The DIVCO project

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

The DIVCO project

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:37 am

Detroit International Vehicle Company

I bought a project vehicle yesterday. It's a 1952 Model 12 DIVCO truck. Ninety-one were built, mine was the the seventy first. Most of these were built to serve as milk delivery trucks. They used hand throttles, hand brakes and were designed with a seat that could be pushed out of the way so that they could be driven standing up. My truck is said to be the only one in this model to be built from the factory to be an ice cream truck. It has specially made coolers accessible from the cab portion. I accept that story with a grain of salt, but I do know that the unique layout was at least made very early on, so it's possibly true.

Anyway. I will be installing a more modern engine and drive train, power steering, new front and rear ends and so on. The outside will be given a retro look with colored trim using colors available from that era. The originals topped out at about 40 miles per hour. I need to drive Modern freeways, using normal foot pedals.

I don't have all the details worked out yet. I'm hoping to have this built by about the first of next year, but really I expect for it to take a full year to complete. I got an outstanding deal on it with lots of extra parts.

This will be used as a promotional vehicle for my brokerage. More on that later.

This is were the ice cream came from. This is unique because this truck uses a refrigerator system as opposed to the more common ice. This also means that there is no serious rust underneath that is common on these trucks that had melting ice on board.

I have been in touch with various collectors and have turned down some other trucks before this one came along. When I found this one within an hour from home, they were absolutely insistent that I buy this one. So I listened. The doors shut, it's in relatively good shape for the age, the bad rust is relegated to areas that are easily replaced.

The fellow I bought it from is worth a thread in itself and I spent most of the day going through his place with him. I will be buying more stuff from him like hand tools, Americana and so on. Let's just say that the TV show American Pickers are begging to come to his place and for good reason. But the man's health is bad and he doesn't want to deal with them. He has been featured in numerous books and won a number of awards for his various builds. This man was one of the most interesting souls I've ever met and he's faithful Christian and it showed with all the biblical art he made.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Re: The DIVCO project

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:02 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:12 am

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:20 am

Cool. Way cool! :D

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:27 am

That truck needs a blower and scoop sticking up through the hood. Really nice project.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:01 am

You could drive real estate clients around and let them eat ice cream on the way.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 am

GaryInVA wrote:That truck needs a blower and scoop sticking up through the hood. Really nice project.
That was actually the original plan of the fellow I bought it from before his health went south.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 am

coco wrote:You could drive real estate clients around and let them eat ice cream on the way.
Some clients would like like that, but I'm not going to suggest it. Though, if showing nearby it may be a viable option. It will also have coffee espresso, and popcorn making capabilities most likely. :D

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:18 am

I wondered if this was what you were talking about. It really is. I remember delivered milk bottles and those trucks.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:57 pm

We now have an ice cream truck for hire to help us at our listing's open houses. Very few do this sort of thing and when we did it, it got tied to a news story that first ended up in the paper, then local cable networks then finally went national prime time.

Anyway, this allows us to meet potential buyers, but more importantly, it's gets the local neighborhood involved. They come see the home, then grab an ice cream. We hope they stay and chat a while with us. Neighbors care about homes in their neighborhood selling. They want it sold for top dollar and they often know someone who might be interested in buying a home in their neighborhood. We want to get them involved with selling their neighbor's home. It works, a marked improvement in business has come with an ice cream truck. But hiring one for three or four hours at a time isn't cheap.

But this will be more than a ice cream truck. It will be a visual icon for our brokerage, people got surprisingly excited about the truck we already use. This new truck will take it up a notch and will have the ability to serve more than ice cream. Coffee, hot dogs, popcorn ect. Depending on the time and venue. It will also be used in local events as a mobile bill board, a place to sign folks up for various prizes, support charity drives and so on. Tables, chairs and umbrellas will be kept in the back to be placed out as well.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm

John-Boy wrote:How much is shipping?

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:02 pm

UncleBob wrote:
John-Boy wrote:How much is shipping?
Last week we were looking at another one in Texas to ship our way. It would have coast about $1500. But this one isn't for sale, I'm pretty sure it will bring us a few hundred thousand dollars.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 pm

Thunktank wrote:But this one isn't for sale, I'm pretty sure it will bring us a few hundred thousand dollars.
Why? What are you planning to do with it?
Maybe it's promotional... List with us and we'll make your ice-dreams come true.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thunktank wrote:But this one isn't for sale, I'm pretty sure it will bring us a few hundred thousand dollars.
Maybe it's promotional... List with us and we'll make your ice-dreams come true.
You're the engineering type. You won't see the numbers make sense until it happens. Most folks are not engineers. It's amazing.

Did you miss the above post?

We have special marketing for engineers. :wink:

But I over simplified my above statement. This alone may make a few good sales, but it's true potential is in relation to the overall company. There is not one magic bullet that makes us our brokerage money. There is many magic bullets working in concert to meet the requirements and needs of many different kinds of people.

But we can discuss specifics about marketing for another thread. We can even talk about them in relation to religion too. :wink:

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Does the fellow have any vintage fountain pens?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:54 pm

gaining_age wrote:Does the fellow have any vintage fountain pens?
I doubt it.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:52 am

Thunktank wrote:
Rusty wrote:
You're the engineering type. You won't see the numbers make sense until it happens. Most folks are not engineers. It's amazing.

Did you miss the above post?

We have special marketing for engineers. :wink:

But I over simplified my above statement. This alone may make a few good sales, but it's true potential is in relation to the overall company. There is not one magic bullet that makes us our brokerage money. There is many magic bullets working in concert to meet the requirements and needs of many different kinds of people.

But we can discuss specifics about marketing for another thread. We can even talk about them in relation to religion too. :wink:
As an engineering type, I want to be assured that the outlay is justified by profits greater than the minimum expected rate of return. If not, all will be forgiven if you give me an ice cream cone from your cool truck.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Oh my, this is beyond cool. Please keep us in on the updates with pictures.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:33 pm

I hope he wears this outfit when he drives it:

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:35 pm

'50's DIVCO Ice Cream Truck.