The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:58 am

Surf fishing was hot this morning.

This kid's first fish:

A surfer friend of my son's. This was pretty representave of what all the kids were catching, which were yellow fin croaker. I on the other hand failed fly fishing miserably. I'm not exactly sure what to do out there with a fly yet. :lol:

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:58 am
This kid's first fish:

You know what I like better than seeing kids fishing?
Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:58 pm
Thunktank wrote:
This kid's first fish:

Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
Always good to see kids fishing. Nice looking surf, too. Hasn't been that flat here for a while now.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 pm
FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
This kid's first fish:

Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
Always good to see kids fishing. Nice looking surf, too. Hasn't been that flat here for a while now.
A good share of us, what I like to call the normal ones, are drawn to water like moths to the flame. Surf punks, river rats, trout bums, whatever they're called in your area, they're easy to spot. You can see it in this kid and you can see it in Gabriels kids, whether in the pool, or the river, or the surf, they need the water.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:34 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:29 pm
FredS wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
This kid's first fish:

Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
A good share of us, what I like to call the normal ones, are drawn to water like moths to the flame. Surf punks, river rats, trout bums, whatever they're called in your area, they're easy to spot. You can see it in this kid and you can see it in Gabriels kids, whether in the pool, or the river, or the surf, they need the water.
That kid is 15 years old and one of my kid's best friends. He surfs five days a week with dolphins. He also snow boards a lot. His Dad owns one of the world's largest outdoor companies. But he never started fishing until a few weeks ago. With a fishing pole his dad broke, he has been trying to catch fish. Yesterday, the surf finally turned blue and I gave him my fishing pole and within minutes he caught one.

For him, this added a new dimension to his home. He had little clue what lived below him in the waves. Another guy caught a sting ray. He always knew he shared the water with them, but to get his hands on one was a new experience.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:08 pm

The boys hair and dress make it clear what he lives for. They're a little harder to find, but I'm sure there are 60 year old guys on the beach just like him.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am

Treble hooks are just nasty. I’m going to replace some treble hooks with single barbless hooks on some of my cranks and spoons this week. Have any of you done this?

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

I got tired of trying to gently pull treble hooks out of the brookie mouths that the girls were catching last week, so I used my side cutters and cut 2 of the 3 off. The girls were sure that would result in fewer catches...I don't think it did, they proceeded to catch 8 fish in an hour between the 3 of them.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm

When I was a boy we had a tom cat that stayed out all night. One morning he came home with a treble hook and a hunk of liver hanging from the side of his mouth and a lead weight dragging behind on a 2' piece of fishing line. We figured the guy down the road had been out the day before for catfish and left a rod rigged up in his boat. The bloody chicken liver made it look worse than it was.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 am
Treble hooks are just nasty. I’m going to replace some treble hooks with single barbless hooks on some of my cranks and spoons this week. Have any of you done this?
I'm tired of dealing with treble hooks, too. I haven't changed many crank baits, yet, but I started migrating to barbless hooks on everything else, especially on smaller baits. It's so much easier on me and the fish it's worth losing one here and there.

It's remarkable how much money you can quickly spend on hooks once you start changing.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm
Thunktank wrote:
I'm tired of dealing with treble hooks, too. I haven't changed many crank baits, yet, but I started migrating to barbless hooks on everything else, especially on smaller baits. It's so much easier on me and the fish it's worth losing one here and there.

It's remarkable how much money you can quickly spend on hooks once you start changing.
For the amount of time it sometimes takes to remove a treble hook, I could have gotten another bite! Lately at the beach, the last 30 minutes of daylight is very productive and usually, it’s a ten minute window of fast and furious action. I just ate one fish for lunch that should have gone back to the sea, but in my haste I buggered up the mouth too much removing a treble hook. As it’s was, I spent a few minutes on it, it kept rehooking itself!

I don’t mind catching and cooking some fish, but most fish I catch should go back for conservation sake. For those two reasons, time and conservation, I want to make the change. Finding the right hooks are the challenge. Supposedly, they should be a couple of sizes bigger than the trebles they replace, and of course the right shape and type. The shape is proving to be a challenge, and yes, the expense is surprising. Especially when I feel compelled to buy Owner hooks. They’re nice and sharp and stay that way longer between sharpenings.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

For the amount of time it sometimes takes to remove a treble hook, I could have gotten another bite! Lately at the beach, the last 30 minutes of daylight is very productive and usually, it’s a ten minute window of fast and furious action. I just ate one fish for lunch that should have gone back to the sea, but in my haste I buggered up the mouth too much removing a treble hook. As it’s was, I spent a few minutes on it, it kept rehooking itself!

I don’t mind catching and cooking some fish, but most fish I catch should go back for conservation sake. For those two reasons, time and conservation, I want to make the change. Finding the right hooks are the challenge. Supposedly, they should be a couple of sizes bigger than the trebles they replace, and of course the right shape and type. The shape is proving to be a challenge, and yes, the expense is surprising. Especially when I feel compelled to buy Owner hooks. They’re nice and sharp and stay that way longer between sharpenings.
I'm almost completely catch and release. Most of the places I go are over-fished public areas and I would rather not take from them. I also have a selfish reason. My wife won't eat fish, and since I'm the cook, I don't want to have to fix two meals. Anything that helps me get the hook out quick and clean makes me happy.

I've never used Owner Hooks. Cool website.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:53 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:12 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I'm almost completely catch and release. Most of the places I go are over-fished public areas and I would rather not take from them. I also have a selfish reason. My wife won't eat fish, and since I'm the cook, I don't want to have to fix two meals. Anything that helps me get the hook out quick and clean makes me happy.

I've never used Owner Hooks. Cool website.
Marriage tip 168:
Keep a few packages of peanut butter and cheese crackers on hand for those times your wife won't eat what you fix. It's the least you can do.

Don't adjust your cooking/eating preferences to suit her. Ever.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Fred...you crack me up

My wife loves fish and gives me grief when I don't bring fish home. I am 99% C&R...I am not a fan of eating trout, once or twice a year is plenty...so I fish a lot of C&R water.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm

Our new home has the Pompton river as its backyard. So asking on some advice on set up/gear to fish it. The river is known to have trout (brown, brook. and rainbow (rainbow being stock by the state several miles upstream), small and large mouth bass, and pikes. Its not particularly swift and averages around 4ft of depth and due to embankment walls I'd probably be 4-6 feet above the surface of the river (depending on the how much its rained recently). Last time I've fished was easily 30 years ago and probably left more hooks and lures and asst. tackle fouled in the rocks that lined New York Habor at the mouth of the Hudson back then. So what rods and reels (both spincast and spinning reels) I own at probably that old.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Thoth wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm
Our new home has the Pompton river as its backyard. So asking on some advice on set up/gear to fish it. The river is known to have trout (brown, brook. and rainbow (rainbow being stock by the state several miles upstream), small and large mouth bass, and pikes. Its not particularly swift and averages around 4ft of depth and due to embankment walls I'd probably be 4-6 feet above the surface of the river (depending on the how much its rained recently). Last time I've fished was easily 30 years ago and probably left more hooks and lures and asst. tackle fouled in the rocks that lined New York Habor at the mouth of the Hudson back then. So what rods and reels (both spincast and spinning reels) I own at probably that old.
"Old gear" doesn't always mean "Bad gear" Some of the best gear I own is 40+ years old. There is a lot of experimentation you can do, or you can find some local wisdom at sporting goods shops (Not the big box stores)and there is a ton of info from the online groups, Trout Unlimited, state fish and wildlife, and others.

I have never been in the area, but there are some basics that hold true most places, if you have trout, get new line for your reel and a MasterKast lure and hit the water. If you buy your license at the state agency instead of the grocery store, you should be able to talk to a person who knows what they are talking about in local fishing.

Congrats on the new place.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 pm

Thoth wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm
. . .Its not particularly swift and averages around 4ft of depth and due to embankment walls I'd probably be 4-6 feet above the surface of the river (depending on the how much its rained recently). . .
From your comment about embankment walls and being so far above the river surface, I wonder if this river been channelized? If it has it may be more or less devoid of natural structure that fish enjoy for protection. If that's the case I'd look for someplace else to fish. That said, it's hard not to explore a river in your own backyard and I'd fish the hell out of it just to see what's there. Find a sand/gravel bar that will get you down to the water's level.

I like the MasterCast lures bloodhound suggested as well as Wordens Rooster Tail and Mepps Aglia lures. A 5.5-6' light spinning rod with a spinning reel rigged with 4-6lb test line is hard to beat for this type of fishing. You can pick up combos at Walmart or the other big box stores starting at $25.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 am

Sitting at the lake ... Perhaps I'll finally get to fish this year!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 am
Sitting at the lake ... Perhaps I'll finally get to fish this year!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Just wait until you get to fish vicariously through your child. :lol:

Eventually you’ll have a fishing partner if you do the above correctly.

Yesterday my wife took my kids to a water park. I could have worked, but I went fishing by myself instead. It was good.

In reference to the Kastmaster spoons mentioned above, I used them in the surf yesterday. They cast into the wind like a dream and I can cover a lot of water with them. They catch trout sized croakers and corbina just as well as they catch trout in fresh water rivers.

I’ve been fishing the surf about three times a week lately. I usually take the boys and a friend of mine, but it’s nice to fish alone sometimes. It’s the introvert in me I guess.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:54 pm

We were at an outdoor art/craft show a few months ago when we saw a couple from Montana selling landing nets the husband makes. They were pretty cool and he had a longish handled model I really liked. They were like $150 and Mrs FredS wanted to get one. I have a perfectly serviceable net so I suggested she take the guys card and consider it for a Christmas gift.

Two weeks ago, the AC in the car quite while on the way to DIA to retrieve guests flying in for a visit. I was hot and in a bad mood when we swung by Walmart to get a can of freon to top of the system. While there, we saw a Cortland net with the silicon basket very similar to what the Montana dude had, but these were $20. Mrs FredS wanted to get one and said she'd do some artwork on it. I like that idea but was in a foul mood so I passed on the purchase. Today, I was back at the same store, in the same section (buying a battery for the Mini this time) and decided I'd pick up one of those nets. They were all gone.

Damn.

(I still havn't got the AC to work. It's had a leak for years so I'm used to putting a can of juice in it at the beginning of summer and once again half way through. But now the compressor wont turn on and you can't add freon if the compressor isn't running. I tried 'hot wiring' it but the damn thing is too smart to be fooled.)