The Hockey Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: The Hockey Thread

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:17 pm

No doubt

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:50 pm

It's a rough start for HockeyBoy. It's his senior year in varsity and only four players returned to the team this season. Most of the new players are smaller freshmen and sophomores. The good news is Justin is getting LOTS of ice time. The bad news is that we've lost the first three games by a collective score of 18 to 3.

I've never been a fan of mercy rules, but tonight it gave me a bit of relief.

:nodancingrequired:

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 am

JimVH wrote:It's a rough start for HockeyBoy. It's his senior year in varsity and only four players returned to the team this season. Most of the new players are smaller freshmen and sophomores. The good news is Justin is getting LOTS of ice time. The bad news is that we've lost the first three games by a collective score of 18 to 3.

I've never been a fan of mercy rules, but tonight it gave me a bit of relief.

:nodancingrequired:
They have a mercy rule? No that's not how it works. Let me explain and you can pass on: 1 team runs up the score and the other responds by instigating line brawls.

Sorry to hear, though, truly. Seasons like that are always rough, though they are good opportunities to build some character and leadership.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

"Pipe smokers used to be among the smartest people walking around. It's not true anymore." - Rusty

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:53 pm

We are 0-4, but the kids are improving and tonight's score was close. Justin is getting a ton of ice time and has seen some pretty dramatic improvement.

His biggest obstacle is kind of funny. Many of the teams in this league have female players. Most of them are very good skaters and they've played the game most of their lives. They are usually tough as boot leather, too. His challenge is the role confusion between hockey player and proper southern boy. He cant decide whether to check or hold the door for them and he's never had this much time on the ice for it to become an issue.

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am

This thread needs resurrecting...

Who is watching the playoffs?

I'll be watching the Hurricanes complete their sweep of the Islanders tonight. :chili:
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:27 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Let's go Pens
Thank you. I knew you wouldn't let me Hov this thread.

I dig the Pens, but GO RED WINGS.
As a native of Detroit, I approve this message. 8)

I was an adolescent when Scotty Bowman came to Detroit and took the Wings from being good to great, and many of my fondest memories with my dad were centered around us watching the Wings together. It warmed my heart to see the news this week that Steve Yzerman was hired as Wings GM - give him a few years, they'll be contenders again.
I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books.... I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a rough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.
- C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Fri May 03, 2019 9:19 am

Adam Z wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am
JimVH wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:27 pm
DepartedLight wrote:Let's go Pens
Thank you. I knew you wouldn't let me Hov this thread.

I dig the Pens, but GO RED WINGS.
As a native of Detroit, I approve this message. 8)

I was an adolescent when Scotty Bowman came to Detroit and took the Wings from being good to great, and many of my fondest memories with my dad were centered around us watching the Wings together. It warmed my heart to see the news this week that Steve Yzerman was hired as Wings GM - give him a few years, they'll be contenders again.
The Red Wings are a sentimental favorite for me, but there's no real attachment for me to Detroit. We moved to Houston in the '70s during the heyday of the Houston Aeros (WHL). I became a huge fan of Gordie Howe and his sons. Fans would wear their Red Wings stuff to the Aeros games and root for Gordie, which, in turn, made me a fan of the Wings, too. Zoom forward a few decades when my grandson started playing hockey. He played a few seasons for a Red Wings team and that got me supercharged all over again.
Last edited by JimVH on Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 am

Adam Z wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am

I'll be watching the Hurricanes complete their sweep of the Islanders tonight. :chili:
The Stars are the only team left that we are emotionally attached to, but we're trying to watch it all. If I don't have a team in the game I usually find myself cheering for the oldest, most historic team. Unless a new york team is playing, then I root for whoever NY is playing against. :twisted:

Adam Z
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Adam Z » Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am

JimVH wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 am
Adam Z wrote:

The Stars are the only team left that we are emotionally attached to, but we're trying to watch it all. If I don't have a team in the game I usually find myself cheering for the oldest, most historic team. Unless a new york team is playing, then I root for whoever NY is playing against. :twisted:
This makes you a Hurricanes fan tonight. :thumbsup:
- C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am
JimVH wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 am
Adam Z wrote:

This makes you a Hurricanes fan tonight. :thumbsup:
Exactly.

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 pm

DAL v STL

Four minutes left in the first and I'm already wound-up.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 pm
DAL v STL

What. A. Game.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH

Post by JimVH » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 pm
JimVH wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:46 pm
DAL v STL

What. A. Game.
Exactly.