The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Finally! First fist of the year. Went up to the little lake in town to see if the panfish were biting yet and managed to land a few. Water is still cold.

Peacock body, pheasant hackle. Good times.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Well done young man!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 pm

I think it’s time to hunt for some halibut and croakers in the surf. It’s been a few months since I went fishing. The last time I was wearing flip flops and getting bit by fire ants while targeting largemouth bass. Back to the salt and surf! :dance:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 pm
I think it’s time to hunt for some halibut and croakers in the surf. It’s been a few months since I went fishing. The last time I was wearing flip flops and getting bit by fire ants while targeting largemouth bass. Back to the salt and surf! :dance:
With a fly rod?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:37 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 pm
With a fly rod?
No, not now. Too windy for my 6 weight. I need to get a big 8 or 9 Spey rod one of these days for conditions like this. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm
Finally! First fist of the year. Went up to the little lake in town to see if the panfish were biting yet and managed to land a few. Water is still cold.

Very nice. I haven't been able to get out this spring too much. Just too busy. Retired, and too busy.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:59 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Very nice. I haven't been able to get out this spring too much. Just too busy. Retired, and too busy.
Jealous, Gabe. Good stuff.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 pm

If you have Animal Planet (I don't) there's an interesting show coming on in a couple of weeks.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:36 pm

“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 pm
If you have Animal Planet (I don't) there's an interesting show coming on in a couple of weeks.

This was on last night...They ran a couple of episodes about a year ago...looks like they re-worked it and it looked good last night...Golden Dorado in South America. the adventure of getting to the fishing was most of the show.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am
FredS wrote:

This was on last night...They ran a couple of episodes about a year ago...looks like they re-worked it and it looked good last night...Golden Dorado in South America. the adventure of getting to the fishing was most of the show.
As we well know, just being 'out there' brings adventures and discoveries apart from the fishing. I still laugh to myself imagining you fishing when Mrs Moose introduced herself up in South Park. The only times I've ever seen bobcats were when I was fishing - they tend not to be walking around the parking lot at Walmart. My favorite pheasant hunting memories involve pushing my uncles station wagon through a half mile of muddy road, and running out of propane and damn near freezing when I borrowed my dads camp trailer so my buddies and I could save motel money. Don't get me wrong, catching fish and killing birds is important - I sure as hell wouldn't camp out in western Kansas in November if I wasn't hunting - but it's not the only reason we go.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:58 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:23 am
FredS wrote:

As we well know, just being 'out there' brings adventures and discoveries apart from the fishing. I still laugh to myself imagining you fishing when Mrs Moose introduced herself up in South Park. The only times I've ever seen bobcats were when I was fishing - they tend not to be walking around the parking lot at Walmart. My favorite pheasant hunting memories involve pushing my uncles station wagon through a half mile of muddy road, and running out of propane and damn near freezing when I borrowed my dads camp trailer so my buddies and I could save motel money. Don't get me wrong, catching fish and killing birds is important - I sure as hell wouldn't camp out in western Kansas in November if I wasn't hunting - but it's not the only reason we go.
That is for sure. I am looking forward to some of their Alaska and Canada trips/episodes
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am

I haven't been fishing lately. In fact I haven't even been up the canyon since ice off. My day job and a shop project I've been working on have kept me pinned down and wound tight. Mrs FredS called me as she was driving to work this morning to tell me she saw two guys fly fishing in my river. She suggested I go this evening. I said I was too busy. She said "No, you need to go. For my sanity as much as yours."

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am
I haven't been fishing lately. In fact I haven't even been up the canyon since ice off. My day job and a shop project I've been working on have kept me pinned down and wound tight. Mrs FredS called me as she was driving to work this morning to tell me she saw two guys fly fishing in my river. She suggested I go this evening. I said I was too busy. She said "No, you need to go. For my sanity as much as yours."
:lol:
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm
FredS wrote:
You’ll feel better. That was me too. I’ve been fishing about every other day for the last week. Much better, son2 agrees.

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 pm

If you want a good fishing video binge check out “uncut angling” on YouTube, “39 hours” is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:
You’ll feel better. That was me too. I’ve been fishing about every other day for the last week. Much better, son2 agrees.
That's great, Thunk!

BTW, I can't tell what kind of fish those are. They look similar to what we call skipjacks, or ladyfish. But also similar to Spanish mackeral, and what we call "yellowtail".
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:
That's great, Thunk!

BTW, I can't tell what kind of fish those are. They look similar to what we call skipjacks, or ladyfish. But also similar to Spanish mackeral, and what we call "yellowtail".
Whatever they are, they were biting!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:56 am

Thunktank wrote:
This makes me smile. Because, you know, I kinda like to see kids fishing.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:17 am

Stumbled on to a few British films about fishing.

Making a spey rod: