The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am
I want to be like Tim when I grow up.
Ha! Thanks Fred, (I think).
I'm serious. You're doing it right my friend.

I know you don't just wake up one morning and find yourself in the place you want to be. You didn't stroll through the last 40 years hoping things would go your way - you've worked hard to build the life you want. I know of some of the tragedies in your life but you aren't living a tragic life. I admire that and I hope our youngish CPS'ers are paying attention.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:27 pm

Thousands of fish (carp and trout) died a few days ago in a section of the Poudre River that flows through town. I think it's due to horribly low flow (low oxygen) and abnormally high temperatures. Less snow pack from last winter and a very dry summer/fall has the river lower than I've ever seen it. Plus we had temps over 90 for almost a week at the end of September. Not good. I stopped fishing it a few weeks ago as the flow and temperature were stressful - to the fish - even up at higher elevations. The Crunchy's were quick to blame the die off on humans - fracking, housing developments, and global warming have all been cited. State officials are investigating.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:27 pm
Thousands of fish (carp and trout) died a few days ago in a section of the Poudre River that flows through town. I think it's due to horribly low flow (low oxygen) and abnormally high temperatures. Less snow pack from last winter and a very dry summer/fall has the river lower than I've ever seen it. Plus we had temps over 90 for almost a week at the end of September. Not good. I stopped fishing it a few weeks ago as the flow and temperature were stressful - to the fish - even up at higher elevations. The Crunchy's were quick to blame the die off on humans - fracking, housing developments, and global warming have all been cited. State officials are investigating.
As long as State officials investigate fracking, housing developments, and global warming they just might find the problem. :mrgreen:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:27 pm
As long as State officials investigate fracking, housing developments, and global warming they just might find the problem. :mrgreen:
I know you joke, but it brings up an interesting point. CO isn't as liberal as CA but we'd give you a good run for the money.

We have thousands of government employees keeping an eye on fracking, housing developments, and emissions that contribute to climate change. But still. . .
There's a proposition on next months ballot that would increase the 'set back' of new oil and gas 'development projects' from 500' to 2500' from occupied buildings and other areas deemed 'vulnerable'. This would effectively prevent new drilling in Colorado everywhere except federal lands. The energy industry provides a pretty good chunk of our states revenue and this proposition would have a huge effect on the state budget. I've seen literally NO political ads in favor of Prop 112, but hundreds against it. I imagine there was a large petition drive with attractive college girls with clipboards asking folks to sign up against polluting water sources by stopping fracking. After all, who the hell wants water poisoned by fracking? So it's on the ballot without much real support.

My point with the rambling story is that it's easy to get people worked up when you mention fracking, urban sprawl, or climate change. Crunchy code words if you will. As a conservative who enjoys beautiful places (that one can actually access) I think one of the things worth conserving is the environment. Woods and water are important to me. So are affordable energy and well funded public schools. It's easy enough for me to afford high heating bills and private schools for my kiddos, but the single mother or immigrant family down the street may not be able to swing it. Reasonable oversight and rules enforcement should be able to protect us from the ills of drilling while allowing energy extraction and the revenue it generates.
Last edited by FredS on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Funny thing is, I said several times to folks in the last few months as I teeter between California and Texas, “California is too blue, Texas is too red and Colorado is just the right shade of purple.”

But we better watch it, we’re in the fellowship hall in the river here. We better let this one go. :D
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Hit up my favorite stretch of river the other day. It's beautiful up there.

Usually, when a fisherman talks about the scenery it means the fishing was no good. There were plenty of fish around but they're in sad shape heading in to winter. This guy is all mouth and tail with not much in between.

The rainbows seemed to make it through August and September better than the browns, but they're still skinnier than they should be.

Zug Bugs and Brown Zebra Midges were the hot flies this 50 degree evening.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Just catching up on the thread ...
“FredS” wrote:... a large petition drive with attractive college girls with clipboards asking folks to sign up
Wait, that was about fracking?
I thought it was a free health club membership.

There were plenty of fish around but they're in sad shape heading in to winter.
Same here. Maybe worse.

If we have a wet winter with a flushing flow during runoff they’ll likely recover. Another winter like last year and it’s going to be pretty bad for the fish.

The most recent drought map:

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Been absent from the forum a lot this summer I wish it was because I was bending rods but just life getting in the way. Good to drop back in and get inspired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Planning to go to a 'winter fishing' presentation at St Peter's (local fly shop) this evening.

". . . highlighting the most underrated of all fishing seasons, WINTER. Yeah, we said it. We take our winter fishing seriously and want to show you the where’s, when’s, and how’s to get it done consistently during winter."

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm

These are some serious fishermen; or perhaps this is a serious fisherman. Anyway I stopped behind this truck at a light last week. There were rods, chests, buckets, fire extinguishers, landing nets, among other things fastened to the side of the truck. It was cold and raining. My guess is that "they" were going flounder fishing; from the look of it probably on the way to buy some live bait. Note the lights rigged at the back of the vehicle, handy for night fishing.

I couldn't resist taking a quick photo.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm
These are some serious fishermen; or perhaps this is a serious fisherman. Anyway I stopped behind this truck at a light last week. There were rods, chests, buckets, fire extinguishers, landing nets, among other things fastened to the side of the truck. It was cold and raining. My guess is that "they" were going flounder fishing; from the look of it probably on the way to buy some live bait. Note the lights rigged at the back of the vehicle, handy for night fishing.

Wow...dedicated to the hobby!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:37 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Wow...dedicated to the hobby!
That's how my grandson would outfit his kayak if he could get away with it.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

My medical crap has been rearing its ugly head again lately.
Been trying to ignore it.

But this afternoon was bad, and tonight we are missing the guide service/fly shop Christmas Party that’s happening right now. :(

It was going to be story telling night in the downstairs room we reserved in a local Irish pub, with three generations of guides (I’m the oldest) sharing tales and general B.S. I had a few “good old days” tales about San Juan River fishing from 40 years ago ready to go. Crowds were nonexistent back then and a few of us had the river practically to ourselves. I can remember snowy winter days back in the 70s and 80s when there might have been me and a buddy and maybe two or three other fishermen on the entire Quality Water stretch. Flows were good. Bugs were insanely thick. Fish were untouched, fat and all sassy as hell.

First time Mrs. DP and I will miss the party in around 30 years.
Mrs. DP is really bummed. She loves these guys. Me too.

San Juan rainbow taken from the seam of an eddy at the top of Lunker Lane. He’s bigger than he looks - about 3 lbs. That’s a Broden steelhead net.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

But this afternoon was bad, and tonight we are missing the guide service/fly shop Christmas Party that’s happening right now. :(

It was going to be story telling night in the downstairs room we reserved in a local Irish pub, with three generations of guides (I’m the oldest) sharing tales and general B.S. I had a few “good old days” tales about San Juan River fishing from 40 years ago ready to go. Crowds were nonexistent back then and a few of us had the river practically to ourselves. I can remember snowy winter days back in the 70s and 80s when there might have been me and a buddy and maybe two or three other fishermen on the entire Quality Water stretch. Flows were good. Bugs were insanely thick. Fish were untouched, fat and all sassy as hell.

San Juan rainbow taken from the seam of an eddy at the top of Lunker Lane. He’s bigger than he looks - about 3 lbs. That’s a Broden steelhead net.
Beautiful fish. But man I'm bummed too, that you're feeling bad enough to miss your party. In fact, damn the damned party. Prayers that you get feeling better.

BTW, the only wild fish that I've ever caught that looked similar to yours, but much smaller, was with the first fishing guide that I ever hired. I was at a workshop in Big Sky, and a co-worker and I contacted a local shop and arranged a guide, who loaned us waders, rods, gear; well, everything. It was mid-September and already snowing. We had the Gallatin all to ourselves. The guide got irritated when I referred to the strike indicator as a cork. But he was a good guy, and very knowledgeable, and complimented me on my mends. When we were done I looked in my wallet and only had a 20. I handed it to him and said "I don't know what's customary but this is what I have". He took it with a chuckle and said thanks, so I had the feeling that he typically received better.
Last edited by sweetandsour on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:29 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Beautiful fish. But man I'm bummed too, that you're feeling bad enough to miss your party. In fact, damn the damned party. Prayers that you get feeling better.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank’s for the support guys.
I got a really nice email from the shop owner this morning telling me how much Debbie and I were missed.

There are two weeks left in the term, and right now I’m mostly concerned about making it to class tomorrow. And a pretty big deal is that I have been asked to be the faculty Marshall at the December graduation ceremony. I imagine it’s mostly an honor because I officially retired last spring after nearly 20 years in the English dept. and am now back, ensconced in my office until I croak, as an old codger teaching a course or two here and there. Have to admit,I kinda like this old codger thing.

I’m really hoping to be well enough to make it to the rest of my classes this term and to graduation, and to be ready for the new term in January after a few weeks recovery.

As long as we’re here, I dug up another old San Juan photo. Notice, there’s not another fisherman in sight!

Those of you who fish the San Juan probably can’t imagine a time when that ever existed! It was magical. A few of us had the river pretty much to ourselves for years. Same for the Dolores in its heyday.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Sorry you missed the party with your peeps.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:41 pm
Continuing prayers for your recovery and health
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 pm
FredS wrote:
Same here. Sorry to hear all of it.
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:12 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:20 pm
FredS wrote:
Same here. Sorry to hear all of it.
Yeah, that really sucks. I'm sorry, bud.