Booze in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Re: Booze in the News

Post by hugodrax » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:00 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:33 am
"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well..." - Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

I don't know what order the Capuchin Brothers are/were, but I think I'd like to hang out with them.
Quite. Capuchin still exist. Brown robe, white belt. Fun fact:cappuccino is named after them. Brown coffee, white milk. Capuchin monkeys, too. That's how ubiquitous the habit once was.

They are an order of Franciscans. Delightful people, full of life and fun and charity. You'd love them.
That's interesting info P.

Every monk I've ever spent more than a minute or two with has seemed "full of life and fun and charity". They're not completely unencumbered by the world of course, but they seem to not take the niggling things as seriously as most of the rest of us do. Except Abbot Neenan at Conception Abbey in northern MO. He's a nice enough guy but not someone to be pals with. Of course I've never seen him on his own, away from the Monks he's charged with.
Good point. Franciscans I find particularly joyous, however. Might just be that they suit my personality type. Lot of non judging love from those folk. I wanted to be one, once. A wise novice master realized otherwise.
Yeah, those guys are good at separating the wheat from the chaff. Not that there's anything wrong with the chaff, mind you.
Not at all. Took a long time to figure it out, though. Kind of a blow to the ego at first, which looking back on it is exactly the sign I'd have made a terrible monk. Those who are not cut out for holy poverty may still aspire to holiness.

'Course, I stink at that too.

Now I'm depressed. :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:38 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:00 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well..." - Brother Epp, Capuchin monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

I don't know what order the Capuchin Brothers are/were, but I think I'd like to hang out with them.
Quite. Capuchin still exist. Brown robe, white belt. Fun fact:cappuccino is named after them. Brown coffee, white milk. Capuchin monkeys, too. That's how ubiquitous the habit once was.

They are an order of Franciscans. Delightful people, full of life and fun and charity. You'd love them.

Every monk I've ever spent more than a minute or two with has seemed "full of life and fun and charity". They're not completely unencumbered by the world of course, but they seem to not take the niggling things as seriously as most of the rest of us do. Except Abbot Neenan at Conception Abbey in northern MO. He's a nice enough guy but not someone to be pals with. Of course I've never seen him on his own, away from the Monks he's charged with.
Good point. Franciscans I find particularly joyous, however. Might just be that they suit my personality type. Lot of non judging love from those folk. I wanted to be one, once. A wise novice master realized otherwise.
Yeah, those guys are good at separating the wheat from the chaff. Not that there's anything wrong with the chaff, mind you.
Not at all. Took a long time to figure it out, though. Kind of a blow to the ego at first, which looking back on it is exactly the sign I'd have made a terrible monk. Those who are not cut out for holy poverty may still aspire to holiness.

One time, while I was on a 'silent' retreat at a Benedictine Abby - that also serves as a seminary - I was smoking a pipe on a bench overlooking the apple orchard and a seminarian came over and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and asked if he could sit with me. I could tell the kid wanted more than a smoke, else he'd have sat on the next bench, so I said sure. Turns out he'd been meeting with the novice master and had just about decided to leave the seminary. He wanted to be a police detective in Austin, TX. He had it all planned out - what university to attend, what his job progression would be through the force, how long it should take, even what part of town he wanted to rent an apartment in. The novice master was in agreement that that would be a better path, but this kid was terrified to let down his parents. He couldn't even talk about it with his peers for fear they'd rat on him for having second thoughts. I didn't offer advice of course, just listened and asked a few questions. Finally he let out a big sigh, stood up, told me his name, then shook my hand and left. He never did light a cigarette.

I can only imagine how hard it must be on a young man who's sort of groomed himself to be a monk or priest - it's not an idea that just comes on you at age 18 - only to find it's not going to be his vocation after all. And of course the idea of letting down ones family and even the parish that's supported him must be difficult. I think we have a mutual friend who's son made that difficult decision.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Budweiser maker to buy Kona Brewing and more craft beers for a discount

The big dogs are buying up all the craft breweries. The horizon is changing. Expect to see an explosion of new craft breweries or mega death. I noticed this week that Anhueser has been able to put a 16pk of Goose Island IPA (5.9% ABV) on the shelf for $14.99. That is going to be a punch in the face to small breweries who can offer an almost identical beer at a whopping $10 a 6pk.

If you buy stocks, look for stocks that support alliances of small breweries like the one InBev just bought. Everyone who had stock in Craft Brew just doubled their portfolio and this is just the beginning of the competition.

[EDIT] If you are a home brewer, perch like a vulture outside the microbreweries getting rid of all that stainless equipment.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:38 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:00 pm
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
FredS wrote:

One time, while I was on a 'silent' retreat at a Benedictine Abby - that also serves as a seminary - I was smoking a pipe on a bench overlooking the apple orchard and a seminarian came over and pulled out a pack of cigarettes and asked if he could sit with me. I could tell the kid wanted more than a smoke, else he'd have sat on the next bench, so I said sure. Turns out he'd been meeting with the novice master and had just about decided to leave the seminary. He wanted to be a police detective in Austin, TX. He had it all planned out - what university to attend, what his job progression would be through the force, how long it should take, even what part of town he wanted to rent an apartment in. The novice master was in agreement that that would be a better path, but this kid was terrified to let down his parents. He couldn't even talk about it with his peers for fear they'd rat on him for having second thoughts. I didn't offer advice of course, just listened and asked a few questions. Finally he let out a big sigh, stood up, told me his name, then shook my hand and left. He never did light a cigarette.

I can only imagine how hard it must be on a young man who's sort of groomed himself to be a monk or priest - it's not an idea that just comes on you at age 18 - only to find it's not going to be his vocation after all. And of course the idea of letting down ones family and even the parish that's supported him must be difficult. I think we have a mutual friend who's son made that difficult decision.
yes. Pipeson "discerned out" of seminary five years ago, but he still hasn't fully left that behind.... or fully set his sights on going forward.

It's a lot like losing a spouse to death or divorce.... and not being able to let go or move on.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Soooooo, how 'bout that green Chartruese liqueur from the Carthusian Monks in France? Ever tried it?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm
Soooooo, how 'bout that green Chartruese liqueur from the Carthusian Monks in France? Ever tried it?
It has a storied history, worthy of this newsy thread -- that's for sure!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartreus ... r)#History

Carthusians are perhaps the "most silent" of all of the orders of monks -- even more so than Trappists.

There are only two monks who know the secret recipe... and they aren't talking.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:16 pm
FredS wrote:

Carthusians are perhaps the "most silent" of all of the orders of monks -- even more so than Trappists.

When he shared the foul stuff with me, my Pastor, and friend, told me of a documentary movie about these Carthusian monks of the French Alps called Into Great Silence. In 1984, the filmmaker asked if he might make a movie about them and they said they would think it over and get back to him. Sixteen years later they called and said "Sure, come on over".

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:48 pm
Del wrote:
FredS wrote:

When he shared the foul stuff with me, my Pastor, and friend, told me of a documentary movie about these Carthusian monks of the French Alps called Into Great Silence. In 1984, the filmmaker asked if he might make a movie about them and they said they would think it over and get back to him. Sixteen years later they called and said "Sure, come on over".
That is exactly how it went down. :lol: Great movie documentary, all the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Great_Silence

Fun fact: The Carthusian Order was founded by our very own beloved St. Bruno.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Del wrote:

The Jesuits should take a cue :lol:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:47 pm

How Bourbon County Stout Remains Cool After 'Selling Out,' According to Goose Island's Brewmaster

It's coming up quick. They are expensive and sell out fast. Does anyone here have a local place that sells them? I have friends that drive around to different locations to buy them. Usually upward to $25 a bottle and the stores limit them to 1 bottle per person. There was a store (or an employee) last year that was not aware of the limit per customer and my friend bought a case. As cool as that may sound I'm not paying $360-$600 bucks for a case of beer.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Raynal Brandy is pretty darned mellow!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."