The DIVCO project

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The DIVCO project

Post by Cleon » Fri May 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Thank you for brightening my day! Seriously, cool stuff.

What's it like to rich? :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Cleon wrote:Thank you for brightening my day! Seriously, cool stuff.

What's it like to rich? :lol:
Rich?

Lol! If I was rich I would have hired a company to do this work during daylight hours rather than wait on my brother-in-law to do it in his spare time! But not complaining, I'm doing well enough. I'm blessed.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 06, 2016 6:33 pm

This is the way they decided to insulate theirs. . .

A shot of the dash:

Here's the back of mine with some parts. The engine is currently being worked on right now. It is said to be "sound" and we are considering what color we want to paint it.

Here's another kind of truck that will be on a movie set soon:

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri May 13, 2016 11:11 am

Still very cool. Loving this project.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 am

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Anyhow, a quick update. The LT1 engine is rebuilt and bored out. The Transmision is ready for installation and funds are diverted to other places for now. It's been a slow year for us. But all is good because we have been turned onto classic cars and trucks. We go to shows, we watch the TV show Counting Cars and Big Easy Motors. Our perspective and expectations are changing and we are more interested in doing it nice than doing it fast. We aren't going to spend tens of thousands to get this done at a custom shop other than the paint. My B-I-L and his buddies are having fun with it in their off time when we have the funds for it.

On a different note, we are already talking about the next project car. :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Are there any thoughts here concerning the idea of finding a truck of proper length and using the entire chassis to put the DIVCO body on? I don't know exactly how this could possibly work. But these guys are telling me that most folks don't do it that way because there isn't any money to be made this way.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Chevy S-10's are popular bases for project builds. I wonder though why you're considering it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Anyway, a quick update. I should probably down load some pictures, but later. I now have a rolling chassis and an engine and transmission installed. So far, so good. We decided not to do the chassis swap with an s10. Sticking to our original plan instead. The body is amazingly short on rust. Quite happy. Lots of people are trying to buy it off of me.

Also, my Jeep is supposedly nearly done, as in restored. It goes in for paint and body this week, the upholstery is getting done now. I’m starting to see more and more of those Cherokees getting restored now. Those that haven’t gotten beat to death by now are starting to fall into hands like mine. I was considering on building a tough looking trail rig, but decided to simply return to mostly stock. I may add a bit of armor, recovery hooks and a rear locker for a bit of added off road ability, but I want to drive it stock first for a while. I bet it will do just fine off pavement doing what I normally do. I had a stock 4Runner once, that thing went just about anywhere. I’m not trying to keep up with the big built Jeeps out there, I just like to explore, hunt, fish and camp. I just like these old school suvs being restored and appreciated again. They don’t make stuff like that anymore.

Finally, the guys doing my DIVCO are trying to talk me into building “tap trucks”. Basically they are 1960’s era panel trucks that are hot rodded and beer taps are installed on the side of them that lead to an interior full of beer kegs. They are often rented out to private parties and events. . . Sounds interesting. I got to know a fellow with a big beard who has one with his BBQ joint. It’s a big hit for him when he goes out to cater.

Life is fun! :dance:

Yeah, I know. I need to post some pics.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm
...Yeah, I know. I need to post some pics.
Thank you for answering my post before I wrote it. :)
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk