Why is Hot & Sour Soup So Good?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community

Hot and Sour

Egg Flour is more gooder
6%
Yep
44%
Nah
19%
A_Morley in short shorts
31%

Total votes: 16

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Re: Why is Hot & Sour Soup So Good?

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 pm
I also ask the converse...why is Egg Drop soup so disappointing??
What?! I was just getting ready to ask why it wasn't on any lists. Good egg drop soup is amazing! Not that Chinese buffet generic kind. The real authentic stuff. Dang good.
Don't be hurt. You can have mine.
Deal!

Now I may hurt some feelings here but.....I've never even had hot and sour soup.
If you don’t like it, can I have yours?
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:41 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:40 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 pm
I also ask the converse...why is Egg Drop soup so disappointing??
What?! I was just getting ready to ask why it wasn't on any lists. Good egg drop soup is amazing! Not that Chinese buffet generic kind. The real authentic stuff. Dang good.
Don't be hurt. You can have mine.
Deal!

Now I may hurt some feelings here but.....I've never even had hot and sour soup.
If you don’t like it, can I have yours?
Of course! Even Steven trade.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:02 pm

Hot & Sour Soup is my go to sick soup.
DL Jake

It’s a little smooshed, but seems to be intact. - Gabriel

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:06 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:02 pm
Hot & Sour Soup is my go to sick soup.
Phrasing.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:50 am

Del wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:03 pm
mstg99 wrote:I make borscht once a month. Delicious. And if you eat enough you will pee pink. Like a unicorn.

I'm due for a crock of borscht. It will help with the diet project after indulgences in Chicago.

(I have never noticed any Pretty Pony Pink urine before. But I don't see pink worth a darn, anyway.)

I like to buy a couple of quarts of Hot & Sour Soup from the Chinese buffet, just so I can fill the containers with borscht for the freezer.
I can see Del just-a-whistlin’ as he opens up a hot container of hot & sour, pours it right down the drain, rinses the container with water, and begins to ladle in the beet barf. :lol:
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:44 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:50 am
Del wrote:
mstg99 wrote:I make borscht once a month. Delicious. And if you eat enough you will pee pink. Like a unicorn.

I'm due for a crock of borscht. It will help with the diet project after indulgences in Chicago.

(I have never noticed any Pretty Pony Pink urine before. But I don't see pink worth a darn, anyway.)

I like to buy a couple of quarts of Hot & Sour Soup from the Chinese buffet, just so I can fill the containers with borscht for the freezer.
I can see Del just-a-whistlin’ as he opens up a hot container of hot & sour, pours it right down the drain, rinses the container with water, and begins to ladle in the beet barf. :lol:

But I love Hot & Sour, so I'd eat that. Then I save the quart containers, and fill them with homemade stuff.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:47 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

:rotfl:
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:44 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

But I love Hot & Sour, so I'd eat that. Then I save the quart containers, and fill them with homemade stuff.
I figured you did. I was just joshing you.

Having grown up in the south, I am unfamiliar with borscht. It doesn’t sound appetizing. What are the arguments in favor thereof?

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm confused. Does Jocose have the hots for sweetnsour or thinks he's hot?
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

BeefyG
Usher
Usher

Post by BeefyG » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Fainn wrote:I'm confused. Does Jocose have the hots for sweetnsour or thinks he's hot?
Shh... Don’t ask. Don’t tell.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:53 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:51 pm
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

Having grown up in the south, I am unfamiliar with borscht. It doesn’t sound appetizing. What are the arguments in favor thereof?
We had some friends who were immigrants from Russia.

Borscht is the Russian equivalent of chili. Every family has a unique recipe. It is delicious. Very comforting and warm, after a long cold ride home on a soviet bus. Goes very well with vodka.

Borscht is a meaty vegetable stew, with a sweet-&-sour broth. It is not beet-forward, but some beet root is considered vital to give borscht it's distinctive color. The vinegar (or lemon juice) is also necessary, and beet juice color depends on pH, and it's not pretty if it isn't acidic.

Also necessary: Got to stir a dollop of sour cream into each bowl, just before serving.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 am

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:53 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

Borscht is the Russian equivalent of chili. Every family has a unique recipe. It is delicious. Very comforting and warm, after a long cold ride home on a soviet bus. Goes very well with vodka.

Borscht is a meaty vegetable stew, with a sweet-&-sour broth. It is not beet-forward, but some beet root is considered vital to give borscht it's distinctive color. The vinegar (or lemon juice) is also necessary, and beet juice color depends on pH, and it's not pretty if it isn't acidic.

Also necessary: Got to stir a dollop of sour cream into each bowl, just before serving.
There's Del again. Familiar with one type of borscht, he broadly speaks for all borscht.
—Marcus Aurelius

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:27 am

Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

I might eat that borscht.

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:00 am
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

There's Del again. Familiar with one type of borscht, he broadly speaks for all borscht.
You probably put spaghetti pasta in your chili, right?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Del's borscht sounds completely unlike what I had in Russia. The Russian stuff is lacking. I would eat Del's.
"Did I go wrong by buying a High Output Cummins 6.7L diesel Ram Laramie?" - Goose

There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

You have me confused with Wosbald. At your age, it's not surprising.

Hell, whatever a man in a skirt does is hardly surprising anymore.
—Marcus Aurelius

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

You two are practically twins.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 am

Del wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:28 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Del wrote:

You two are practically twins.
That's pretty low, even for a troglodyte like you. :lol:
—Marcus Aurelius

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:48 am

I had Borscht as a teenager at a friend's grandparents home, and it was as Del described...I am not a vegi liking person...but I liked this...have tried 2 times at resturants to get it, and both times it was watery and not good...so I gave up. Maybe this will encourage me to seek out some good Borscht.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:48 am
I had Borscht as a teenager at a friend's grandparents home, and it was as Del described...I am not a vegi liking person...but I liked this...have tried 2 times at resturants to get it, and both times it was watery and not good...so I gave up. Maybe this will encourage me to seek out some good Borscht.
If you care to give it a try, here is my simple recipe:
Slow Cooker Borscht

Ingredients
1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 beets, peeled and chopped
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup baby carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups beef broth, or more
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

3 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup sour cream, as garnish

Directions
- Place beef, beets, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a slow cooker.

- Whisk together the beef broth, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, dill weed, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over the beef and vegetables, adding more broth to cover as needed.

- Cover and cook on High about 4 hours (or forever on LOW), until carrot and beet slivers are tender.

- Set heat to High, then stir in the shredded cabbage. Cover and continue cooking until the cabbage tender, about 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Serve in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream.
I take the time to slice the beets, carrots, and potatoes into spoon-length slivers about the size of shoestring potatoes. I shred the cabbage about the same length. A Russian borscht-wife taught me that this is important to the presentation.

Be mindful that beets will stain your cutting board and hand towels and fingers. I use a plastic cutting board for this project.

If you are short on time, saute those hard veggies and onions in a little oil to pre-soften them. Always a good idea, anyhow.

Go find some dill weed spice. It is vital to the traditional recipe.
========

Don't let that borscht-for-brains Hugo tell you that this isn't real borscht.