The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 8765
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:19 pm
I finally caught something. It was a mullet.
:thumbsup:

Alright!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake
Posts: 12458
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Formerly Jersey City, World's Greatest City.

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Thoth » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Grabbed the walmart $3 bamboo rod to play around with in the backyard

(the view of my back yard from a rear window, though got rid of the fence this summer and the river has been running about 4-5 feet lower)
Image
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6865
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:46 pm

Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
BeefyG
Usher
Usher
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Re: The fishing thread

Post by BeefyG » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 am

Fainn wrote:Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Make sure you are rinsing your gear off when you get home if you are fishing in saltwater.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6865
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 am

BeefyG wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 am
Fainn wrote:Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Make sure you are rinsing your gear off when you get home if you are fishing in saltwater.
Would that cause a clicking sound?
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6865
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Went to a different pier tonight without any luck. Mary come up and asked how I was doing.
I mistakenly said, "I didn't even get a nipple".
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
BeefyG
Usher
Usher
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Re: The fishing thread

Post by BeefyG » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 am

Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 am
Fainn wrote:Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Make sure you are rinsing your gear off when you get home if you are fishing in saltwater.
Would that cause a clicking sound?
More likely it would cause a grinding noise and feel gritty when reeling in. The baitcast reel may have a switch that will make a clicking sound. The idea is you can cast out and put the pole in a rod holder. The clicking let’s you know when something takes off with the bait. It will make the clicking sound when reeling in if you leave the switch on.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 12618
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:23 am

Thoth wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 pm
Grabbed the walmart $3 bamboo rod to play around with in the backyard

(the view of my back yard from a rear window, though got rid of the fence this summer and the river has been running about 4-5 feet lower)
Image
Can't see your pic. But what river are you on?
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Posts: 6865
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm

No one else had any luck on the pier either.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 12618
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 pm
No one else had any luck on the pier either.
That's why they call it fishing.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24199
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 am

Here's some new-to-me water I've hit up in the last month or so:

Michigan River, North Park CO
Image

Cottonwood Creak in the Collegiate Peaks, west of Buena Vista CO
Image

Arkansas River, looking towards the Sawatch Range near Salida CO
Image

Big Thompson, near Drake CO
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24199
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 am

I fished the Big T(hompson) yesterday afternoon. I don't like fishing it because it's in the canyon leading up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park and it gets a lot of tourist traffic and half-day guided trips, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I found a good looking stretch with an empty pullout so I rigged up and walked down to the river. Ten minutes later a truck pulled in and disgorged two dad's and five boys who walked right down on me. You know how much I like to see kids fishing so I fished on upstream and gave them space. I found a nice pool and was dragging fish after fish out, and when I looked back downstream I saw that a dad and his 12 y.o. boy had noticed and moved right in behind me. Like 20 feet away! As I was landing another fish the boy ran over and said "Hey mister - can we have your fish?" I said no and let it go before moving upriver a few pools.

I'm sure the dad's were bitching about 'snob fly fishermen' as they drove away, just like I was bitching about 'slob fishermen' when I got back to my truck to see what they'd left.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 12618
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 am
I fished the Big T(hompson) yesterday afternoon. I don't like fishing it because it's in the canyon leading up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park and it gets a lot of tourist traffic and half-day guided trips, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I found a good looking stretch with an empty pullout so I rigged up and walked down to the river. Ten minutes later a truck pulled in and disgorged two dad's and five boys who walked right down on me. You know how much I like to see kids fishing so I fished on upstream and gave them space. I found a nice pool and was dragging fish after fish out, and when I looked back downstream I saw that a dad and his 12 y.o. boy had noticed and moved right in behind me. Like 20 feet away! As I was landing another fish the boy ran over and said "Hey mister - can we have your fish?" I said no and let it go before moving upriver a few pools.

I'm sure the dad's were bitching about 'snob fly fishermen' as they drove away, just like I was bitching about 'slob fishermen' when I got back to my truck to see what they'd left.

Image
Someone needs to slap those dad's around and make them pick up the trash with their teeth while their kids watch.

Thanks for the pic of the Arkansas, I really enjoyed fishing it a few years ago.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24199
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:10 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am
Someone needs to slap those dad's around and make them pick up the trash with their teeth while their kids watch.
What sort of fella teaches his kid it's acceptable to litter?




































I suppose the same sort of fella that teaches his kid it's OK to ask another guy if he can have his fish.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24199
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:28 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am
Image

Thanks for the pic of the Arkansas, I really enjoyed fishing it a few years ago.
Let us know if you want to fish it again. You know a few guys in CO who'd be pleased to join you.

It's an interesting deal on the Ark in the 'headwaters area'. They artificially maintain high flows in the summer by releasing water from reservoirs or even diverting it through tunnels from other watersheds to serve the rafters. River running is big business down there. The river is allowed to return to it's lower natural flow at the end of August. This is great for spawning fish and makes for good wade fishing.

My brother and nephew and I were down there two weeks ago. We fished two *hard days and caught two fish.

*"Hard" being a relative term, I use it here to mean we fished a lot, in difficult water, but it's not like we were digging ditches on a chain gang or anything.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 10523
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Nice pics Fred.

It has been an odd summer with all thats going on and then the fires...glad to se you are getting into the flow...so to speak :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy
Posts: 8765
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The fishing thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Nice pics Fred.

It has been an odd summer with all thats going on and then the fires...glad to se you are getting into the flow...so to speak :)
Ditto. Love the pics, Fred.

There are some fantastic feeder streams for the Arkansas up above Buena Vista - some of them are spring creeks.
I’ll try to dig up a photo.

Do you fish up there, Fred?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool
Posts: 24199
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:37 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:26 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:13 pm
Nice pics Fred.

It has been an odd summer with all thats going on and then the fires...glad to se you are getting into the flow...so to speak :)
Ditto. Love the pics, Fred.

There are some fantastic feeder streams for the Arkansas up above Buena Vista - some of them are spring creeks.
I’ll try to dig up a photo.

Do you fish up there, Fred?
Cottonwood Creek (pictured above) flows from the west in to the Ark at Buena Vista. We fished it, but I'd be interested in learning of some others you know of.

I also fished the South Fork Rio Grande between Wolf Creek pass and South Fork. The RG itself was low, slow, and warm while we were there in August, but the South Fork was flowing nicely up higher. I had some success there. Since we're far from our own grand kids, Mrs FredS is everybody's grandma and we met a Hispanic family from Mancos who'd just dropped off their oldest daughter at CSU Pueblo. They were stopped for a picnic and the dad was trying to show his kids a fish he saw from the bridge but they couldn't see it. He guided me to the fish and it took a dry fly on the second cast. You'd have thought it was a 5lb trout by the way he whooped and hollered. "I told you there was a fish there!" It made both our days.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 12096
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Gabriel » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 pm

It was a nice cool Friday afternoon, so I took my woodshop student to the river instead of class today. He didn’t complain. :) The River was super low, but he managed to land this monster on a popper with my son’s super light spinning rod. Good times.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 12618
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The fishing thread

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 pm
It was a nice cool Friday afternoon, so I took my woodshop student to the river instead of class today. He didn’t complain. :) The River was super low, but he managed to land this monster on a popper with my son’s super light spinning rod. Good times.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Gabe, man, that is nothing short of awesome right there.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Post Reply