The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21862
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22134
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21862
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:31 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
I figured it was time for an intervention.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21419
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
You off tomorrow? Go. Get up early and go.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22134
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
You off tomorrow? Go. Get up early and go.
The day is coming soon. I made a lot of progress with my back the last few weeks. It's time to start pressing things a bit.
Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21862
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:26 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
You off tomorrow? Go. Get up early and go.
The day is coming soon. I made a lot of progress with my back the last few weeks. It's time to start pressing things a bit.
Lord have mercy.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21419
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:53 pm
FredS wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.
That's for sure! But I'm still waiting for JimVH to post ANY fishing photo.
Me, too, bud. Dig back in the thread a ways and there's a few. I feel like a big poser lately. I haven't fished since last November and haven't caught anything since July before that. I've had a new kayak outfitted for months that has never been wet.

It's just sad.
You off tomorrow? Go. Get up early and go.
The day is coming soon. I made a lot of progress with my back the last few weeks. It's time to start pressing things a bit.
You haven't fished since last November and you're using the 'my backs been out the last few weeks' excuse? Just go. You may or may not be able to go far, but just go. Maybe lovely-Rita-meter-maid can push your wheelchair out on to the handicapped dock down at the park.

Nancy.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27743
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The fishing thread

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Image
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11575
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.

That’s a fantastic bass there, Thunk.

Got to take my daughter out for a bit this evening. She out-fished me in both quantity and size... such a peaceful couple hours.

Image

Image
Quoting this since we're harassing Jim. This lovely little lady is still catching smallmouth on the rig you sent her. If she can do it, you can do it. ;)










(Yes, comparing a young, physically fit teen with no real responsibilities to you is completely unfair, but it’s fun. Also, you’ve had a lot going on this past year, praying for you all)
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 27743
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The fishing thread

Post by DepartedLight » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.

That’s a fantastic bass there, Thunk.

Got to take my daughter out for a bit this evening. She out-fished me in both quantity and size... such a peaceful couple hours.

Image

Image
Quoting this since we're harassing Jim. This lovely little lady is still catching smallmouth on the rig you sent her. If she can do it, you can do it. ;)










(Yes, comparing a young, physically fit teen with no real responsibilities to you is completely unfair, but it’s fun. Also, you’ve had a lot going on this past year, praying for you all)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 22134
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.

That’s a fantastic bass there, Thunk.

Got to take my daughter out for a bit this evening. She out-fished me in both quantity and size... such a peaceful couple hours.

Image

Image
Quoting this since we're harassing Jim. This lovely little lady is still catching smallmouth on the rig you sent her. If she can do it, you can do it. ;)










(Yes, comparing a young, physically fit teen with no real responsibilities to you is completely unfair, but it’s fun. Also, you’ve had a lot going on this past year, praying for you all)
:) I'd be proud to fish like that girl. She has the gift.
Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6061
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:54 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:03 pm
Haven’t posted nearly enough in this thread this summer.

That’s a fantastic bass there, Thunk.

Got to take my daughter out for a bit this evening. She out-fished me in both quantity and size... such a peaceful couple hours.

Image

Image
Quoting this since we're harassing Jim. This lovely little lady is still catching smallmouth on the rig you sent her. If she can do it, you can do it. ;)










(Yes, comparing a young, physically fit teen with no real responsibilities to you is completely unfair, but it’s fun. Also, you’ve had a lot going on this past year, praying for you all)
:) I'd be proud to fish like that girl. She has the gift.
Funny, isn't it.
Some people are just fishy.

Can’t teach that.
You’ve either got it or you don’t.

She’s got it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21419
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:54 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:18 pm
Image
This makes me smile.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 3497
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:56 am

Landed this bad boy!Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21862
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:13 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:56 am
Landed this bad boy!Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Are those true to life colors? Striking!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21862
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:48 pm
Image
This made me go look at your tank thread. I missed the fish in there the first time. My small screen didn't clearly pick them out of the background. I'd say you could try a size 20 hook on them.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 21419
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:50 am

I've been moving my household for a week and a half and I'm beat. Worse, I haven't gone fishing in two weeks. That's a long time for me. I haven't fasted that long since April. So yesterday afternoon I drove up the canyon to my favorite pool to fish some dries. Only I forgot my bag! It was under a moving blanket in the garage and I just overlooked it when I packed my gear. That meant no leaders, tippet, tools, floatant, or flies. All I had was a box of terrestrials I'd left in the jeep from the last trip because it's too big to fit in my pack. So I fished hoppers and ants for a while and picked up a few fish, but they really wanted mayflies. As I sat on the bank looking through that box of mostly foam bugs, wondering what I could remodel to look like a mayfly with only a pocket knife I remembered a beat up parachute Adams I'd stuck in my hat the last time I fished that pool. As luck would have it, I was wearing that hat and the fly was still in it. The hackle was half gone but I tried it anyway and caught 5 or 6 fish with it. The hackle was completely gone after the first fish and it needed a rinse and dry after each fish to keep it floating and even then it fished more as an emerger than a dry most of the time, but still, it performed admirably.

Naked Adams
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6061
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:50 am
I've been moving my household for a week and a half and I'm beat. Worse, I haven't gone fishing in two weeks. That's a long time for me. I haven't fasted that long since April. So yesterday afternoon I drove up the canyon to my favorite pool to fish some dries. Only I forgot my bag! It was under a moving blanket in the garage and I just overlooked it when I packed my gear. That meant no leaders, tippet, tools, floatant, or flies. All I had was a box of terrestrials I'd left in the jeep from the last trip because it's too big to fit in my pack. So I fished hoppers and ants for a while and picked up a few fish, but they really wanted mayflies. As I sat on the bank looking through that box of mostly foam bugs, wondering what I could remodel to look like a mayfly with only a pocket knife I remembered a beat up parachute Adams I'd stuck in my hat the last time I fished that pool. As luck would have it, I was wearing that hat and the fly was still in it. The hackle was half gone but I tried it anyway and caught 5 or 6 fish with it. The hackle was completely gone after the first fish and it needed a rinse and dry after each fish to keep it floating and even then it fished more as an emerger than a dry most of the time, but still, it performed admirably.

Naked Adams
Image
1) Sounds like the discovery of a new pattern to me.
2) Nominated for best new fly name of the decade.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11575
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Long day. Took some time at a little creek after work and finally found some late summer smallmouth. Caught everything on this ugly little hybrid diver/hopper creation.

Image

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 6061
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Made me think of JimVH:

Image
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Post Reply