The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Bloodhound, interestingly enough, my wife suggested just keeping them in the freezer and pulling them out when I needed them. I really am blessed to have her, she hasn't complained about the rabbit pelts in the freezer that I keep meaning to get to "someday" either.

Durangopipe, you really just put borax on the joint area? I I can certainly try that, just seems like the there is still flesh on the wing bones that would eventually rot. Maybe the borax keeps the "bugs" away that facilitate the rot? I'll give it a shot, though it is cold and damp here. Actually, I'll probably do everything and see if I get anywhere.

I did consider plucking them, but would rather not if I don't have to.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Working various techniques, rather than patterns today. Made with feathers harvested myself (pheasant, turkey, hen).

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 am

^I can see that looking like a crawdad (that's right, crawdad) once it's in the water and all those wiggly bits start moving around.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 am
^I can see that looking like a crawdad (that's right, crawdad) once it's in the water and all those wiggly bits start moving around.
I call them crawdads, too.
Sometimes a wiggly fly you tied up as an experiment will take trout better than a lot of other flies, and you don’t know why.

What the hell is a wooly bugger imitating?

Nothing?
A hundred things? (Depending on the depth you fish it at and how you retrieve it.)

Nobody knows for sure, but you’d be hard pressed to find a fly that catches more fish.

Fish that fly with a slow retrieve (hand twist) or short strips, long strips and swinging -and tell us it catches fish like crazy, Gabe.

If it does.
And it just might!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 pm

Still working on Spey inspired patterns. Someday I’ll acquire the right hooks and some more colorful materials. For now this one is:
Red floss, dark hare’s ear dubbing, gold tinsel, pheasant rump hackle, guinea hackle, mallard flank wing. Turned out OK.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 pm
Still working on Spey inspired patterns. Someday I’ll acquire the right hooks and some more colorful materials. For now this one is:
Red floss, dark hare’s ear dubbing, gold tinsel, pheasant rump hackle, guinea hackle, mallard flank wing. Turned out OK.

Very nicely tied, Gabriel.
A lovely salmon fly.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks!
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 pm

In the garage cleaning up some rabbit and pheasant skins. The rabbits might be a fail as I haven’t tanned them, just preserved them. Hoping I can tan later, but that might be optimistic.

I should have the opportunity for another rooster or two this year. Is anyone here interested in a skin if I get one? I don’t mind doing the skinning and drying, but I really don’t need 5 pheasant skins laying around. If someone here could use one, let me know and I’ll see what the season brings.

Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Working some patterns that will hopefully work this winter. Lead weight to get them down, fat bodies of pheasant tail, pheasant hackle, peacock, red thread.

We shall see.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:55 pm

If nobody else chimes in, and if you kill any more birds, I'll take a rump clump.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe