The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:59 am

Gabriel wrote:. Carp will drive you insane, but catching one will keep you trying for years...
Such a good quote.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:27 am

I’ve been doing some light tackle surf fishing lately. Given the nature of fishing as such, my phone/camera is kept tucked away unless something exceptional is caught.

That nearly happened a couple of weeks ago. My son2 caught a nice halibut on light line. He couldn’t beach it, so I rushed in to help, literally rushed into the surf to grab the fish. He was fishing a steep beach and couldn’t land the fish without the next wave taking it back out. But before we could play it to a better place, it came unhooked!

Let’s just say that I would make a very bad bear. Twice I had my arms around the fish that got unhooked. The waves were cashing over my back as I attempted to hold on, lose it, and grab it again. The second time I grabbed it upside down and it thwacked me in the face with it’s tail. But alas, it got away. My fishing buddy and son were both laughing despite the loss due to the entertainment I provided them.

Then I walked out of the surf and noticed that my foot hurt real bad. I sprained my foot. It ended up all back and blue and swollen. I had to walk with a cane for a couple days. It still hurts some.

Anyway, we went out again Saturday evening and made up for it.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:28 am

Went up the canyon a couple days ago. The river is still *high and fast so I left my waders home lest I be tempted to doing something foolish. Didn't work. I found some calm(ish) water and the next thing I knew I was tossing my wallet and keys back to the bank so they'd stay dry, and wading deep. It was worth it, but dang man, that water was cold.

*Two rafters died on this river last week and the swift water rescue team rescued nine more yesterday. One was life flighted to hospital. People are stupid. Last week, some yokels bought a cheap raft and gave it a whirl. Two adult men and a teenaged boy. The boy was the only one wearing a vest when they got dumped. One of the adults is still missing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:52 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:33 pm
Image
:rotfl:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I haven’t gotten my fly rod out yet this year. Time constraints have kept me on the local beach and crowds and conditions have kept me using spinning gear. I can’t do much about the crowds. Fly fishing just takes up a lot of room and overhead casting is the only way I can “get the fly out there in the surf.” There’s just a few too many oblivious folks on the beach during summer. The other problem I’m having is that the conditions are begging for a bigger fast action rod. Go too big, the typical fish aren’t very sporting, too small, you can’t cast it out. Regardless, I’m entertaining a new beach rod. Any suggestions?
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 pm
I haven’t gotten my fly rod out yet this year. Time constraints have kept me on the local beach and crowds and conditions have kept me using spinning gear. I can’t do much about the crowds. Fly fishing just takes up a lot of room and overhead casting is the only way I can “get the fly out there in the surf.” There’s just a few too many oblivious folks on the beach during summer. The other problem I’m having is that the conditions are begging for a bigger fast action rod. Go too big, the typical fish aren’t very sporting, too small, you can’t cast it out. Regardless, I’m entertaining a new beach rod. Any suggestions?
Definitely go two-hander.
You’ll never look back.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:24 pm
I haven’t gotten my fly rod out yet this year. Time constraints have kept me on the local beach and crowds and conditions have kept me using spinning gear. I can’t do much about the crowds. Fly fishing just takes up a lot of room and overhead casting is the only way I can “get the fly out there in the surf.” There’s just a few too many oblivious folks on the beach during summer. The other problem I’m having is that the conditions are begging for a bigger fast action rod. Go too big, the typical fish aren’t very sporting, too small, you can’t cast it out. Regardless, I’m entertaining a new beach rod. Any suggestions?
Definitely go two-hander.
You’ll never look back.
No, seriously, please look back. There's always a numbnuts walking behind you.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11852
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Vacation is in one month. The cottage is paid for - on the beach, but across the road. No houses directly between us and the beach, but it still saved me several hundred dollars. Unfortunately none of the shops on the island rent fishing gear. So we either need to take my bass rods, buy some surf fishing gear, or skip the fishing. If I can pick up some serviceable surf salt water gear without breaking my budget for the trip, I might just do that.

Any recommendations for saltwater gear - surf fishing gear that is reliable yet inexpensive?

Things have been busy/difficult at the Ranch. I'll be really happy when this vacation finally arrives.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Believe it or not, the local Walmart down there may be your best bet. Their sporting goods departments are usually stocked with what the locals use. I'd say you get to SC and hit the Walmart - you can shop for gear while Mrs Gabriel is stocking up on sunscreen and beach hats. A nice big spinning combo can be had for $35-50. The folks there or the local bait shop can recommend the best terminal tackle for the surf.

You can use the new gear as a 'river rod' to go after catfish back home on those hot August nights.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 am

Had some me time on the river last night. First time in 3 weeks, which is a long time for me at this time of the year. Runoff is finally over and most of my fav spots are wadeable. I caught two nice browns with a few smaller rainbows sprinkled in for flavor. I stayed late too. I needed that.

Wednesday, a kayaker found a body in the water new where Mrs FredS's grandparents lodge used to be. It was a 57 year old rafter whose raft broke up a month ago. He wasn't wearing any protective gear. I wonder what a body looks like after being in cold water for a month?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 10717
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Vacation is in one month. The cottage is paid for - on the beach, but across the road. No houses directly between us and the beach, but it still saved me several hundred dollars. Unfortunately none of the shops on the island rent fishing gear. So we either need to take my bass rods, buy some surf fishing gear, or skip the fishing. If I can pick up some serviceable surf salt water gear without breaking my budget for the trip, I might just do that.

Any recommendations for saltwater gear - surf fishing gear that is reliable yet inexpensive?

Things have been busy/difficult at the Ranch. I'll be really happy when this vacation finally arrives.
Fred's advice about Walmart a couple posts up is probably the best bet. Or better still, Academy or equivalent, if there is one close by or if you happen by one on the way. Your cabin is at Edisto, right?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11852
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am
Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Vacation is in one month. The cottage is paid for - on the beach, but across the road. No houses directly between us and the beach, but it still saved me several hundred dollars. Unfortunately none of the shops on the island rent fishing gear. So we either need to take my bass rods, buy some surf fishing gear, or skip the fishing. If I can pick up some serviceable surf salt water gear without breaking my budget for the trip, I might just do that.

Any recommendations for saltwater gear - surf fishing gear that is reliable yet inexpensive?

Things have been busy/difficult at the Ranch. I'll be really happy when this vacation finally arrives.
Fred's advice about Walmart a couple posts up is probably the best bet. Or better still, Academy or equivalent, if there is one close by or if you happen by one on the way. Your cabin is at Edisto, right?
Yes, we're at Edisto, which means there are not a lot of large retailers in the area (which is a good thing of course...). After FredS' comment I looked up Walmart and found there is a big one in Beaufort. As you both know, there is no strait path from one place to another down there. I did find this on amazon:



So... I don't know, maybe? I could use it to fish for big catfish or carp at the local reservoir lakes...

Course, if I'm bringing my own gear I'll need to buy a sand spike of some sort, tackle, etc... Hm. Gonna need to revisit how much of our budget can go to my fishing. :)

I FB messaged back and forth with one of the rent-everything shops there and they did say some areas at the point of the beach had holes and troughs a little closer in. Some folks do fish the surf there without heaving out there too far on 12' rods or whatever. I might borrow a 6'6" medium heavy rod that I have in my office closet here at the Ranch for some close up fishing. It's labeled as being able support weights up to 3/4 oz.

I am getting excited about the opportunity. Just wishing we had a month down there instead of a week.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am
Gabriel wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm
So... it looks like we might be taking a family vacation to coastal SC in either May or August. Looking at Edisto Beach as Mrs Gabriel loves that area. It will be a family vacation, so I won’t be able to spend a lot of money on fishing trips, but I’d love to do some fishing while we’re there.

Sadly, when I lived in SC, I never did take advantage of fishing opportunities so I’m woefully ignorant. Any experienced thoughts on opportunities in that area? Surf fishing? Fly fishing? Can I surf fish with my bass rod?

Dlibbon? Thunk? sweetnsour?
Vacation is in one month. The cottage is paid for - on the beach, but across the road. No houses directly between us and the beach, but it still saved me several hundred dollars. Unfortunately none of the shops on the island rent fishing gear. So we either need to take my bass rods, buy some surf fishing gear, or skip the fishing. If I can pick up some serviceable surf salt water gear without breaking my budget for the trip, I might just do that.

Any recommendations for saltwater gear - surf fishing gear that is reliable yet inexpensive?

Things have been busy/difficult at the Ranch. I'll be really happy when this vacation finally arrives.
Fred's advice about Walmart a couple posts up is probably the best bet. Or better still, Academy or equivalent, if there is one close by or if you happen by one on the way. Your cabin is at Edisto, right?
Yes, we're at Edisto, which means there are not a lot of large retailers in the area (which is a good thing of course...). After FredS' comment I looked up Walmart and found there is a big one in Beaufort. As you both know, there is no strait path from one place to another down there. I did find this on amazon:



So... I don't know, maybe? I could use it to fish for big catfish or carp at the local reservoir lakes...

Course, if I'm bringing my own gear I'll need to buy a sand spike of some sort, tackle, etc... Hm. Gonna need to revisit how much of our budget can go to my fishing. :)

I FB messaged back and forth with one of the rent-everything shops there and they did say some areas at the point of the beach had holes and troughs a little closer in. Some folks do fish the surf there without heaving out there too far on 12' rods or whatever. I might borrow a 6'6" medium heavy rod that I have in my office closet here at the Ranch for some close up fishing. It's labeled as being able support weights up to 3/4 oz.

I am getting excited about the opportunity. Just wishing we had a month down there instead of a week.
Light line fishing in the surf is very popular with certain species of fish. I simply don’t know the Carolina coast to tell you how they do it there. On the west coast a medium weight 7-9 ft rod with 8 LB mono mainline or 15 LB braid is popular with various leader setups. The heavier weight surf rods are reserved for sharks and rays or the few locations where bigger game fish come close enough to cast to.

The other thing to keep in mind about fishing the coast, especially the surf, are the tides. That makes a huge difference. Also the height of the waves relative to the beach you’re fishing. Too high or too low, they won’t bite as much either.

I will be fishing first thing in the morning. I will have about 2.5 hours to fish to hit the tides right that also works around the beach crowds. There’s only so many days all summer that I can fish when the tides are right and the beach isn’t too crowded. Never ever assume that the beach goers have a clue.

The last time I was on the Carolina coast it wasn’t nearly as crowded as the Orange County, CA beaches so that might be easier for you.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:22 pm

The Fonz was spotted in one of Mrs Fred's favorite shops in town the other day. That's Pippa the shop dog getting some love. I s'pect he was here to fish and spent some time in town to placate his wife. You don't make a marriage last 40-some years by ignoring the wife.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11852
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm

It’s been a weird year. Finally got a night with just Mrs Gabriel for a few hours and we were able to hit the river and then go for cheap beer and nachos. She’s the best.

Crazy part is it’s one of the first times all year we’ve waded the river. I took my daughter out this week too, her first time wading all year.

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
ReverendThom
Minister of Murses
Minister of Murses
Posts: 3851
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Caught this lunker today. Haven't been able to fish very much the last 2 summers so this was nice. Image

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 pm

Grandson 1 called this afternoon to tell me about a bass he hooked today. He says it was 10-12" and "it was wiggling all over the place" and broke his line. Then he said it didn't really break the line, it more like he cut it when he swam under the bridge and stretched the line against a piling. He said it was a fun struggle and he learned to put a little more pressure on them if they try to do that again.

I can't tell you how neat it is to see a boy learning these things on his own. He told me it was just he and his friend fishing lures for the first time. They caught a catfish and a smaller bass too, but the one that got away was the biggest.

You know what I like more than my grandson telling me his fish stories? Nothing. Not one damn thing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:47 pm
Grandson 1 called this afternoon to tell me about a bass he hooked today. He says it was 10-12" and "it was wiggling all over the place" and broke his line. Then he said it didn't really break the line, it more like he cut it when he swam under the bridge and stretched the line against a piling. He said it was a fun struggle and he learned to put a little more pressure on them if they try to do that again.

I can't tell you how neat it is to see a boy learning these things on his own. He told me it was just he and his friend fishing lures for the first time. They caught a catfish and a smaller bass too, but the one that got away was the biggest.

You know what I like more than my grandson telling me his fish stories? Nothing. Not one damn thing.
:D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22526
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:05 am

pretty much
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Post Reply