d like to find “that one” but neither I nor my brothers can remember the name of it nor the town (or state for that matter).
"What's wrong with you people? " - R.C. Sproul

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Fainn wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:43 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Good luck.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:

Good luck.

It's better than nothing, but if u hook a serious fish you'll have your hands full. But if your pier is way above the water a drop net is what u need. If less than say 10', then maybe attach an extension to the handle of your net, maybe even with a roll of duct tape.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:38 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Good luck.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:

Good luck.

It's better than nothing, but if u hook a serious fish you'll have your hands full. But if your pier is way above the water a drop net is what u need. If less than say 10', then maybe attach an extension to the handle of your net, maybe even with a roll of duct tape.
my grocery store has something like this [

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat May 22, 2021 1:33 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:23 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:38 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:

sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:

my grocery store has something like this [
That should work. When we used to pier fish in the Gulf our drop nets were about 3' in diameter.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm

I spent the day cleaning fly lines, replacing leaders, lubing reels, sorting fly boxes, putting some linseed oil on my landing net frames, checking waders and other gear and loading up my fishing gear bag.

Felt like a kid again.

:pipe3:

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 25, 2021 4:30 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm
I spent the day cleaning fly lines, replacing leaders, lubing reels, sorting fly boxes, putting some linseed oil on my landing net frames, checking waders and other gear and loading up my fishing gear bag.

Felt like a kid again.

What do you do with bamboo? My only cane pole is 4-ish years old. Should I do anything besides clean it with a damp cloth and swab out the guides and ferrules?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 25, 2021 4:52 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:30 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Felt like a kid again.

What do you do with bamboo? My only cane pole is 4-ish years old. Should I do anything besides clean it with a damp cloth and swab out the guides and ferrules?
I watch the varnish for places where it’s cracked or chipped and touch it up with spar varnish.

Some people remove their cane rods from their bags and tubes for storage, assemble them and hang them by the tip top “to keep them straight”, but I’ve never done that, and I’ve never had any issues.