The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 pm
Made me think of JimVH:

:lol:

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Score one for the Florida Crab. :)

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Score one for the Florida Crab. :)

:bacon: :cheese: :chili:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm

The wonderful friend who'd left a really fine bamboo fly rod with me for the past few years took it home with him after his recent visit. It was a Leonard 38H, as fine a small stream 4wt. as ever existed. It had become, by far, my favorite small stream rod. In the past I've acquired a fair number of bamboo rods, but most of them are longer 5 wts. and up, and with the new budget regime here buying a rod the Leonard's equal was absolutely out of the question.

So . . .

I started watching eBay for a good buy on a Zhu 6'6" 3wt.

The Zhu rods are Chinese rods that won't win any snob appeal points, but they actually cast and fish quite well. The shipping is high on them ($37.50), but the prices vary considerably depending on how well you do at auction. Typically they sell for somewhere between $125 and $200.

I put a lowball bid in on one and managed to get it for $56.00 and change!

I've had it out on the casting lawn and it is really quite sweet with a DT-3, and balanced nicely with this Hardy Featherweight reel I've had for many years.

Maybe I'll get a chance to get up into the high country with it before the aspen lose their color and before the snow falls.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm
The wonderful friend who'd left a really fine bamboo fly rod with me for the past few years took it home with him after his recent visit. It was a Leonard 38H, as fine a small stream 4wt. as ever existed. It had become, by far, my favorite small stream rod. In the past I've acquired a fair number of bamboo rods, but most of them are longer 5 wts. and up, and with the new budget regime here buying a rod the Leonard's equal was absolutely out of the question.

So . . .

I started watching eBay for a good buy on a Zhu 6'6" 3wt.

The Zhu rods are Chinese rods that won't win any snob appeal points, but they actually cast and fish quite well. Theyshipping is high on them ($37.50), but the prices vary considerably depending on how well you do at auction. Typically they sell for somewhere between $125 and $200.

I put a lowball bid in on one and managed to get it for $56.00 and change!

I've had it out on the casting lawn and it is really quite sweet with a DT-3, and balanced nicely with this Hardy Featherweight reel I've had for many years.

Maybe I'll get a chance to get up into the high country with it before the aspen lose their color and before the snow falls.
Nice find. I've been watching for those, but rarely see them on ebay. They're $199 on Amazon.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm
Nice find. I've been watching for those, but rarely see them on ebay. They're $199 on Amazon.
Keep watching, Jim.
If you’re patient, you should eventually see a new one listed and hopefully get a good deal.

I also have the 7 1/2’ 5 wt. and the 8’ 6 wt. that are quite nice, and while I’ve always fished my cane without excessive regard for the occasional nick or scratch, it’s nice to have some good bamboo rods that you won’t want to shoot yourselves over if you snap a tip, or more likely, slam in a car door.

The 7’ 4 wt. is a little soft and slow for my taste. I sold mine to a friend who liked it.

The ones I kept cast as well as a lot of very expensive classic cane rods, and they cost - as you know - a fraction of the classic rod’s cost.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am

A great looking rod and that Hardy reel looks perfect! Congrats
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:24 am

I have a Headwaters 7'-6" 2 pc 5wt rod that I think is a rebranded Zhu rod. It looks just like DP's new rod except it's down-locking. I have no experience with other cane rods so I have no points of reference but I like it just fine.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:30 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:24 am
I have a Headwaters 7'-6" 2 pc 5wt rod that I think is a rebranded Zhu rod. It looks just like DP's new rod except it's down-locking. I have no experience with other cane rods so I have no points of reference but I like it just fine.
It is.
And it is a great rod.

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Had some fun this morning in a new spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Not fishing yet, but Mrs Gabriel talked me into taking that family on a last minute camping trip to a county park.

Fishing tomorrow.

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:06 am

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm
Not fishing yet, but Mrs Gabriel talked me into taking that family on a last minute camping trip to a county park.

Fishing tomorrow.

Great pic. (Pretty cool wife, too)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 am

So, if I took a short early morning morning canoe trip, smoked some PA, and caught a great largemouth on a clouser minnow, but didn’t take any pictures... did it really happen?
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 am
So, if I took a short early morning morning canoe trip, smoked some PA, and caught a great largemouth on a clouser minnow, but didn’t take any pictures... did it really happen?
I believe you.
Sounds wonderful.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Had some fun this morning in a new spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice!

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm
JimVH wrote:
Keep watching, Jim.
If you’re patient, you should eventually see a new one listed and hopefully get a good deal.

I also have the 7 1/2’ 5 wt. and the 8’ 6 wt. that are quite nice, and while I’ve always fished my cane without excessive regard for the occasional nick or scratch, it’s nice to have some good bamboo rods that you won’t want to shoot yourselves over if you snap a tip, or more likely, slam in a car door.

The 7’ 4 wt. is a little soft and slow for my taste. I sold mine to a friend who liked it.

The ones I kept cast as well as a lot of very expensive classic cane rods, and they cost - as you know - a fraction of the classic rod’s cost.
I just got an 8' 6wt with two tips for $41. Saved enough to start looking for a reel.

Thanks for the heads-up.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:35 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm
JimVH wrote:
Keep watching, Jim.

I just got an 8' 6wt with two tips for $41. Saved enough to start looking for a reel.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Fantastic!

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm

So, I’m setting-up an old Shakespeare Automatic 1821 fly reel (grateful nod to Bloodhound). The old line was tied directly to the spool, without any backing, and it took-up most of the spool space. How important is adding backing? Any tricks I need to know? The plan is load it with 6wt line to go on an old-ish fiberglass Browning Silaflex rod.

Also, I found an ebay deal on a Pflueger Medalist 1495 DA with an extra spool. If I understand what I read about aging them, it’s from the early 70’s. It is in remarkable shape and everything works smoothly. Do I need to do anything other than a good clean and lube?

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm
So, I’m setting-up an old Shakespeare Automatic 1821 fly reel (grateful nod to Bloodhound). The old line was tied directly to the spool, without any backing, and it took-up most of the spool space. How important is adding backing? Any tricks I need to know? The plan is load it with 6wt line to go on an old-ish fiberglass Browning Silaflex rod.

Also, I found an ebay deal on a Pflueger Medalist 1495 DA with an extra spool. If I understand what I read about aging them, it’s from the early 70’s. It is in remarkable shape and everything works smoothly. Do I need to do anything other than a good clean and lube?
Backing is important for two reasons:

On those older reels with small arbors, backing increases the diameter of the cylinder the line is wound around, and this keeps it from kinking too badly.

When you catch a strong fish in heavy current you may well need it to keep from losing the fish.

The 1821 is a fairly small reel. You might want to save it for a lighter line weight rod.

A Pflueger Medalist 1495 would balance the cane rod very well. Clean it up, then use silicon grease on the spindle and latch release.

As for fitting a 6 wt. line on the Shakespeare, if you still want to do that:

If the line on the reel is old it may well be either a level line or a double taper. Both need a lot of space. If you replace the old line with a weight forward 6 it will require far less space than an equivalent level or double taper. If the line on there was a 6 or heavier, a WF-6 may fit just fine leaving room for backing.

If this still leaves little room for backing, it’s not likely you’ll often need to cast the 90’ length of a standard line. You can cut off 10’ or 20’ of the back end (running line) to make room for more backing. If you should need a 90’ cast, and can manage that with this rod, it is absolutely possible to shoot backing - it’s just a little harder to do line handling. But how likely are you to need to do that very often?

Finally, a little trick for filling the reel:

Wind the new line on backwards, tie on the backing and wind until it’s full.If you want more backing, unwind the backing, cut off some more running line, retie the backing, wind again until full.

Unwind the backing in BIG loops on the floor so it doesn’t tangle, tie the backing to the reel (use an arbor knot), rewind - Bingo, perfect fit.

Good luck!
Last edited by durangopipe on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Backing is important for two reasons:

On those older reels with small arbors, backing increases the diameter of the cylinder the line is wound around, and this keeps it from kinking too badly.

When you catch a strong fish in heavy current you may well need it to keep from losing the fish.

But a few more things:

If the line on the reel is old it may well be either a level line or a double taper. Both need a lot of space. If you replace the old line with a weight forward 6 it will require far less space than an equivalent level or double taper. If the line on there was a 6 or heavier, a WF-6 may fit just fine leaving room for backing.

If this still leaves little room for backing, it’s not likely you’ll often need to cast the 90’ length of a standard line. You can cut off 10’ or 20’ of the back end (running line) to make room for more backing. If you should need a 90’ cast, and can manage that with this rod, it is absolutely possible to shoot backing - it’s just a little harder to do line handling. But how likely are you to need to do that very often?

Finally, a little trick for filling the reel:

Wind the new line on backwards, tie on the backing and wind until it’s full.If you want more backing, unwind the backing, cut off some more running line, retie the backing, wind again until full.

Unwind the backing in BIG loops on the floor so it doesn’t tangle, tie the backing to the reel (use an arbor knot), rewind - Bingo, perfect fit.

Good luck!
You are the bomb. That all makes perfect sense. Thanks. You just saved me a big headache.