The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am
. . . Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

cold pizza never tasted so good
Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.
Be very precise if you try to google it.

It's an adaptation of short-line, high-stick, heavy fly *nymphing method first attributed to the Czech fly fishing team. Then the French, Poles, and Spaniards each put there own twist on it so we've combined their methods in to a stew called Euro Nymphing. Murcan's are good at taking the best of other cultures and alloying them in to something that's better than the individual constituents. We aint called the 'melting pot' for nothing.

* (not for you Tim, but others who may not know) A nymph is an early, underwater life stage of various flying bugs who later come to the surface and fly away. Trout pretty much live on these underwater bugs until they (the trout) get so big they need to start cannibalizing smaller fish to maintain weight.
Sounds like jigging to me. ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Hush you.

But it does raise an interesting question. There's a knucklehead on a FB fly tying group I belong to who swears Maine law specifies that - for fly fishing only areas - fly fishing is defined as a method that uses the weight of the line to propel an artificial lure. If so, then this short lining method, along with Tenkara would not pass muster. I've not heard of any artificial flies and lures codes that have anything to do with the fishing line, rod, or reel. It's about the part that fish may or may not try to put in their mouth.

This was after he posted a 'fly' made with a hook glued to a fake fingernail and I commented that he'd done a great job of tiptoeing to the edge of what he could fling in FFO areas. I wrote that he'd violated the intent, if not the letter, of laws written 20 or 30 years ago when nobody would have considered a fake fingernail a 'fly'. He wrote that a game warden told him it was legal, and I asked if he always let other people make his decisions about what's sporting or not.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:05 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:59 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am
. . . Never euro nymphed before so we'll see how it goes.
I'm sold! At least for the pocket water I fished today, this is a fantastic new way to catch fish.

cold pizza never tasted so good
Sounds exotic. If not sexy. Not the cold pizza, the euro nymphing.
Be very precise if you try to google it.

It's an adaptation of short-line, high-stick, heavy fly *nymphing method first attributed to the Czech fly fishing team. Then the French, Poles, and Spaniards each put there own twist on it so we've combined their methods in to a stew called Euro Nymphing. Murcan's are good at taking the best of other cultures and alloying them in to something that's better than the individual constituents. We aint called the 'melting pot' for nothing.

* (not for you Tim, but others who may not know) A nymph is an early, underwater life stage of various flying bugs who later come to the surface and fly away. Trout pretty much live on these underwater bugs until they (the trout) get so big they need to start cannibalizing smaller fish to maintain weight.
Sounds like jigging to me. ;)
Lol!

Yesterday was the first I heard of this. I did a quick Wikipedia search and thought to myself, “Dang, I guess fly fishers are trying to capture the benefits we spin fisherman have. It’s the flip side of the spin fisherman’s fly and bubble.” But I decided not to say anything then as to avoid hurting the purists pride. :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I bought my 2018 fishing license yesterday. Kids are on spring break and I plan to take them surf fishing this week. Tomorrow I will be taking them to the desert to shoot guns. My wife took them to an amusement park today.

I’ve been contemplating as to how much fishing I should try and do while I’m still a resident of California. There were a few things I wanted to do someday in this state, but never got around to it yet. Other things simply won’t be available in Texas/Oklahoma where I’m going. Then I have all this conventional salt water gear that seems popular only in California and Baja Mexico. Should I start selling it? Or should I get a charter just a few more times first? The grass is green everywhere, just a different kind of green I suppose.

CodeMonkey
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by CodeMonkey » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play” – Newspaper reporter.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" - Homer Simpson

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Went up the canyon fishing three times this week. Got skunked last night. I had one take but I was fishing a tiny dry and didn't realize he was on 'till he wasn't. I never get skunked. So I sat on a rock with my feet in the river and consoled myself with a cigar. Then I noticed some little guys feeding on the far side of the river. I'd finished my evening with a nymph rig on the line but I thought about tying on a BWO dry fly and going over to get one. There were three so I'm sure I could have caught one. The old FredS would have, just to avoid being skunked if nothing else. But I didn't.

I did make a mental note of where the little peckers live though and I'll revisit them later.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:54 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:45 pm
Went up the canyon fishing three times this week. Got skunked last night. I had one take but I was fishing a tiny dry and didn't realize he was on 'till he wasn't. I never get skunked. So I sat on a rock with my feet in the river and consoled myself with a cigar. Then I noticed some little guys feeding on the far side of the river. I'd finished my evening with a nymph rig on the line but I thought about tying on a BWO dry fly and going over to get one. There were three so I'm sure I could have caught one. The old FredS would have, just to avoid being skunked if nothing else. But I didn't.

I did make a mental note of where the little peckers live though and I'll revisit them later.
You were fishing, Fred.
That’s pretty damn good!

We all should get skunked every now and then if only to keep us humble.
I guess I never knew the old Fred, but I like the new one.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 am

Less than 1/5 the normal snowpack moisture for this time of year and evaporating rapidly.
Local rivers and streams will be in big trouble this summer.

When the water warms drastically and the flow is unusually low it is not ethical to fish. The trout are already stressed and populations reduced; fishing exacerbates the problem.

We’re all praying for rain.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 am

Less than 1/5 the normal snowpack moisture for this time of year and evaporating rapidly.

When the water warms drastically and the flow is unusually low it is not ethical to fish. The trout are already stressed and populations reduced; fishing exacerbates the problem.

Praying with you
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 am

Prayers your way. I was relaying to Bloodhound a couple months ago when we met up in Springs, things I heard locals talking about while on the job there. Little rain/snow, and generally warmer temps. Annual ice fishing tournaments up in the mountains had to be cancelled this past winter. Anyway, tough times for rivers, and all that enjoy them.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am

I've been out a few times this spring, but have been skunked several times in a row. This weird Spring that just refuses to warm up has kept fishing slow for everyone, at least around here. Finally had some warm days in a row and took the whole family out on Sunday. Beautiful day. I'm telling you though, this weather is the reason I haven't caught any fish... Except for the fact that it didn't slow my wife down at all... of course. :evil:

She caught fish, big fish considering her light tackle. My older two kayaked down the river to meet us. My youngest son and I got our lines wet and generally enjoyed the woods on a beautiful day. All in all a great day, except my excuse for getting skunked is gone.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Nice Gabriel. It's been well documented that I like to see kids fishing, but a close second is seeing attractive young women fishing.

Last weekend, I went to a fly fishing rendezvous down in Golden CO and sat through some seminars. It was the best $7.00 I've spent in a long time. Not only did I get to hang out with bloodhound for a few hours, I learned some fantastic tips on how to actually land the damn fish after you fool them in to eating your fly. I'm good enough at reading the water to find fish and tossing the right flies in the right ways to get them to eat, but landing trout in streams has been difficult for me. So, armed with some new techniques, I went up the canyon last night and hooked six fish and landed six fish! That's a 100% improvement over last week when I hooked four or five and landed none.

Lovely 10" or 11" brown trout on a Copper John:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am
I've been out a few times this spring, but have been skunked several times in a row. This weird Spring that just refuses to warm up has kept fishing slow for everyone, at least around here. Finally had some warm days in a row and took the whole family out on Sunday. Beautiful day. I'm telling you though, this weather is the reason I haven't caught any fish... Except for the fact that it didn't slow my wife down at all... of course. :evil:

She caught fish, big fish considering her light tackle. My older two kayaked down the river to meet us. My youngest son and I got our lines wet and generally enjoyed the woods on a beautiful day. All in all a great day, except my excuse for getting skunked is gone.

WooHoo#1

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 01, 2018 8:37 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:32 pm
Nice Gabriel. It's been well documented that I like to see kids fishing, but a close second is seeing attractive young women fishing.

Last weekend, I went to a fly fishing rendezvous down in Golden CO and sat through some seminars. It was the best $7.00 I've spent in a long time. Not only did I get to hang out with bloodhound for a few hours, I learned some fantastic tips on how to actually land the damn fish after you fool them in to eating your fly. I'm good enough at reading the water to find fish and tossing the right flies in the right ways to get them to eat, but landing trout in streams has been difficult for me. So, armed with some new techniques, I went up the canyon last night and hooked six fish and landed six fish! That's a 100% improvement over last week when I hooked four or five and landed none.

Lovely 10" or 11" brown trout on a Copper John:
WooHoo#2

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 am

I woke up this morning to a very light rain, more of a mist I would say. I got to work and it was still "Misting"...all I can think about is fishing...not a lot of work getting done...I need to snap out of it and work...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am

You need to snap out of it and go fishing.

That cough is getting pretty bad. Maybe you should go home before you make everyone in the office sick.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 am
I woke up this morning to a very light rain, more of a mist I would say. I got to work and it was still "Misting"...all I can think about is fishing...not a lot of work getting done...I need to snap out of it and work...
You and me both. I planned on taking the kids and a friend of theirs fishing today after school. They got sick yesterday and are worse today. I may go by myself anyway though.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm new to fishing mountain streams and rivers as anything other than an occasional tourist and I'm really enjoying getting to know a new river system up close and personal. I noticed the water in my home river rising last week. Not a lot, but it was noticeable the four times I visited over a weeks time. I suppose that's the typical annual buildup to 'runoff' that will make fishing difficult in another few weeks. It rained much of the day yesterday and I watched the data from two stations on the river and could see the correlation in the data from the two stations that are perhaps 12 miles apart. When the rain down low (around my house) stopped you could see the flows decrease. But then they started rising again as rain (and snow the rain melted) from higher altitude made it's way down hill. They've continued to rise every since as it started to rain down low overnight and has kept raining throughout the day. I'm also learning to match up this flow data with what I can see on weather radar and will before long be able to anticipate flows based on rainfall forecasts over this drainage.

It took me a while to figure out why flows downstream (the yellow graph) are lower than those upstream. That seem backwards as usually small creeks and runoff add flow as a system moves downstream. Then I realized there are some diversions between the two stations to divert water to holding reservoirs for irrigation as well as water for the city of Ft Collins.

This is fascinating stuff that I never cared about before. My father in law spent his career as a hydrologist for the USGS in the west and I thought he was a geek. Now I wish he was still around so I could learn more from him.

FTR - I always say the best time to go fishing is any time I can. But there will surely come a day when I decide to be more selective in my outings and I'll use data like this to inform where and when I may decide to go.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 03, 2018 8:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm
I'm new to fishing mountain streams and rivers as anything other than an occasional tourist and I'm really enjoying getting to know a new river system up close and personal. I noticed the water in my home river rising last week. Not a lot, but it was noticeable the four times I visited over a weeks time. I suppose that's the typical annual buildup to 'runoff' that will make fishing difficult in another few weeks. It rained much of the day yesterday and I watched the data from two stations on the river and could see the correlation in the data from the two stations that are perhaps 12 miles apart. When the rain down low (around my house) stopped you could see the flows decrease. But then they started rising again as rain (and snow the rain melted) from higher altitude made it's way down hill. They've continued to rise every since as it started to rain down low overnight and has kept raining throughout the day. I'm also learning to match up this flow data with what I can see on weather radar and will before long be able to anticipate flows based on rainfall forecasts over this drainage.

It took me a while to figure out why flows downstream (the yellow graph) are lower than those upstream. That seem backwards as usually small creeks and runoff add flow as a system moves downstream. Then I realized there are some diversions between the two stations to divert water to holding reservoirs for irrigation as well as water for the city of Ft Collins.

This is fascinating stuff that I never cared about before. My father in law spent his career as a hydrologist for the USGS in the west and I thought he was a geek. Now I wish he was still around so I could learn more from him.

FTR - I always say the best time to go fishing is any time I can. But there will surely come a day when I decide to be more selective in my outings and I'll use data like this to inform where and when I may decide to go.
Yes!

This stuff is as much a part of fishing well as casting well, wading well, setting up a proper drift, reading the water, knowing the bugs, where trout hold when they’re feeding as opposed to where they are when they're not, etc.

Soon, when less aware fisherman are overheard saying, “You don’t need to know all that stuff,” you’ll quietly smile and walk away to go catch some trout.

Next, you gradually absorb that information about maybe each of a dozen rivers/streams you regularly fish and how and where to fish them at all of their different flows during different times of day, different times of year, different temperatures and weather conditions . . .

A favorite bit of information in this vein:

After the early summer dry season in New Mexico, the first good rain causes the flying ants to hatch. For nearly a year we’ve been mostly fussing with tiny bugs, and the really big fish have been picky as hell and tippets have been 5X, 6X and even lighter.

But every aware fisherman hears the rain on the roof that June night and gets up before dawn to be on the river with big, black stimulators and peacock caddis to imitate the large, disheveled, sometimes locked togeter mating pairs of flying ants he knows will be on the water, fishing 3X and 4X tippets to uncharacteristically careless monsters.

Add to that one example of river specific knowledge a thousand other similar bits of information learned by observing carefully over time and dammit, you’re a By God Trout Fisherman!

Don’t get me wrong, somebody can have a lot of fun and catch plenty of trout without learning all this stuff. But I just read your above post Fred. You’re beginning one helluva wonderful journey.

Every bit of this absorbed puts us that much more in awe of the creation and the Creator.
I know you already know this.

It’s called wonder.
And gratitude.

The Hound Of Heaven has us hooked, dear friend. Through fishing.

Pray He never hooks you with steelhead and salmon.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Can you tell school is out and I don’t have any classes to prepare for or papers to grade?