Kid's summer sports - brag on your kids here

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 am

It's swim season! Summer age-group club swim season anyway. Finally got involved last year for my daughter and now my two older kids are both swimming this year. I love it. So far they love it too, but seriously, I love it. :D

Last edited by Gabriel on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sola Deo Gloria

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: It's swim season!

Post by Cleon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:20 pm

That's great. Swimming is a hard sport.

I remember in high school a bunch of the football players tried out for the swim team. Half an hour into the practice and they were all throwing up in the gutter.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Cleon wrote:That's great. Swimming is a hard sport.

I remember in high school a bunch of the football players tried out for the swim team. Half an hour into the practice and they were all throwing up in the gutter.
Ha! Not surprised, swimming is completely different. It takes more all around fitness, coordination, and skill than a lot of football players are used to needing. This is NOT an insult to football, I enjoy football, but it's not the same thing as swimming.
Sola Deo Gloria

SteveH
It's a disgrace. I don't care.
It's a disgrace. I don't care.

Post by SteveH » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Cleon wrote: I enjoy football, but it's not the same thing as swimming.
It can be here, with our weather - proper football, that is, which you chaps quaintly call "soccer".
I don't bother with a Jacuzzi - I just fart in the bath.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: Kid's summer sports - brag on your kids here

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:34 pm

We have been considering water polo for son 1. It's getting to be a big deal in our area. But anyway, my oldest son will be taking surfing lessons, my youngest will be taking more swimming lessons. We will likely do some snorkeling and spear fishing in the next couple of years too. Son one is also planning on qualifying for the Jr. Guard program with feeds the local life guard employment later. The premium summer job for local young people is life guarding at the beach.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Daughter is taking tap & jazz as well as working at her cousin's high end frock shop this summer.
Son is scheduled for Boy Scout Camp and a 15 day back packing trip in New Mexico at Philmont Scout Ranch, plus the Steubenville San Diego conference, and Varsity Water Polo training.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Woohoo!

I haven’t been posting nearly as many pics of my kids as I used to (FB took over), but we’re winding up another summer swim season soon. So much fun watching them develop and enjoy being good at something physical.

My youngest in the top of the frame leading the pack in backstroke, my daughter looking great in breaststroke, and my middle son leading the pool with some solid freestyle. Fun times.
Sola Deo Gloria

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 pm

There's a summer rugby league locally. I wish I'd had that option when I was a kid. They have an adult summer rugby league also, but I'm too busy (and too old, fat, and out of shape) to make a go of it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 am

Baseball season is over but my boy (11) had a game where he came in to pitch in the second inning, fielded a grounder and struck out two; next inning, struck out three batters; next inning, struck out the side.

I was all 8O

Another impressive feat (and hilarious to watch) was watching him lay down a bunt and advancing on over throws all the way home. I think he slid into second, third, and home. He was gassed but grinning ear to ear.
"Do mo betta." -FredS

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am

As a kid I liked baseball. Would have liked at least one of my parents to come to a Little League game, but they ran a mom and pop grocery store, and were too busy, I guess. I have no kids of my own, or others, so I can;t report on that, but I'll brag about myself..

We were being no hit in a H.S. Junior Varsity baseball game and in the 5th inning I drove a solid single to center field, ruining the no hit bid. My team mates were happy with me.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Last time I was back in KC (the 'burbs anyway) went to the grandkids swim meet. It seems all the neighborhoods have a club and each Wednesday they have meets around town, 1 club v another. They record times and have a championship meet at the end of the season.

This is how we did little league baseball when I was a boy. Neighborhood teams practicing on neighborhood lots meant we could ride our bikes to practice and we all knew each other so we were pretty tight. It was a good system for 'rec' leagues, and really, that's all kids should be playing in until they're 12 or 13 years old.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe