Booze in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Re: Booze in the News

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:38 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:21 pm
+JMJ+

Reckon what's up with this? I thought Scotch business was doing well; understood they couldn't keep up with hipster and new-money demand. Glenlivet trying to brand themselves into a new market? -for who?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:38 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:38 pm
wosbald wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:21 pm
+JMJ+

Reckon what's up with this? I thought Scotch business was doing well; understood they couldn't keep up with hipster and new-money demand. Glenlivet trying to brand themselves into a new market? -for who?
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
I imagine all the Decision Makers were in the Decision Making Room trying to come up with ways to reach the millennials:

Glenlivet Exec: Alright laddies, we needa come up w' a way t' rech the yoonger market. What's the script?

Jr. Exec: Well, they like t' eat Tide Pods.

[outburst of laughter withering into a contemplative silence...]
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:52 am

^That's funny, right there.^
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

huddsbaggie
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by huddsbaggie » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm

shUt up all of ypou.

I know stuff. See?
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:36 am

huddsbaggie wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:22 pm
shUt up all of ypou.

I know stuff. See?
If you, huddsy, gave me a whisky tide pod, I'd eat it.

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

huddsbaggie

Post by huddsbaggie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 am

I have eaten a Tide pod. More soapy than a Lakeland baccy.
"All I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football"
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 am

huddsbaggie wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:49 am
I have eaten a Tide pod. More soapy than a Lakeland baccy.
It's about time. That mouth needed a good wash.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:44 am

+JMJ+

How the Jesuits of ‘America’ heroically defended booze against Prohibition [In-Depth]

The end of a liquor raid, Oct. 14, 1922. (Library of Congress/Wikimedia Commons)

By the time the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution went into effect in January 1920, prohibiting the manufacture, transport or sale of alcoholic beverages throughout the United States, 33 state legislatures out of 48 had taken it upon themselves to enact their own laws banning alcohol. Temperance societies and the Anti-Saloon League enjoyed significant influence in political institutions across the nation. While Prohibition’s popularity would wane by the end of the decade because of its unintended consequences — greater lawlessness, violence and widespread bootlegging — at the time of its ratification and implementation, it enjoyed a fair amount of popular support.

Except in the pages of America.

While Prohibition’s popularity would wane by the end of the decade, at the time of its ratification and implementation, it enjoyed a fair amount of popular support.

In the state of Virginia, wrote the editors (all Jesuit priests and brothers at the time) in an April 1919 editorial, “a small army of detectives and ‘stool pigeons’” existed whose enforcement of that state’s Prohibition ordinance constituted “a menace to the peace and welfare of the community, immeasurably greater than the disorderly conduct of a mob of drunkards.”

The editors were just getting started. A paragraph later, they added:
If the citizens of Virginia, or of any other State, put the machinery of government into the hands of fanatics, who care nothing either for good government or for religion, provided they continue to draw a munificent salary in the propagation of Mohammedan tenets, these same good citizens have only themselves to blame.
A month later, they editorialized that Prohibition should be enforced equally against “the barons of wealth” as it would be against “the street-cleaner,” noting that “[t]he rich are ‘stocking up,’ and will suffer no want; but after his day of exhausting labor, the poor man may not have so much as a single glass of harmless, necessary beer.” And had the U.S. Senate vote on the 18th Amendment been taken by secret ballot, the editors argued later that year, it would have met with certain defeat — as some of the same senators who argued most vociferously in favor of Prohibition were noted partakers of liquor.

”After his day of exhausting labor, the poor man may not have so much as a single glass of harmless, necessary beer.”

[…]

A Plot Against Catholics?

A more novel accusation appeared in an editorial published in August 1919, “Federal Prohibition and the Mass,” suggesting a certain anti-Catholic bias in the technical language used to enforce Prohibition. Would the government try to ban the use of sacramental wine? Such “wearisome and difficult technicalities may satisfy some of our Prohibitionist brethren of the milder variety,” wrote the editors. “To others, however, they seem to mark the beginning of the era in which the celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass can be made to depend on the favor of an internal revenue officer.” If it were to come down to “a choice between Prohibition and the Mass,” they warned, “it is not the Mass that will be protected.”

The magazine returned to the theme two years later:
The Eighteenth Amendment has already destroyed a right reserved under the Constitution to the respective States. It has destroyed the right of the physician to prescribe what he deems best for his patient. In many parts of the country it has destroyed the right guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment. The next extension will be to destroy the Mass.
In 1925, the editors denounced the Anti-Saloon League and accused it of openly plotting against Catholics, sarcastically calling them “the good people who live in dread of the day when the Holy Father will order all Catholic Americans to capture the White House or the Washington Monument, or, if nothing better offers, even Congress.” The next year, they approvingly quoted Cardinal William Henry O’Connell, the archbishop of Boston: “Compulsory universal prohibition is a different thing, for compulsory prohibition, in general, is flatly opposed to Holy Scripture and Catholic tradition.”

The editors added: “We are not troubled by the accusation that we head the list of the brewers’ beneficiaries. The sole interest of this Review is to assert Catholic and constitutional principles, in the hope that peace and good order may be secured through the practice of temperance in all things.”

[…]

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am

Why is it when the Jesuits are involved there's always talk of plots and anti-plots?

:lol:

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 am

tuttle wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am
Why is it when the Jesuits are involved there's always talk of plots and anti-plots?

And booze!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:35 am
tuttle wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am

And booze!
Well, the charitable interpretation is it's all just drunk talk...I'd prefer to think Wosbald is just on one hell of a bender. :lol:
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm just glad I got to see the bit about huddsbaggie and Tide Pods.

That even got Mrs. Del to laugh out loud, and that's saying sumthin right there.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am

"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well..." - Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

I don't know what order the Capuchin Brothers are/were, but I think I'd like to hang out with them.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am
"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well..." - Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

I don't know what order the Capuchin Brothers are/were, but I think I'd like to hang out with them.
Quite. Capuchin still exist. Brown robe, white belt. Fun fact:cappuccino is named after them. Brown coffee, white milk. Capuchin monkeys, too. That's how ubiquitous the habit once was.

They are an order of Franciscans. Delightful people, full of life and fun and charity. You'd love them.

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 am
FredS wrote:

Quite. Capuchin still exist. Brown robe, white belt. Fun fact:cappuccino is named after them. Brown coffee, white milk. Capuchin monkeys, too. That's how ubiquitous the habit once was.

They are an order of Franciscans. Delightful people, full of life and fun and charity. You'd love them.
You really would! They have beards.

Here's Padre Pio -- mid 20th century. Many wonders and miracles. Bore the marks of Christ on his body.

REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Speaking of Italian wonders -- I just bought of bottle of Campari liqueur. profoundly bitter (think grapefruit peel).

Wonderful in a Negroni cocktail:

1 oz gin
1 oz Campari
1 oz sweet vermouth

Serve over ice with a twist of orange peel.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 pm
Speaking of Italian wonders -- I just bought of bottle of Campari liqueur. profoundly bitter (think grapefruit peel).
Ever try Chartruese liqueur from Carthusian Monks in France? The green stuff is straight up horrid. Never tried the yellow.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

That's interesting info P.

Every monk I've ever spent more than a minute or two with has seemed "full of life and fun and charity". They're not completely unencumbered by the world of course, but they seem to not take the niggling things as seriously as most of the rest of us do. Except Abbot Neenan at Conception Abbey in northern MO. He's a nice enough guy but not someone to be pals with. Of course I've never seen him on his own, away from the Monks he's charged with.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

Every monk I've ever spent more than a minute or two with has seemed "full of life and fun and charity". They're not completely unencumbered by the world of course, but they seem to not take the niggling things as seriously as most of the rest of us do. Except Abbot Neenan at Conception Abbey in northern MO. He's a nice enough guy but not someone to be pals with. Of course I've never seen him on his own, away from the Monks he's charged with.
Good point. Franciscans I find particularly joyous, however. Might just be that they suit my personality type. Lot of non judging love from those folk. I wanted to be one, once. A wise novice master realized otherwise.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:40 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

Good point. Franciscans I find particularly joyous, however. Might just be that they suit my personality type. Lot of non judging love from those folk. I wanted to be one, once. A wise novice master realized otherwise.
Yeah, those guys are good at separating the wheat from the chaff. Not that there's anything wrong with the chaff, mind you.