The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri May 04, 2018 7:24 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:55 pm
Can you tell school is out and I don’t have any classes to prepare for or papers to grade?
Yes. :dancingpie:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 8:51 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:58 pm
<geeky, esoteric trout fishing stuff>
Yes!

This stuff is as much a part of fishing well as casting well, wading well, setting up a proper drift, reading the water, knowing the bugs, where trout hold when they’re feeding as opposed to where they are when they're not, etc.
. . .
Every bit of this absorbed puts us that much more in awe of the creation and the Creator.
I know you already know this.

It’s called wonder.
And gratitude.

The Hound Of Heaven has us hooked, dear friend. Through fishing.
I have two life verse's:
- Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment - Rumi
- I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. - St Paul

Rumi's quote is guiding my life right now. I left my cleverness, the comfortable place I know with certainty, and bought bewilderment, a new place to explore.

snapped on my way to the river last night:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am

Mind if I join you in adopting the Rumi verse?
It’s wonderful.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 04, 2018 9:56 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am
Mind if I join you in adopting the Rumi verse?
It’s wonderful.
Me too!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 am

I started to post this in the Fly Fishing Gear thread, but thought it was likely a better fit here.

RED FISH? For the guys who have fished The Salt. I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and there were 2 guys fishing on a cove, and I stopped and talked to them. They said they were fishing for Red Fish and that Red Fish were great for the BBQ grill, clean em and cook them skin side to the heat, and because the skin was so tough, you didn't need to put them on a plank.

Now I didn't see any of their fish, as they hadn't caught any yet, but it stuck with me and I have looked on line and the Red Fish I see on line don't seem to match up with their description...so I am wondering if Red Fish is just a local name and Red Fish is some other species everywhere else?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 10, 2018 9:27 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 am
I started to post this in the Fly Fishing Gear thread, but thought it was likely a better fit here.

RED FISH? For the guys who have fished The Salt. I was in Oregon a couple of years ago and there were 2 guys fishing on a cove, and I stopped and talked to them. They said they were fishing for Red Fish and that Red Fish were great for the BBQ grill, clean em and cook them skin side to the heat, and because the skin was so tough, you didn't need to put them on a plank.

Now I didn't see any of their fish, as they hadn't caught any yet, but it stuck with me and I have looked on line and the Red Fish I see on line don't seem to match up with their description...so I am wondering if Red Fish is just a local name and Red Fish is some other species everywhere else?
They’re talking about various kinds of rockfish. Many are reddish in color. They are also known as “red snapper” in restaurants and grocery stores.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am

OK thanks
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri May 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Yup Rock fish for sure is what they were after. They didn't have gear for this sized fish
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat May 12, 2018 10:52 am

Finally hit the river when the fish were biting. Parts of the night were kind of a pain, but as the kids were packing up I cast one more time to a sudden swirl in the river and landed this guy:

My son landed one (with some help from his sister) that was nearly as big:

You can tie all the nice flies in the world, but when your trip is starting to slide sideways and you just need to catch some fish... black woolly bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat May 12, 2018 8:47 pm

The season opened here today. I did not go out :(
"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:52 am
Finally hit the river when the fish were biting. Parts of the night were kind of a pain, but as the kids were packing up I cast one more time to a sudden swirl in the river and landed this guy:

My son landed one (with some help from his sister) that was nearly as big:

You can tie all the nice flies in the world, but when your trip is starting to slide sideways and you just need to catch some fish... black woolly bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome!

Know what I love more than pictures of your kids with fish, and you with a big grin, big o’ bass and a fly rod in your hand?

Not one damn thing.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 13, 2018 4:11 pm

I really don't even need to say it, do I?

In the son-in-law lottery, I've done pretty well. While my daughter and youngest grandson stayed in town to have a garage sale this weekend, my SIL took the older ones camping. Catch some fish, build a campfire, hang out with dad, and stay out of mom's hair for a couple days. I reckon that's a win all the way around.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 13, 2018 4:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:11 pm

In the son-in-law lottery, I've done pretty well. While my daughter and youngest grandson stayed in town to have a garage sale this weekend, my SIL took the older ones camping. Catch some fish, build a campfire, hang out with dad, and stay out of mom's hair for a couple days. I reckon that's a win all the way around.
I reckon.

Yesterday, I got line on my fly reel, bought an assortment of flies and made a stripping basket. Then I practiced casting a few minutes, it's like riding a bike. Then Mother's Day.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:11 pm

WooHoo!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

The Four Corners region seems to be in the drought bullseye.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

Yes, it does. Are the small trout holding creeks drying up?

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am

I saw that CO Gov Hickenlooper activated the drought mitigation and response plan. I have no idea what that plan involves.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

Yes, it does. Are the small trout holding creeks drying up?
Not yet.
But unless it rains a lot, soon, they very well may.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am

Praying for rain
Scott ( aka - Thor )

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 17, 2018 11:53 am

We feel your pain.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain