The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm
FredS learns to cast from TaylorS.

Hey she is copying my secret casting style...I wonder if I can cash in on some royalties or something
Last edited by Bloodhound on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm
FredS wrote:

Hey she is coping my secret casting style...I wonder if I can cash in on some royalties or something
I could have done without that image. I never realized the pelvic thrust was so important to fly casting.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:41 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hey she is coping my secret casting style...I wonder if I can cash in on some royalties or something
I could have done without that image. I never realized the pelvic thrust was so important to fly casting.
I don't understand art.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:

Hey she is copying my secret casting style...I wonder if I can cash in on some royalties or something
You should see how good it looks with a set of chest waders and a sling pack on the fisherman (me)
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I just had the most pleasant experience at a local fly shop. The Parks & Wildlife website won't let buy a resident license online because my drivers license is only a couple months old and they need more proof of residency so I gathered a couple utility bills and went to town. It's a cold and snowy spring day here so there were a few of the shops rats - and even one gal - hanging around the shop. I got my license, made some introductions, got some recommendations, got an invite to the beer pour they're having in a week or so, and just generally felt welcomed. After spending a painful 45 minutes on the phone getting passed from one person to another by my health insurance provider, I just can't explain how nice it was to be served by nice people who care about their customer and their employer. It's a sad state of affairs that I feel compelled to make an internet post when I simply get decent treatment.

I also left with a few #18 CDC winged BWO's. I never walk out of a fly shop without dropping $15 or $20 (or $250). I want them to be there next month, when I've been skunked and need more advice. Besides, I can't tie dry flies that small worth a hoot anyway.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm
I just had the most pleasant experience at a local fly shop. The Parks & Wildlife website won't let buy a resident license online because my drivers license is only a couple months old and they need more proof of residency so I gathered a couple utility bills and went to town. It's a cold and snowy spring day here so there were a few of the shops rats - and even one gal - hanging around the shop. I got my license, made some introductions, got some recommendations, got an invite to the beer pour they're having in a week or so, and just generally felt welcomed. After spending a painful 45 minutes on the phone getting passed from one person to another by my health insurance provider, I just can't explain how nice it was to be served by nice people who care about their customer and their employer. It's a sad state of affairs that I feel compelled to make an internet post when I simply get decent treatment.

I also left with a few #18 CDC winged BWO's. I never walk out of a fly shop without dropping $15 or $20 (or $250). I want them to be there next month, when I've been skunked and need more advice. Besides, I can't tie dry flies that small worth a hoot anyway.
I would have just went to an outdoor retail store that sells licenses. Got to help keep them in business for certain conveniences. Unless of course the online system they use is the same one. :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Has anyone here fished the mountains in Arkansas or lake Texoma?

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:55 pm

I've fished the White and Buffalo rivers in the very northern part of AR. Caught some sort of sucker on the Buffalo and nothing on the White. But then, I've only spent maybe a half day on each. The White River is big and really is best fished from a boat. Yuge brown trout fishery.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Sounds like a good visit congrats...sounds like you found a good shop. My little shop closed the doors and moved to another town. There there are lots of shops I have yet to find one that is very friendly.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:55 pm
I've fished the White and Buffalo rivers in the very northern part of AR. Caught some sort of sucker on the Buffalo and nothing on the White. But then, I've only spent maybe a half day on each. The White River is big and really is best fished from a boat. Yuge brown trout fishery.
May be further north than I had in mind. But the Buffalo river looks to have a few real pretty areas. I’m hoping to find a few good Smallmouth streams and rivers in Southeast OK and southwestern Arkansas. If I do, I’ll take up fly fishing. Other than that it’s fishing spinning gear for strippers and catfish in muddy water for me, which appeals much less.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 pm
FredS wrote:
May be further north than I had in mind. But the Buffalo river looks to have a few real pretty areas. I’m hoping to find a few good Smallmouth streams and rivers in Southeast OK and southwestern Arkansas. If I do, I’ll take up fly fishing. Other than that it’s fishing spinning gear for strippers and catfish in muddy water for me, which appeals much less.
If I went fishing for strippers my wife would shoot me!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm excited for you Thunk. Moving to a new place and exploring new woods and water is fun. It's "interesting" to learn the local methods if you have an open mind that can accept different strokes.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:53 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 pm
FredS wrote:
If I went fishing for strippers my wife would shoot me!
You could beg her to divorce you instead. :P

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 pm
I'm excited for you Thunk. Moving to a new place and exploring new woods and water is fun. It's "interesting" to learn the local methods if you have an open mind that can accept different strokes.
Yes it is. I’m on a twenty year cycle. It’s the hunting I’m really looking forward to though. Lack of access and poor game management has gotten really bad here in So Cal. Even the mountains where I can still hunt are becoming more like Disneyland every year. I need to find some leases in Texas and Oklahoma. I can make annual trips to Kansas to work my gun dogs too. I’m trying to keep my enthusiasm in check.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Last Fall I was fishing with my 5 ft Eagle Claw feather light and an Eagle Claw light reel (this reel was made in Italy and I have had is since I was 12) and with some of the fish I was catching in the lake at the cabin, I was out gunned...

So this year I have put togather a rig with a little more oomff...I didn't go crazy, the rod is a Fenwick FS70 and the reel is a Penn 712. Still looking for a 714 as that would be the perfect fit for the Fenwick, but for now this rig is ready to take on the bigger fish that laughed at my Eagle Claw rig.

Scott ( aka - Thor )

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm
Last Fall I was fishing with my 5 ft Eagle Claw feather light and an Eagle Claw light reel (this reel was made in Italy and I have had is since I was 12) and with some of the fish I was catching in the lake at the cabin, I was out gunned...

So this year I have put togather a rig with a little more oomff...I didn't go crazy, the rod is a Fenwick FS70 and the reel is a Penn 712. Still looking for a 714 as that would be the perfect fit for the Fenwick, but for now this rig is ready to take on the bigger fish that laughed at my Eagle Claw rig.

Impressed.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 pm

I am still just a hack when it comes to fishing, but it has become a great way to relax and just appreciate the time
Scott ( aka - Thor )

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 am

I have mentioned here that I made friends with the Orvis fishing manager when I moved to Roanoke in 2016.
We visit from time to time and I took his fly tying classes the store sponsored.
Several times he said we would work a date to fish, but never got around to it.
Last month i told him I had received my official move date.
Long story short, we are waiting for the warmer part of today to hit North Creek for native Brookies, maybe on dry flies.
Nice weather today, I am looking forward to it.

Pic of North Creek from the web:
Maybe I will have pics to post this evening.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:10 am
I have mentioned here that I made friends with the Orvis fishing manager when I moved to Roanoke in 2016.
We visit from time to time and I took his fly tying classes the store sponsored.
Several times he said we would work a date to fish, but never got around to it.
Last month i told him I had received my official move date.
Long story short, we are waiting for the warmer part of today to hit North Creek for native Brookies, maybe on dry flies.
Nice weather today, I am looking forward to it.

Pic of North Creek from the web:
Maybe I will have pics to post this evening.
Looks like you’ll have a good time.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:57 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 pm

Impressed.
+ Impressed

Old school, which just somehow appeals. I have an old real somewhere in box and there always seem to be old Fenwick glass rods at yard sales. . .

It’s like those old Model 12 and 31s. :wink: