The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 pm

^

I clarified the post a little, Jim.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:07 pm

The 1821 is a fairly small reel. You might want to save it for a lighter line weight rod.

A Pflueger Medalist 1495 would balance the cane rod very well. Clean it up, then use silicon grease on the spindle and latch release.
That's what I'm now thinking for the 1821.

I was hoping the 1495 would be suitable for the cane. I read one comment that suggested it was a little too big for 6wt line. I appreciate knowing it will work.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 pm

JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm
durangopipe wrote:

The 1821 is a fairly small reel. You might want to save it for a lighter line weight rod.

A Pflueger Medalist 1495 would balance the cane rod very well. Clean it up, then use silicon grease on the spindle and latch release.

I was hoping the 1495 would be suitable for the cane. I read one comment that suggested it was a little too big for 6wt line. I appreciate knowing it will work.
It is absolutely perfect.

You’ll have plenty of room for backing, and yes, you could fit a WF-6 on a 1494, but the 1495 will take a DT-6 if you want to use one, or a WF-6 with lots of backing.

More importantly, although it is generally better to get as light a reel as you can for a graphite rod of reasonable length, an 8’ cane rod is far more comfortable to cast if you aren’t fighting against a heavy feeling tip. If your hand is near the balance point, your wrist will take far less abuse, and fishing will be far more enjoyable.

The Pflueger 1495 is about as perfect a match for that rod as there is, both in terms of size and weight and aesthetics.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 pm
JimVH wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:34 pm
durangopipe wrote:

It is absolutely perfect.

You’ll have plenty of room for backing, and yes, you could fit a WF-6 on a 1494, but the 1495 will take a DT-6 if you want to use one, or a WF-6 with lots of backing.

More importantly, although it is generally better to get as light a reel as you can for a graphite rod of reasonable length, an 8’ cane rod is far more comfortable to cast if you aren’t fighting against a heavy feeling tip. If your hand is near the balance point, your wrist will take far less abuse, and fishing will be far more enjoyable.

The Pflueger 1495 is about as perfect a match for that rod as there is, both in terms of size and weight and aesthetics.
Thank you for the schooling and the reassurance.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:28 am

Durango knows a thing or two because he's seen a thing or two.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

Pics, or none of this happened.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am
Pics, or none of this happened.
Soon. The rod is literally on a slow boat from China. :)

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Found a great stream in NC while camping last week. Threw everything in my fly box... wets, drys, streamers, nymphs, midges, hoppers etc and got one fish all morning. Then out of desperation tied on a dry dropper with an egg pattern and it was on. They couldn’t get enough. Image Image

Also got to stop in and see IrishDane while passing through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Wow. Looks amazing.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:06 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm
Found a great stream in NC while camping last week. Threw everything in my fly box... wets, drys, streamers, nymphs, midges, hoppers etc and got one fish all morning. Then out of desperation tied on a dry dropper with an egg pattern and it was on. They couldn’t get enough. Image Image

Beeyooteefull!

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 am

Dlibbon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 pm

Win Win & Win
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Very shallow water on the river tonight meant it was time to try my Mickey Finn inspired streamers. This one is on a short bait hook and the smallmouth were fighting over it. Good times.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm
Very shallow water on the river tonight meant it was time to try my Mickey Finn inspired streamers. This one is on a short bait hook and the smallmouth were fighting over it. Good times.

Nothin’ better than catching fish on a fly you “invented!”

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:59 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Nothin’ better than catching fish on a fly you “invented!”
Yep. It's also a great feeling to have a body of knowledge stored away so you can quickly access the conditions - of the water level, clarity, sky, temp, time of day, time of year and a dozen other factors - and zero in on the right fly to tie on. Nice one Gabe.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am

Fish My City

So this new show on Nat Geo Wild looks like it has potential. It's a six episode series focusing on fishing urban waters around the globe. The first episode, this coming Friday night, focuses on New York City.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am
Fish My City

So this new show on Nat Geo Wild looks like it has potential. It's a six episode series focusing on fishing urban waters around the globe. The first episode, this coming Friday night, focuses on New York City.
Looks like a good show to watch!

My old editor, Nick Lyons, grew up in NYC and fished the hell out of the city as a kid.

Some of my favorite stories were his tales of urban fishing, often sent to me by snail mail and written on his typewriter that punched holes in the paper and made his letters look like Swiss cheese.

Something about a city kid in an apartment building wanting to be in the wild so much he'd walk across town to the water with a fishing pole, climb down the bank of a trashed urban river to cast his hopes and dreams that really touched my heart.

Later, of course, he was invited to fish some of the best private trout water in the West. But the spirit of that spunky little city kid never left him. Or his writing.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:20 am
JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:53 am
Fish My City

Looks like a good show to watch!

My old editor, Nick Lyons, grew up in NYC and fished the hell out of the city as a kid.

Some of my favorite stories were his tales of urban fishing, often sent to me by snail mail and written on his typewriter that punched holes in the paper and made his letters look like Swiss cheese.

Something about a city kid in an apartment building wanting to be in the wild so much he'd walk across town to the water with a fishing pole, climb down the bank of a trashed urban river to cast his hopes and dreams that really touched my heart.

Later, of course, he was invited to fish some of the best private trout water in the West. But the spirit of that spunky little city kid never left him. Or his writing.
It's so important to introduce urban kids to the outdoors in ways accessible to them. It's so hard. I would know with my own urban kids. Sports also really impedes our outdoor heritage. The expectations to be there for one thing or another is intense all week. Church also takes a back seat. I have two sons, yet most of my time outdoors is alone or with other men because my kids have responsibilities elsewhere all the time. At least the surf is close and easily accessible to us.

My younger son isn't an athlete though, and he's getting old enough to tag along more. I'm hopeful. I'm also hopeful that son 1 will someday come home and want to spend time hunting and fishing with me. But right now, football and lacrosse consumes him. He's good, the fastest kid on both teams and driven to win. Getting up at 4 AM to hunt or fish with me when he needs sleep after all his hard work is understandably a tall order.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:22 am

I had the honor to take my brother-in-law on an outing last Thursday for his birthday fishing trip, (he's 81 years old today). It was a good morning as far as getting out, and for visiting, but not too good for fishing. We fished some reefs for trout, cruised the lake's Louisiana shore line for whatever, and ventured up some of the small bayous for flounder and redfish. My motor was giving me some issues, and I didn't realize it until too late, but I didn't even take any pics. But my bil did, and shared a couple, bless him.

This was the only trout of the day, an 18" speck that I fileted and sent home with him.

Hopefully we'll have another chance or two before hunting season tries to completely take over.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am

I want to be like Tim when I grow up.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am
I want to be like Tim when I grow up.
Ha! Thanks Fred, (I think).
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)