The fishing thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Re: The fishing thread

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:47 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:20 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 pm
What saltwater fish looks and moves like a tadpole?
an eel
Like a baby eel?
Gulf toad fish perhaps. We call them dog fish, and they're common on the gulf coast.
https://www.whatsthatfish.com/fish/gulf-toadfish/2138

I was also thinking maybe some sort of grunt, but those are offshore fish.
The cool thing about salt is you never know what sort of creature you're likely to drag in unless you're using some sort of very specialized rig. Even then there's no guarantee some interloper won't be caught by mistake.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:22 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:20 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:37 pm
FredS wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm
Fainn wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 pm
What saltwater fish looks and moves like a tadpole?
an eel
Like a baby eel?
Gulf toad fish perhaps. We call them dog fish, and they're common on the gulf coast.
https://www.whatsthatfish.com/fish/gulf-toadfish/2138

I was also thinking maybe some sort of grunt, but those are offshore fish.
Toadfish is it!
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:35 pm

When I was living in apartment in Va, I ended up with a "go bag" from an old cheap large nylon piece of luggage/duffel/sports bag.
It holds fly rod in case, vest with full pockets, net, wading boots, waders, towel, etc; it is about 18" wide, 10-12" tall and about 3' long with a long shoulder strap. I could grab it and be in the truck headed for the creek with all I needed quickly before or after work.

FF a few years and I hardly ever fly fish, and I store my gear in that same bag, but the bag has no real home so it gets moved from place to place around the house.

I am looking for a rigid or semi-rigid case, along the lines of a fly fishing travel case, but large enough to hold all these things. The idea is to be able to stand the case up in a corner. I have a gift certificate from Bass Pro/Cabelas but no luck on their web page so far. Many of the cases seem large enough to do the trick, but are compartmentalized such to prevent much storage other than multiple rods.

I once borrowed a protective golf bag for air travel for a trip (basically a hard shell that enclosed around a golf bag). A hybrid between this, a double gun case and a fly rod case would do the trick.

Any of you know of a company that makes such a product? Any of you repurposed some other type of tool or travel case for similar purpose?
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:35 pm
When I was living in apartment in Va, I ended up with a "go bag" from an old cheap large nylon piece of luggage/duffel/sports bag.
It holds fly rod in case, vest with full pockets, net, wading boots, waders, towel, etc; it is about 18" wide, 10-12" tall and about 3' long with a long shoulder strap. I could grab it and be in the truck headed for the creek with all I needed quickly before or after work.

FF a few years and I hardly ever fly fish, and I store my gear in that same bag, but the bag has no real home so it gets moved from place to place around the house.

I am looking for a rigid or semi-rigid case, along the lines of a fly fishing travel case, but large enough to hold all these things. The idea is to be able to stand the case up in a corner. I have a gift certificate from Bass Pro/Cabelas but no luck on their web page so far. Many of the cases seem large enough to do the trick, but are compartmentalized such to prevent much storage other than multiple rods.

I once borrowed a protective golf bag for air travel for a trip (basically a hard shell that enclosed around a golf bag). A hybrid between this, a double gun case and a fly rod case would do the trick.

Any of you know of a company that makes such a product? Any of you repurposed some other type of tool or travel case for similar purpose?
A buddy of mine who was also a co-worker used to use ice chests for everything. Storage, luggage, whatever. I still remember him packing a large ice chest, that had wheels, full of files, and then leave for the airport walking down a sidewalk with the ice chest in tow.
Here's something similar at Sportsman Warehouse.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear ... /p/1395593

Btw shop Sportsman Warehouse while you can, before Bass Pro buys it out and renders it useless like they did to Cabela's.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 am

Fishpond and Orvis make some nice wheeled duffel bags but they're not hard-shelled. You could go the exact opposite of S&S's friend and get a large hard-sided rolling suitcase.
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm
Btw shop Sportsman Warehouse while you can, before Bass Pro buys it out and renders it useless like they did to Cabela's.
Amen. I loved Cabela's forever. We used to stop at the original store in downtown Sydney, NE once or twice a year. I don't like hate Bass Pro, primarily I suppose, because all the redneck women in Missouri wear pink camo Bass Pro hats and take their kids to Bass Pro for "summer camp" so they can fish in a literal stock tank. Seriously, they do that. My boss gave me a BP gift card for my birthday a few months ago so I bought some Simms wading boots online from BP. The card could also be used at Cabela's so I shopped there too. Their websites are exactly the same, with the exact same products, exact same prices, and exact same inventory systems because both places were out of stock of the exact same things. Won't be long 'till they go ahead and merge it all in one.

There are two Sportsman Warehouses within 35 miles of me now so they get all my business that can't be done at the local fly shops.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:13 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 am
Fishpond and Orvis make some nice wheeled duffel bags but they're not hard-shelled. You could go the exact opposite of S&S's friend and get a large hard-sided rolling suitcase.
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:20 pm
Amen. I loved Cabela's forever. We used to stop at the original store in downtown Sydney, NE once or twice a year. I don't like hate Bass Pro, primarily I suppose, because all the redneck women in Missouri wear pink camo Bass Pro hats and take their kids to Bass Pro for "summer camp" so they can fish in a literal stock tank. Seriously, they do that. My boss gave me a BP gift card for my birthday a few months ago so I bought some Simms wading boots online from BP. The card could also be used at Cabela's so I shopped there too. Their websites are exactly the same, with the exact same products, exact same prices, and exact same inventory systems because both places were out of stock of the exact same things. Won't be long 'till they go ahead and merge it all in one.

There are two Sportsman Warehouses within 35 miles of me now so they get all my business that can't be done at the local fly shops.
I wore Cabela's khakis and jeans for 20+ years about exclusively. Imported, but Cabela's seemed to be careful about what they slapped their name upon.
Somewhere I have a molded plastic gun case that would nearly/barely hold two shotguns (Doskocil?). I recall it being about 8"x8"x~5'--wondering if wading boots would fit if foam removed. Net probably wouldn't tho.🤔
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 am

Yer waders and boots would surely fit in this

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:29 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 am
Cool! Virtually theft proof too. And easy to find accessories.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:39 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:29 am
FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 am
Cool! Virtually theft proof too. And easy to find accessories.
+1 Spray a little camo touch-up on the corners and you'll have the redneck woman look that Fred was talking about.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 am

An interesting but sad read. To fish for, and catch, a wild salmon is on my bucket list, and pretty high up.

Btw, if it's in the copied link, take a look at the ad for Bay Flats Lodge in Seadrift TX. I wonder where the accompanying photo was taken, with what appears to be a rocky hill or mountain background, wooden looking crab or lobster traps, and overall northwestern look.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/clim ... 2acf99b7a3

G. K. Chesterton

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am

JudgeRusty wrote:

Judge I think I have found what you are looking for,

https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-i ... ishing-kit

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am
JudgeRusty wrote:

I’d love to know if they actually sold any of those.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:00 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:48 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:40 am
JudgeRusty wrote:

I’d love to know if they actually sold any of those.
CPS--your home for quality advice and solutions to everyday problems.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 am
An interesting but sad read. To fish for, and catch, a wild salmon is on my bucket list, and pretty high up.

Btw, if it's in the copied link, take a look at the ad for Bay Flats Lodge in Seadrift TX. I wonder where the accompanying photo was taken, with what appears to be a rocky hill or mountain background, wooden looking crab or lobster traps, and overall northwestern look.

All too true, Tim.

I used to go up to BC, mostly for steelhead, pretty regularly in 80s and 90s but caught some salmon, too.
Fishermen up there now refers to those as the good old days.

Friends who still go there for steelhead sometimes report week long trips in the once prolific Skeena system (Skeena, Kispiox, Babine, Bulkley ...) where they hook a fish or two. When I was fishing the Babine, it was a rare day without at least one steelhead for every angler at the lodge and usually several steelhead each day.

Steelhead in BC have been hard hit.

Washington, Oregon and Idaho steelhead runs are a shadow of their former selves.
California steelhead, practically nonexistent.

Although I’ve never fished Alaska, I understand the salmon fishing there is still quite good.
You might want to go farther north than the US Northwest, and go sooner rather than later.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 am

All too true, Tim.

I used to go up to BC, mostly for steelhead, pretty regularly in 80s and 90s but caught some salmon, too.
Fishermen up there now refers to those as the good old days.

Friends who still go there for steelhead sometimes report week long trips in the once prolific Skeena system (Skeena, Kispiox, Babine, Bulkley ...) where they hook a fish or two. When I was fishing the Babine, it was a rare day without at least one steelhead for every angler at the lodge and usually several steelhead each day.

Steelhead in BC have been hard hit.

Washington, Oregon and Idaho steelhead runs are a shadow of their former selves.
California steelhead, practically nonexistent.

Although I’ve never fished Alaska, I understand the salmon fishing there is still quite good.
You might want to go farther north than the US Northwest, and go sooner rather than later.
I agree, it's looking like Alaska, and sooner rather than later.

G. K. Chesterton

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm

The water has been painfully low the last two times. Like 1.5 feet the entire length of the 1000 ft pier.
Seminary maketh a dull pastor.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:52 am

Fainn wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm
The water has been painfully low the last two times. Like 1.5 feet the entire length of the 1000 ft pier.
Low tides and north winds expose sand bars, channels, oyster reefs, etc. Go and take note of the locations for future reference. And if legal, maybe harvest a few oysters for the frying pan.

G. K. Chesterton

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm

Bad news - I broke a fly rod
Good news - Redington will replace the busted section for $58
Bad news - they no longer make that model and can't fix it
Good news - they refunded the $58 and gave me a coupon for 50% an entire order from their website, up to $750
Bad news - they don't have a single 5wt, 9' rod in stock in any of the five models I'd use

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm
Good news - they refunded the $58 and gave me a coupon for 50% an entire order from their website, up to $750
Bad news - they don't have a single 5wt, 9' rod in stock in any of the five models I'd use
What a roller coaster!

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:45 pm
What a roller coaster!
I am sad to hear this...I feel your pain...I have been trying to locate a tip section for the Fenwick I broke at the Tomahawk...Having about the same luck as you
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD