The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:46 pm

Nice fish...glad to see you back around here
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Bloodhound wrote:Nice fish...glad to see you back around here
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Anyone use a wading staff? I wasted plenty of time the other day eyeing trekking poles at the local shop. The stretches of my home river that I like to fish - coincidentally the water others don't fish - is pretty fast and bouldery with cobbles the size of bowling balls. After sliding down the mountain last fall, I decided I'm too old to take foolish chances so I'm looking to towards reducing risk. If you use one, what do you use? I have some busted hockey sticks around here but telescoping trekking poles can be had for $20 so it's silly to DIY. Do you have it on a tether so it hangs downstream when not in use? Does it get in your way when you're stripping in a lot of line? Carbide or rubber tip?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:38 pm

I’m afraid I have no advice on the wading staff...

I do have a question:

A couple summers ago Mrs Gabriel picked up this old 8wt fiberglass fly rod that I’m finally putting some line on and hoping to use this year. The ferrules are the steel type wrapped on with thread.

The main threads have some cracks and the ferrule is a little wobbly, not bad, but it’s not tight. Any advice for reinforcing? Polyurethane? Superglue?

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:38 pm
I’m afraid I have no advice on the wading staff...

I do have a question:

A couple summers ago Mrs Gabriel picked up this old 8wt fiberglass fly rod that I’m finally putting some line on and hoping to use this year. The ferrules are the steel type wrapped on with thread.

The main threads have some cracks and the ferrule is a little wobbly, not bad, but it’s not tight. Any advice for reinforcing? Polyurethane? Superglue?

Ferrule to ferrule not tight or ferrule to blank?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Ferrule to blank is a little dodgy. Ferrule connection is great. The reel seat connection is going to need some attention too. Probably just some locktight or some such.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Got out with the kids a bit today. So glad to be feeling good enough for a little time by the lake. No fish were moving in the shallows yet, and I’m not yet recovered enough to hike the creek, but it was so good to be out.

My 8 year old chattered my ear off and is begging to be taught to use my fly rod...

Not even the venerable ptn got a reaction from the fish.

Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Glad to hear that you are mendin' Congrats on the time on the water with the kids.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:28 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:53 pm
Glad to hear that you are mendin' Congrats on the time on the water with the kids.
What he said.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 pm

ImageImageImageImage

This was probably my favourite fishing trip ever, my boy is usually pretty stoic....

This was about a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Sledin wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 pm
Great shot. If that doesn't make you smile...
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am

Hey new guy - you know what I like better than seeing kids fishing?
Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:13 pm

So I pilfered the neighbors trash this weekend. I'd like to think I'm above such behavior, but this time I found my limit.

Rita and I drove by Friday evening as he was setting out his trash. He's been in downsizing mode (headed for the condo lifestyle) for a while now and has put a lot of scavengable stuff out for the last few weeks. It hasn't triggered me until I saw a wooden trout fishing net sticking out of a box. How dare he throw away something so precious and so useful when there are people in need, I thought. I parked in my drive two doors down and watched for him to go inside and close his garage. Rita, sensing what I was scheming, wanted no part of it and went into the house mumbling something that seemed to question my character. Women... am I right?

Anyway, as his garage door closed, I moved toward his trash pile with the cat-like smoothness of a ninja. Shazaam. There at the curb lay large plastic tubs neatly packed with all manner of fishing treasure. Reels, nets, line, loaded fly boxes, lures, hooks, weights of all sizes, a handheld GPS, knives, pliers, forceps, a pile of plastic organizer boxes, chest packs, and more, much of which is brand new. It took me two trips to hump all that stuff home.

Boom.

I saw him the next day and told him I shamelessly dug through his trash. He was happy someone was putting it all to use.

Win, meet win.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:16 pm

nice

A few months ago, Mrs FredS and I went to an estate auction of a widower who had moved to AZ. It was one of those sales where you can walk through the house and then place internet bids. Highest bid wins. There was a literal ton of outdoor supplies, much of it for for fly fishing and tying. Some really nice tying supplies but the rods and reels were suspiciously second rate stuff. I asked the auctioneer if someone had already picked through it and he said no, the old coot kept the good stuff when he moved.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am
Hey new guy - you know what I like better than seeing kids fishing?
Nothing.
Not one damn thing.
Yup! Me too.
Nice mess of walleye.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:13 pm
So I pilfered the neighbors trash this weekend. I'd like to think I'm above such behavior, but this time I found my limit.

Rita and I drove by Friday evening as he was setting out his trash. He's been in downsizing mode (headed for the condo lifestyle) for a while now and has put a lot of scavengable stuff out for the last few weeks. It hasn't triggered me until I saw a wooden trout fishing net sticking out of a box. How dare he throw away something so precious and so useful when there are people in need, I thought. I parked in my drive two doors down and watched for him to go inside and close his garage. Rita, sensing what I was scheming, wanted no part of it and went into the house mumbling something that seemed to question my character. Women... am I right?

Anyway, as his garage door closed, I moved toward his trash pile with the cat-like smoothness of a ninja. Shazaam. There at the curb lay large plastic tubs neatly packed with all manner of fishing treasure. Reels, nets, line, loaded fly boxes, lures, hooks, weights of all sizes, a handheld GPS, knives, pliers, forceps, a pile of plastic organizer boxes, chest packs, and more, much of which is brand new. It took me two trips to hump all that stuff home.

Boom.

I saw him the next day and told him I shamelessly dug through his trash. He was happy someone was putting it all to use.

Win, meet win.
Big time!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:41 pm

JimVH wrote:

Boom.

Win, meet win.
8O whoa...
Sola Deo Gloria

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:09 pm
JimVH wrote:

Boom.

Win, meet win.
Big time!
The Rita part made me chuckle out loud..

Well done.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:15 am

JimVH wrote:

Boom.

Win, meet win.
:dance:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:16 pm
nice

A few months ago, Mrs FredS and I went to an estate auction of a widower who had moved to AZ. It was one of those sales where you can walk through the house and then place internet bids. Highest bid wins. There was a literal ton of outdoor supplies, much of it for for fly fishing and tying. Some really nice tying supplies but the rods and reels were suspiciously second rate stuff. I asked the auctioneer if someone had already picked through it and he said no, the old coot kept the good stuff when he moved.
Smart guy :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )