WHO DAT? WHO DERE?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: WHO DAT? WHO DERE?

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:01 am

John-Boy, SandPiper

Hey, Kip.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:04 pm

coco, durangopipe, Fainn, Goose55, JimVH, Jocose, John-Boy, JudgeRusty, Natalio, SHEMH2004, taylor714914, et al
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Ether, Google [Bot], Jake, JimVH, John-Boy, Kerdy, Roadmaster, Sid.Stavros
Praying - coco

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], John-Boy, Kerdy, les, mustangii, Roadmaster, UncleBob, wosbald, Yahoo [Bot]
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:26 pm

hugodrax, JMG, Jocose, Pepik, ReverendThom, sweetandsour, TwoXseveN
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Bing [Bot], coco, durangopipe, Ether, Google [Bot], hugodrax, Jester, JMG, Pepik, ReverendThom, Roadmaster, sweetandsour, UncleBob, wosbald

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:49 am

Cleon, CW Spook, DepartedLight, FredS, Google [Bot], Goose55, JMG, John-Boy, revspipes, Roadmaster, SandPiper, UncleBob

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:51 am

Cleon, CW Spook, DepartedLight, FredS, Goose55, Highlander, John-Boy, mont974x4, Roadmaster, sweetandsour, UncleBob, +1 hider
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Bloodhound, durangopipe, gaining_age, Goose55, Highlander, Jester, John-Boy, Roadmaster
Praying - coco

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Bing [Bot], DepartedLight, GaryInVA, Google [Bot], hugodrax, Jester, JimVH, John-Boy, Sir Moose, UncleBob

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Hovannes, hugodrax, Jocose, John-Boy, Pepik, ReverendThom, Roadmaster
Praying - coco

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 am

hugodrax, Irish-Dane, Jake, wosbald

Oh my goodness gracious, a Jake sighting!!! Hello ma'am.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:39 am

Irish-Dane wrote:hugodrax, Irish-Dane, Jake, wosbald

Oh my goodness gracious, a Jake sighting!!! Hello ma'am.
Hey there, I-D!
It's a beautiful day in Idaho, no matter who our current and/or future president is. Life is good!
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am

Chaps_iii, Cleon, Del, Google [Bot], Hovannes, hugodrax, Jester, Jflo, Jocose, Pepik, TwoXseveN, UncleBob, wosbald
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:30 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Sir Moose

Just me an' the bots.

ETA: In case The Impudent is looking, I know that it should be 'Just the bots and I.'
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:56 am

Sir Moose wrote:Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Sir Moose

Just me an' the bots.

ETA: In case The Impudent is looking, I know that it should be 'Just the bots and I.'
I think "Just me an' the bots" is right. Is it an object or subject?
Praying - coco

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:08 pm

John-Boy wrote:

Just me an' the bots.

Just me an' the bots is a fragment with a contraction, the subject of the more complete sentence, absent the contraction, that this fragment implies is: Just me and the bots are here, or perhaps more conventionally, placing the pronoun after the noun, Just the bots and me are here.

A harsh dissonance to anyone's ear.

"Me" in either case is incorrect by the standards of prescriptive grammar. Anyone who went to a good Parochial school and had the nuns rapping their knuckles with a ruler when they messed up the diagramming of sentences will painfully recall that this pronoun appears in the sentence's subject, not its predicate. (Would that all of my students were so trained!)

The pronoun in the implied complete sentence should be nominative case: Just the bots and I are here, or the fragment with contraction, Just the bots an' I.

But since this is an internet forum, and code switching is far preferable to perfect pedantic grammar, even the Impudent should accept, Just me an' the bots.

I'll gladly assume the role of Deputy Assistant CPS Presecriptive/Descriptive Grammarian, with a side of semantics and code switching. I wonder how the bots will index this? One day i just might search for Deputy Assistant CPS Prescriptive/Descriptive Grammarian and see just how good those bots are!

I'm gonna check on them bots one a these days.
Last edited by durangopipe on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Just me an' the bots.

Just me and the bots is a fragment, the subject of the more complete sentence this fragment implies is: Just me and the bots are here, or perhaps more conventionally, placing the pronoun after the noun, Just the bots and me are here.

A harsh dissonance to the ear.

"Me" in either case is incorrect by the standards of prescriptive grammar. Anyone who went to a good Parochial school and had the nuns rapping their knuckles with a ruler when they messed up the diagramming of sentences will painfully remember that this pronoun appears in the sentence's subject, not predicate. (Would that all of my students were so trained!)

The pronoun in the implied complete sentence should be nominative case: Just the bots and I are here, or the fragment, Just the bots and I.

But since this is an internet forum, and code switching is far preferable to perfect pedantic grammar, even the Impudent should accept, Just me and the bots.

I'll gladly assume the role of Deputy Assistant CPS Presecriptive/Descriptive Grammarian, with a side of semantics and code switching. I wonder how the bots will index this? One day i just might search for Deputy Assistant CPS Prescriptive/Descriptive Grammarian and see just how good those bots are!

Me was gonna say that.
Praying - coco

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:11 pm

John-Boy wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Just me an' the bots.

Just me and the bots is a fragment, the subject of the more complete sentence this fragment implies is: Just me and the bots are here, or perhaps more conventionally, placing the pronoun after the noun, Just the bots and me are here.

"Me" in either case is incorrect by the standards of prescriptive grammar. Anyone who went to a good Parochial school and had the nuns rapping their knuckles with a ruler when they messed up the diagramming of sentences will painfully remember that this pronoun appears in the sentence's subject, not predicate. (Would that all of my students were so trained!)

The pronoun in the implied complete sentence should be nominative case: Just the bots and I are here, or the fragment, Just the bots and I.

But since this is an internet forum, and code switching is far preferable to perfect pedantic grammar, even the Impudent should accept, Just me and the bots.

Me was gonna say that.
Ya done good, JB.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Sir Moose

Post by Sir Moose » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:42 pm

durangopipe wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Just me an' the bots.

Me was gonna say that.
Ya done good, JB.
The full and grammatically correct statement would be, "Just the bots and I are here."
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.