The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Re: The fishing thread

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:57 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:59 am
FredS wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:57 am
a bad day fishing is better than a good day working
Just kidding. There's no such thing as a bad day fishing.
It's really hard living off $76 and unemployment each week
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:57 pm
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Would you be willing to share with us precisely which waters you’re fishing? What species are you fishing for and so on. There’s so much more to catching fish than the tackle used. Maybe we can help if we know more. I can usually catch fish in new waters because I know what to look for and how to find it. I also know when not to bother if catching fish is important. Sometimes I go fishing knowing full well that catching will be slow to non existent, but I go anyway for other reasons. I may not be able to help, but I’m in the dark. All I know is that you’re feeling frustrated right now.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:56 pm
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Would you be willing to share with us precisely which waters you’re fishing? What species are you fishing for and so on. There’s so much more to catching fish than the tackle used. Maybe we can help if we know more. I can usually catch fish in new waters because I know what to look for and how to find it. I also know when not to bother if catching fish is important. Sometimes I go fishing knowing full well that catching will be slow to non existent, but I go anyway for other reasons. I may not be able to help, but I’m in the dark. All I know is that you’re feeling frustrated right now.
I would like Flounder or Red Drum. I have had many mullet bites with Storm glow shrimp. I have heard people recommend a popping cork, but I have never used one. Or what to look for.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
I would like Flounder or Red Drum. I have had many mullet bites with Storm glow shrimp. I have heard people recommend a popping cork, but I have never used one. Or what to look for.
The return address on the box pass you sent - that's the correct address for you? If so, I'll send you some tackle, and information.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 pm

Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gulp lures under a popping cork are my go to when I want to catch something. I’ll also point out some of my best catches have been when I was clearing a birds nest out of my line. Go slow so the fish have time to get interested in the bait.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:26 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gulp lures under a popping cork are my go to when I want to catch something. I’ll also point out some of my best catches have been when I was clearing a birds nest out of my line. Go slow so the fish have time to get interested in the bait.
Do you mean the white Gulp shad? I haven't found them anywhere local. Or glowing bucktails.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:44 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
The return address on the box pass you sent - that's the correct address for you? If so, I'll send you some tackle, and information.
Yes.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:44 am

Honestly I haven’t fished in a while. I think I used the Gulp ripple mullets and shrimp. I would also change the color depending on the water. It may seem backwards but I would either use a glow lure or a dark purple lure at night. The only light the fish get comes from above so they will strike on a dark silhouette. Think of it like putting your hand in front of your face in a dark room. You can’t see your hand but you can see the outline. If you are fishing at a light, try casting beyond the light. The bigger fish sometimes hang out at the edge to ambush smaller fish that come to feed. Same goes for if you see the water change color. Fish the transition. Hope this helps a little bit.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am

Fainn wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Yes.
I'll send some items after this storm goes past us.

Btw, you've mentioned mullet a few times. Mullet in the Gulf are a bait fish and typically aren't caught via hook and line, excepting a time or two when I've foul hooked one somehow. They're excellent bait for redfish, cut up into chunks, placed on a hook and fished on bottom. Frozen mullet are cheap and plenty available.
I'm thinking perhaps you've caught croaker or whiting, or sand trout maybe, and referred to them as mullet? Google these fish, and read your regs there. All of these except mullet are easily caught using dead shrimp as bait. A pound of frozen bait shrimp shouldn't cost more than $6-7. I wouldn't bother with Gulp or any other lures with your rig. You've got a bait and tackle rig, if bank fishing.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:45 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Yes.

Btw, you've mentioned mullet a few times. Mullet in the Gulf are a bait fish and typically aren't caught via hook and line, excepting a time or two when I've foul hooked one somehow. They're excellent bait for redfish, cut up into chunks, placed on a hook and fished on bottom. Frozen mullet are cheap and plenty available.
I'm thinking perhaps you've caught croaker or whiting, or sand trout maybe, and referred to them as mullet? Google these fish, and read your regs there. All of these except mullet are easily caught using dead shrimp as bait. A pound of frozen bait shrimp shouldn't cost more than $6-7. I wouldn't bother with Gulp or any other lures with your rig. You've got a bait and tackle rig, if bank fishing.
I googled images. Whiting seems closer. Do they jump out of water too? The baitcaster is my sh** stick. I also have a spinning combo.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Fainn wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:45 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:46 am
Fainn wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Fainn wrote:
FredS wrote:
FredS wrote:
Yes.

I googled images. Whiting seems closer. Do they jump out of water too? The baitcaster is my sh** stick. I also have a spinning combo.
The 7 ft medium heavy rod here.

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 pm

When they asked why I applied, I almost said, "to support my fishing habit".

FredS
He's Cargo Short Cool
He's Cargo Short Cool

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 am

Fainn wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 pm
I packed up my wife and moved to a different state to support my fishing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 am
Fainn wrote:
I support you in this. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 pm

I had several good bites, but I need to change the hook size. I also had the pleasure of viewing a giant penis someone drew in the sand

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:35 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:29 am
Fainn wrote:
I support you in this. :D
It makes perfect sense to me.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Fainn wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:01 pm
I had several good bites, but I need to change the hook size.
:D

Anglers learn.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Been getting out to my river a little more lately, I just can’t resist Fall fishing:

Sunrise with my daughter last week.

Mrs Gabriel last Saturday.

A little slice of perfection, even if the fishing has been slow.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 pm
Been getting out to my river a little more lately, I just can’t resist Fall fishing:

Sunrise with my daughter last week.

Mrs Gabriel last Saturday.

A little slice of perfection, even if the fishing has been slow.
Beautiful, Gabe.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:54 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:17 pm
This my buddy, Redgy. He's been my neighbor for a couple of years after growing up in the Bronx. We were talking the other day and I found out he's never been fishing.

Never. Been. Fishing.

We fixed that today. We didn't catch anything, but he did get a nice one to the bank before losing it. He'll soon be heading back to New York and least he's got a fish story to take with him.

I just got word that my buddy Redgy died recently. We only got to fish a couple of times, but man we had good fun.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy