The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 am

Got a chance to get to the mountains last week. Some dry and nymph action but a good wooly bugger stripped through a run is hard to beat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:45 pm

Not fly tying, but my daughter finally talked me into painting again. While it was fun, this is obviously a skill I have not maintained. Will label it once the paint is dry. Wing looks decent, but that hackle... ouch.

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9513
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm



I saw this on another site and thought it was cool. I am learning, poorly, but learning :) on a Thompson A
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm


I saw this on another site and thought it was cool. I am learning, poorly, but learning :) on a Thompson A
Thompson A is a classic Vice.
I learned on a Thompson C that I still have.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:25 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 pm


I saw this on another site and thought it was cool. I am learning, poorly, but learning :) on a Thompson A
Thompson A is a classic Vice.
I learned on a Thompson C that I still have.
Fantastic video. I love learning about the tools, gadgets, and gizmos built up around my hobbies. I learned on a Thompson A knockoff that is now in the hands of a more capable tier. I recently was given an old fly ting kit that belonged to my father in law. As far as I know, he never tied flies, but he was a westerner who fished for trout so it was natural that someone would give him a gift such as that somewhere along the line. It has a Thompson H style vise.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 am

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Haven’t done any fly tying all summer. The rust is showing a bit, but Mrs Simpson variants look like a good way to utilize my pheasant feathers.

Image
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Gabriel wrote:Haven’t done any fly tying all summer. The rust is showing a bit, but Mrs Simpson variants look like a good way to utilize my pheasant feathers.

Image

I hear ya Gabriel, my fly box was looking thin so I sat down at the vice and the rust was evident. Will have to remedy that once the weather turns cold.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Yeah, I do a lot more tying in the winter as well. Really enjoying these patterns with pheasant feathers. Hoping to go after some more pheasants this week.

Image

Still struggling a little to keep the spacing right.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:46 pm

If anyone is interested in using some of these (or any of my other patterns), I tie way more each winter than I use. I’d be happy to send out a few. Just PM me.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm
Yeah, I do a lot more tying in the winter as well. Really enjoying these patterns with pheasant feathers. Hoping to go after some more pheasants this week.

Image

Still struggling a little to keep the spacing right.
Lovely flies.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:44 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:43 pm
Yeah, I do a lot more tying in the winter as well. Really enjoying these patterns with pheasant feathers. Hoping to go after some more pheasants this week.

Image

Still struggling a little to keep the spacing right.
Lovely flies.
Thanks! The variety and beauty of feathers on a single pheasant always amaze me.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am

Nice work Gabriel.

I just ordered up enough materials to get me going on a good supply of Euro-style nymphs over the winter.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
arank87
Elder
Elder
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by arank87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am
Nice work Gabriel.

I just ordered up enough materials to get me going on a good supply of Euro-style nymphs over the winter.
Are you making the kind where they float hook up? I had a lot of success on Orvis “tactical” nymphs this year.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 pm

arank87 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am
Nice work Gabriel.

I just ordered up enough materials to get me going on a good supply of Euro-style nymphs over the winter.
Are you making the kind where they float hook up? I had a lot of success on Orvis “tactical” nymphs this year.
Some. I'm a fan boi of Lance Egan and many of the flies I tie are his patterns. I like to use jig style hooks for the anchor fly on my home river and they - in theory - ride hook up. It's a pretty high gradient stream so I use big ol' tungsten beads to get the flies down quickly. I even use a few flies with two beads. This double bead peacock stonefly nymph is a favorite of mine in sizes 8-12. This thing would knock you out if it hit you in the back of the head. The two bit hooker in size 16-18 is another favorite.
Image

I'm considering tying my flies on jig hooks 'upside down'. Specifically, I'm thinking the wing case might be better tied on the inside of the hook if they're going to ride upside down. I'd welcome thoughts from the rest of you guys on this. It certainly won't hurt to twist up a few and see if the fish notice.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm

Do you tie arank? We sometimes do a fly swap here where everyone ties a fly and we divvy them up so we each get one of each others. Sometimes there's 6 or 7 of us that play. All skill levels are welcome.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:40 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:07 pm
arank87 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:43 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:29 am
Nice work Gabriel.

I just ordered up enough materials to get me going on a good supply of Euro-style nymphs over the winter.
Are you making the kind where they float hook up? I had a lot of success on Orvis “tactical” nymphs this year.
Some. I'm a fan boi of Lance Egan and many of the flies I tie are his patterns. I like to use jig style hooks for the anchor fly on my home river and they - in theory - ride hook up. It's a pretty high gradient stream so I use big ol' tungsten beads to get the flies down quickly. I even use a few flies with two beads. This double bead peacock stonefly nymph is a favorite of mine in sizes 8-12. This thing would knock you out if it hit you in the back of the head. The two bit hooker in size 16-18 is another favorite.
Image

I'm considering tying my flies on jig hooks 'upside down'. Specifically, I'm thinking the wing case might be better tied on the inside of the hook if they're going to ride upside down. I'd welcome thoughts from the rest of you guys on this. It certainly won't hurt to twist up a few and see if the fish notice.
1) those rubber leg nymphs are deadly!

2) yes, if the fly is weighted to swim hook up, I agree that the wing case should be tied on the “bottom”which becomes the top in the water.

These are easier to tie if your vise rotates, or if you put the hook in point up.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
arank87
Elder
Elder
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm
Location: Rural Southern Minnesota

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by arank87 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:43 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm
Do you tie arank? We sometimes do a fly swap here where everyone ties a fly and we divvy them up so we each get one of each others. Sometimes there's 6 or 7 of us that play. All skill levels are welcome.
I tied a San Juan Worm....once. And I actually did catch a little brown on it. But to answer your question no I don’t tie flies but I would like to at some point.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22919
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks DP. I was hoping for your input on the upside down nymphs.

I'm also considering "in the round" flies. I use guides choice hares ears a lot and they could easily be done in the round.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11902
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:09 pm

Having fun tying nymph and soft hackle flies on little scud hooks. Not sure when I’d use them, but they’re sure fun and look nice.

Image

Sola Deo Gloria

Post Reply