The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 am

Gone fishing:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:20 am

British people are weird:
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:47 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am
I haven't been fishing lately. In fact I haven't even been up the canyon since ice off. My day job and a shop project I've been working on have kept me pinned down and wound tight. Mrs FredS called me as she was driving to work this morning to tell me she saw two guys fly fishing in my river. She suggested I go this evening. I said I was too busy. She said "No, you need to go. For my sanity as much as yours."
:lol:
You’ll feel better. That was me too. I’ve been fishing about every other day for the last week. Much better, son2 agrees.
That's great, Thunk!

BTW, I can't tell what kind of fish those are. They look similar to what we call skipjacks, or ladyfish. But also similar to Spanish mackeral, and what we call "yellowtail".
Whatever they are, they were biting!
They are mackeral. Great fun on light tackle, especially if one is a kid. They frequently take bait in hordes like this. This is good training for big game fishing later. We were fishing the pier last night with extended family members, one, my pregnant niece, who lives in New Zealand now. They fish for Kingfish (like Yellowtail) off their pier when they aren’t using their jet ski with a fishing package on the reefs.

We talked about how we need to go to New Zealand and fish off their jet skies for Marlin and Kingfish. I’m in!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 pm

Marlin on jet ski? Now we're talking!

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 pm
Holy mackerel!

:D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:31 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:47 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:37 pm
Holy mackerel!

Indeed.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Finally caught a few decent sized fish tonight. This guy was a lot of fun to catch, got him on the first real cast. White clouser minnow with lead eyes in fast water.

Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:39 pm
Finally caught a few decent sized fish tonight. This guy was a lot of fun to catch, got him on the first real cast. White clouser minnow with lead eyes in fast water.

He's fierce looking.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:07 am

Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish.

Horrible hero shot.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
Gabriel wrote:

He's fierce looking.
He does not look happy about the situation
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:55 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:07 am
Gabriel wrote:

Nice fish.

Horrible hero shot.
Heh. I wasn't about to lip that guy. I was also standing in water and terrified I was going to drop my phone... I was an idiot and didn't bring my fishing case.
Sola Deo Gloria

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:00 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am
JimVH wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
Gabriel wrote:

He's fierce looking.
He does not look happy about the situation
I'm thinking most fish aren't.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm

The Doing of the Thing.

Wow, talk about a common thread in my life this week. . .

1. I heard an artist speak last weekend. Like most creative types (hell, like everyone really) she's had issues. I was at an exhibition of her work that was mostly pages from the journal her therapist suggested she keep for a year. She often didn't want to, but after a while she felt comfort in The Doing of the Thing.

C. Our pastor spoke about Simon Peter, Thomas and two other disciples who were lost after the death of Jesus. Not knowing how to process what had happened, Simon Peter said "I'm going fishing." The others went too. They were fishermen - it's what they did. The looked for familiar comfort in The Doing of the Thing.

E. Last night I watched a short video of an old man building a wood wheelchair ramp in front of his house. It was mostly a philosophical monologue on work. He took exception to the "Work smart, not hard" mantra. Sometimes, the work is hard, but often there is a sort of zen in digging post holes, hauling lumber, making sawdust. Even when it's hard and exhausting, especially when it's hard and exhausting, there's satisfaction in The Doing of the Thing.

3. Today I visited with a friend who mentioned that most of his enjoyment in hunting and fishing is not from catching or killing anything. It's simply The Doing of the Thing.

4. Just now, I read an article titled "The Doing of the Thing" in a fishing webzine. Check it out This Is Fly

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 04, 2019 2:22 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 pm
The Doing of the Thing.

Wow, talk about a common thread in my life this week. . .

1. I heard an artist speak last weekend. Like most creative types (hell, like everyone really) she's had issues. I was at an exhibition of her work that was mostly pages from the journal her therapist suggested she keep for a year. She often didn't want to, but after a while she felt comfort in The Doing of the Thing.

C. Our pastor spoke about Simon Peter, Thomas and two other disciples who were lost after the death of Jesus. Not knowing how to process what had happened, Simon Peter said "I'm going fishing." The others went too. They were fishermen - it's what they did. The looked for familiar comfort in The Doing of the Thing.

E. Last night I watched a short video of an old man building a wood wheelchair ramp in front of his house. It was mostly a philosophical monologue on work. He took exception to the "Work smart, not hard" mantra. Sometimes, the work is hard, but often there is a sort of zen in digging post holes, hauling lumber, making sawdust. Even when it's hard and exhausting, especially when it's hard and exhausting, there's satisfaction in The Doing of the Thing.

3. Today I visited with a friend who mentioned that most of his enjoyment in hunting and fishing is not from catching or killing anything. It's simply The Doing of the Thing.

4. Just now, I read an article titled "The Doing of the Thing" in a fishing webzine. Check it out This Is Fly
Enjoyed the article, Fred.
Thanks for the link.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Sun May 05, 2019 6:07 am

First time on the fly in the mountains in a while. Fishing natives on some small streams and the last day on a hatchery supported creek. Lots of good fish to be had!

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Beautiful fish in a beautiful place. Thanks.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 05, 2019 8:05 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm
Beautiful fish in a beautiful place. Thanks.
Yep.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 pm

I got out a couple times last week. Water was cold but it sort of snuck up on me and I didn't notice how cold it was 'till my legs started going numb after a couple hours. Still, I caught some fish so it was awright. I'm going to like my new Redington waders but I need to attach some paracord loops on the suspenders and belt loop to hold my lanyard and net. The places I most often fish are places that others don't and these things seem substantial enough to hold up to 2 or 3 years of climbing over and through boulders and dead pines. I'm not yet in the groove and I showed up at the river the other day with no hat. HTF do you forget your hat? I have a mantra - Rod, Reel, Waders, Boots, and Bag I sing to the tune of a *rodeo song my son in-law wrote when he was a teen aged Garth Brooks/Chris Ledoux wanna be - that I use to make sure I don't forget anything vital, but I never imagined I could forget a hat.

*At the wedding reception of my daughter and SIL, they played a looped slide show with Jamie's songs as the score. I must have heard that damn song a hundred times.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:39 pm