Pit Barrel Cooker

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 am

For Christmas I received the Turkey Hanger!
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:21 pm

UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
I want to know how to make this Christmas Orange Habanero thingy you mention.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33711
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:29 pm

hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
I want to know how to make this Christmas Orange Habanero thingy you mention.
Lets see..this is from memory...
  • Orange juice--about 12 oz
  • Brown sugar--around 2 cups
  • Fresh garlic--thin sliced (2 cloves ought to do it)
  • Onion--thin sliced
  • habanero--minced (I used 2)
  • Fresh-squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional; add at the end)
  • salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. to taste
Heat it all up and whisk. When it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes or so) strain out the veggies. Continue on heat and whisk until is thickens to where you like it. Add some red pepper flakes for a touch more heat but mostly for looks.

EDIT: I also added some orange blossom honey at the end because I had some on hand. Skip suggested some cranberry which I might have done if I had some.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:06 pm

UncleBob wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
UncleBob wrote:Our Christmas soiree at work is this Friday so I will take a smoked pork loin (Lord willing) and a homemade Christmas Orange Habanero Sauce for the side.
I want to know how to make this Christmas Orange Habanero thingy you mention.
Lets see..this is from memory...
  • Orange juice--about 12 oz
  • Brown sugar--around 2 cups
  • Fresh garlic--thin sliced (2 cloves ought to do it)
  • Onion--thin sliced
  • habanero--minced (I used 2)
  • Fresh-squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional; add at the end)
  • salt, pepper, cinnamon, etc. to taste
Heat it all up and whisk. When it starts to thicken (about 10 minutes or so) strain out the veggies. Continue on heat and whisk until is thickens to where you like it. Add some red pepper flakes for a touch more heat but mostly for looks.

EDIT: I also added some orange blossom honey at the end because I had some on hand. Skip suggested some cranberry which I might have done if I had some.
Thank you. I must try this.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 am

Tried the turkey hanger last night (with a chicken...)

Image

The site says 2 hours for two halves of a chicken. This one took around three hours. I'm not sure if it was due to the extreme cold or because it was a whole bird. Seems, even without the cold, my run times tend to go longer than the recommended times. I typically light her up exactly as outlined. I might let the coals burn a little longer than 20 minutes next time to see if that changes cook time. I'm still getting used to my setup tho.
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 21058
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 am

tuttle wrote:Tried the turkey hanger last night (with a chicken...)

Image

The site says 2 hours for two halves of a chicken. This one took around three hours. I'm not sure if it was due to the extreme cold or because it was a whole bird. Seems, even without the cold, my run times tend to go longer than the recommended times. I typically light her up exactly as outlined. I might let the coals burn a little longer than 20 minutes next time to see if that changes cook time. I'm still getting used to my setup tho.
I saw a 7 pound capon at the store last night. I think the hanger would be perfect for that.

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36697
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm

I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Del wrote:I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
I made some smokey stock out of the chicken scraps last night!
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36697
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm

tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
I made some smokey stock out of the chicken scraps last night!
Homemade chicken stock is a great secret of home-cooking.

But those inedible wingtips from a PBC chicken -- blackened with smokey goodness -- take your own stock to levels that restaurant chefs aspire to!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 20372
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Jocose » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm

tuttle wrote:
Del wrote:I ordered a turkey hanger with my original purchase. I could see into the future, and there were already smoked turkeys on the horizon.

Mrs. Del loves smoked turkey in the PBC. She hopes we never have to roast one in the oven again. And leftover turkey makes awesome gumbo, too.
I made some smokey stock out of the chicken scraps last night!
For X-mad, My friend ordered a smoked turkey from some "famous" Texas smokehouse.
Shipped via UPS in a cooler.

Best damn bird ever.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS



Image

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33711
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 am

It's been almost a month since I used the Pit Barrel--I must rectify this.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33711
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 am

I am thinking I need to smoke some pork loin and jalapeno poppers.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am

Jester and I will be cooking in a BBQ competition at the end of the month.

I'm using the PBC for ribs! (and possibly chicken...) :chili:
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33711
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh, it's happening right now. 8 lb pork tenderloin, seasoned, and awaiting the coals to be just right.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod
Posts: 12535
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Middle-west
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by tuttle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).
"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11394
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:43 pm

tuttle wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:16 am
Jester and I will be cooking in a BBQ competition at the end of the month.

I'm using the PBC for ribs! (and possibly chicken...) :chili:
:chili: indeed.

Maybe start a thread on it? Post pics and updates?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33711
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by UncleBob » Mon May 01, 2017 2:20 pm

This weekend: pork loin, spareribs, and sausage.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36697
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm

A young friend (tuttle-aged is young) got a new PBC a few weeks ago.

We smoked 8 racks of spareribs on Sunday for his family, my family, his wife's parents, a few of his brothers...
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 36697
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Del » Thu May 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Del wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm
A young friend (tuttle-aged is young) got a new PBC a few weeks ago.

We smoked 8 racks of spareribs on Sunday for his family, my family, his wife's parents, a few of his brothers...
I just got a text from him:
I hate when I'm trying to pray the Rosary but I keep thinking about my Pit Barrel Cooker.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Pit Barrel Cooker

Post by Jester » Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am

tuttle wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:09 pm
Three slabs gonna be hung up tomorrow. Practice for the BBQ contest (the best kind of practice).
Tuttle, upload the bbq pictures.
It was fun but it was cold. We went up against 60 teams and the majority of them were seasoned professionals. We did fantastic considering we got 27th in ribs on the PBC. Tuttle beat half of those seasoned pros in his first competition appearance. Not even considering we were about the only team that cooked old school. All the teams had sponsored, fancy, set-it and forget-it smokers and we had an old Oklahoma Joe (a.k.a. the Dinosaur #nofeathers). We were up all night in 30 degree weather maintaining the temperature of our rig. While other teams slept soundly we took one hour shifts. Poor Tuttle got the shaft on this part :lol: he only had one sleeping shift :lol: . When he realized this he started up the PBC around 6 in the morning. At noon our cousin had his chicken done and we were like a well oiled machine getting it prepped for turn in. At 12:30 we turned in the ribs (The only thing we cooked on the PBC). 1:00 was pork which had to be turned in pulled because I was unable to slice medallions out of the "money muscle" as they call it in the bbq world. Last we turned in our brisket which had burnt ends that would make a vegetarian cry for mercy to end his anguish. That must have been how all briskets were that day because I think we placed in the 40"s. All in all it was a blast with cigars and pints. I will try and have Tuttle post the pictures and our final results since he seams to be a phantom here lately. Cant wait until next year when the Coal Biters get another chance at victory.
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Post Reply