The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 am
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:40 am
Fainn wrote:Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Make sure you are rinsing your gear off when you get home if you are fishing in saltwater.
Would that cause a clicking sound?
More likely it would cause a grinding noise and feel gritty when reeling in. The baitcast reel may have a switch that will make a clicking sound. The idea is you can cast out and put the pole in a rod holder. The clicking let’s you know when something takes off with the bait. It will make the clicking sound when reeling in if you leave the switch on.
It sounds like a grinding noise. Also, according to Youtube, this doesn't even have a brake on it.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Fainn wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:Got confused and ordered a baitcasting combo instead of a spincast and the reel is stuck after only going out a few times.
Make sure you are rinsing your gear off when you get home if you are fishing in saltwater.
More likely it would cause a grinding noise and feel gritty when reeling in. The baitcast reel may have a switch that will make a clicking sound. The idea is you can cast out and put the pole in a rod holder. The clicking let’s you know when something takes off with the bait. It will make the clicking sound when reeling in if you leave the switch on.
It sounds like a grinding noise. Also, according to Youtube, this doesn't even have a brake on it.
I tried cleaning it. Too hard for someone with difficulty concentrating.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:36 am

Fainn wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:04 pm
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Submerge the reel in a bucket (or whatever container) of fresh water for a day or two. You don't even have to remove the reel from the rod to do this. Slosh it around now and then. Then rinse it off well and let it drain and dry out.
When I frequently wade fished in the surf I would do this when returning home. All of my buddies did the same thing. It gives whatever got in, a chance to get out the same way. Salt, sand, anything. It's good for the line, too.

What brand and model reel do you have? Next time you want to look at rods and reels, go to the pawn shops in your area to see what's there. In my younger-family-child-raising days I was on first name basis with a couple of pawn shops, and would let them know what to watch for, (outdoor equipment, but tools mostly) and they'd call me and would give me good deals. I never knew if they liked me or just felt sorry for me.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:36 am
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Submerge the reel in a bucket (or whatever container) of fresh water for a day or two. You don't even have to remove the reel from the rod to do this. Slosh it around now and then. Then rinse it off well and let it drain and dry out.
When I frequently wade fished in the surf I would do this when returning home. All of my buddies did the same thing. It gives whatever got in, a chance to get out the same way. Salt, sand, anything. It's good for the line, too.

What brand and model reel do you have? Next time you want to look at rods and reels, go to the pawn shops in your area to see what's there. In my younger-family-child-raising days I was on first name basis with a couple of pawn shops, and would let them know what to watch for, (outdoor equipment, but tools mostly) and they'd call me and would give me good deals. I never knew if they liked me or just felt sorry for me.

I didn't have a problem until the line got caught in the drag wheel. I removed it, but the clicking and reel retrieve problems started immediately after. I have Shakespeare big game combo. According to Youtube, it doesn't even have an adjustable brake.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:26 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:01 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:53 pm
It was a nice cool Friday afternoon, so I took my woodshop student to the river instead of class today. He didn’t complain. :) The River was super low, but he managed to land this monster on a popper with my son’s super light spinning rod. Good times.

Gabe, man, that is nothing short of awesome right there.
Working with these guys is sometimes very challenging, but it’s rarely ever like “going to work.” This young man doesn’t have a man in his life, we’re all doing our best show him how be one for his kids someday.
Sola Deo Gloria

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:

I didn't have a problem until the line got caught in the drag wheel. I removed it, but the clicking and reel retrieve problems started immediately after. I have Shakespeare big game combo. According to Youtube, it doesn't even have an adjustable brake.
This one?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shakespe ... gK0avD_BwE

If so then no those types typically don't have brakes, just the drag. It's not mentioned in the specs but like someone already mentioned it likely has a clicker function. If so, and the reel reels in fine but makes a clicking sound, and does not cast well, then just locate the button or other device and turn the clicker off, and you're back in business.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:30 am
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:

This one?

If so then no those types typically don't have brakes, just the drag. It's not mentioned in the specs but like someone already mentioned it likely has a clicker function. If so, and the reel reels in fine but makes a clicking sound, and does not cast well, then just locate the button or other device and turn the clicker off, and you're back in business.
Thats the one. I have spent 5 hours trying to locate the clicker function without any luck. I can't find anything on the internet either about this model.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:45 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:

This one?

Thats the one. I have spent 5 hours trying to locate the clicker function without any luck. I can't find anything on the internet either about this model.
Finally. The button isn't pushed, but slides.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:46 pm

Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:

This one?

It still wouldn't cast though. Maybe when I can get a spincast a few years down the road.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:11 am

Fainn wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:46 pm
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Fainn wrote:
BeefyG wrote:
Fainn wrote: Would that cause a clicking sound?

This one?

It still wouldn't cast though. Maybe when I can get a spincast a few years down the road.
Back off of the drag a little, or maybe turn it off if the drag is set. That's not really a great casting reel anyway, but you can still fish with it from a pier.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:58 pm

Would a braided line be less likely to tangle?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:49 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:58 pm
Would a braided line be less likely to tangle?
Dunno. I've never used braided line. A spool of Trilene Big Game is inexpensive. Keep it washed in fresh water, cut off the curled or damaged ends, and respool with new line when the volume on the reel gets low. I pretty much stay with 12 lb.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:26 am

You're making a difference Gabriel.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Fishing before a hurricane does not improve your chances.
Matrix dockside shad does not work at any location, for any fish, under any circumstances.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 am

Fainn wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:35 pm
Matrix dockside shad does not work at any location, for any fish, under any circumstances.
Dang man. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who's hoping you find a little joy in fishing. A little relief from the day-to-day struggles we all face.

Do you at least enjoy the process? Do you get even a little excited about getting out of the house, planning where to go, stashing a candy bar in your pocket to snack on when you get there, planning what lure/bait you'll use, gathering your gear, thinking about what you might catch? I hate getting skunked as much as anyone but I enjoy all the other parts of the game anyway. Keep at it with a positive outlook and I promise it'll all click one day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 am

I got some waterprroof glow paint to try on the lures.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 am
Fainn wrote:
Dang man. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who's hoping you find a little joy in fishing. A little relief from the day-to-day struggles we all face.

Do you at least enjoy the process? Do you get even a little excited about getting out of the house, planning where to go, stashing a candy bar in your pocket to snack on when you get there, planning what lure/bait you'll use, gathering your gear, thinking about what you might catch? I hate getting skunked as much as anyone but I enjoy all the other parts of the game anyway. Keep at it with a positive outlook and I promise it'll all click one day.
There may have been too much beach traffic this week with Crusin' the Coast.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am

FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:

I almost enjoyed catching bait more than the fishing as a kid. Dad was a bait and tackle guy for salt water, and strictly lures or flies for fresh water. I'm guessing I was in my 20s when I caught my first saltwater fish on an artificial bait. Sometimes the fish win. Sometimes the golf course wins. Sometimes the birds win, and sometimes the ducks and geese. But I win every time, always, regardless.

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am
FredS wrote:
Fainn wrote:

I almost enjoyed catching bait more than the fishing as a kid. Dad was a bait and tackle guy for salt water, and strictly lures or flies for fresh water. I'm guessing I was in my 20s when I caught my first saltwater fish on an artificial bait. Sometimes the fish win. Sometimes the golf course wins. Sometimes the birds win, and sometimes the ducks and geese. But I win every time, always, regardless.
a bad day fishing is better than a good day working

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:59 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am
a bad day fishing is better than a good day working
Just kidding. There's no such thing as a bad day fishing.