The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Del » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 pm
And this thread hasn’t had any action for a while so here’s a stonefly nymph approximation I’ve been working on. It’s a Catskill Curler variant tied with all pheasant tail and peacock.

This one is my first serious attempt. Not sure where I’d use it here in IL, but it’s a fun challenge to tie.
Looks like you are ready for an eternity of fly fishing!
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 am

Gabriel wrote:
And this thread hasn’t had any action for a while so here’s a stonefly nymph approximation I’ve been working on. It’s a Catskill Curler variant tied with all pheasant tail and peacock.

This one is my first serious attempt. Not sure where I’d use it here in IL, but it’s a fun challenge to tie.
Those biot tails are an interesting twist. I like how they're not tied in at the back of the fly. We've discussed before my love/hate relationship with biots, but I think your method of dubbing a bit of an underbody first would make them move around less and make it easier to get them to flare nicely. That's a really well tied fly Gabriel.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:57 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 am
Gabriel wrote:

Those biot tails are an interesting twist. I like how they're not tied in at the back of the fly. We've discussed before my love/hate relationship with biots, but I think your method of dubbing a bit of an underbody first would make them move around less and make it easier to get them to flare nicely. That's a really well tied fly Gabriel.
Lovely, complex tie, Gabriel.
Killer looking fly!
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:19 pm
Gabriel wrote:
And this thread hasn’t had any action for a while so here’s a stonefly nymph approximation I’ve been working on. It’s a Catskill Curler variant tied with all pheasant tail and peacock herl.

Looks like you are ready for an eternity of fly fishing!
Getting there! If only I had a practical reason to expand...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:46 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:29 am
Gabriel wrote:

That did work out nicely. I’d like to take credit for the idea, but I actually saw it one of the Fly Tyer magazines that Jim sent me last year. I wrapped pheasant tail from the hook bend to nearly the point and THEN tied in my biots and rib wire. Downside is that my rib starts a little farther up the body, but I’m ok with that.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:57 am

Lovely, complex tie, Gabriel.
Killer looking fly!
Thanks! Working on using different materials now with less positive results.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:22 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Downside is that my rib starts a little farther up the body, but I’m ok with that.
Downside - If one or all of the PT barbs on the very back get nicked and break, they just unwind a little and add more tails.

Upside - They'll only get nicked and break if a toothy fish eats the fly.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm

Been working on tying a decent half & half. I’m thinking this one ought to catch a few smallmouth next year. Pretty happy with it, the first one that isn’t outrageously long.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 pm
Been working on tying a decent half & half. I’m thinking this one ought to catch a few smallmouth next year. Pretty happy with it, the first one that isn’t outrageously long.

Beautiful fly, Gabe.
And a really nice photograph.
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:48 am

Small mouth and crappie will be all over that thing. The red gills are a nice twist.

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 pm
Gabriel wrote:

Beautiful fly, Gabe.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Beautiful fly, Gabe.
Thanks! Took me a while to get a decent one in this lighting with a phone...

Now I need to try a few more of this pattern in different weights. It’s quite a bit more fiddly than a clouser, but I like it.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:17 am

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Beautiful fly, Gabe.
Thanks! Took me a while to get a decent one in this lighting with a phone...

Now I need to try a few more of this pattern in different weights. It’s quite a bit more fiddly than a clouser, but I like it.
Bead chain eyes are great for still water because they sink slower than dumbbells. Way cheaper too. I even picked up a lifetime supply of plastic bead chain at a craft store (two rows over from the scrapbooking supplies :P) that sink even slower.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:00 pm

I am helping my son in-law refinish his hunting rifle and this past weekend we were in my basement working on it, and he asked what the pile of stuff on my desk was...I told him that somewhere under the rags and junk was a fly tying station and tools and supplies...

I need to clean up some and tie some flies...

Good to see Gabriel has his vice hard at work...good looking ties
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 pm

I remember mentioning a film named Kiss The Water about salmon fly tier Megan Boyd and at least one fella here couldn't stream it. I just found it's been put up on youtube.
Kiss The Water

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm

You know you're in CO when a guy posts this on the local river fly fishers FB page.

"Anyone need a bunch of tying stuff (vises tools and materials)? I've got way to much and thought some youngster could put it to good use. Didn't know where else to post it. Price is liquor, beer, blunts, or high fives."

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm
You know you're in CO when a guy posts this on the local river fly fishers FB page.

"Anyone need a bunch of tying stuff (vises tools and materials)? I've got way to much and thought some youngster could put it to good use. Didn't know where else to post it. Price is liquor, beer, blunts, or high fives."
Um... I will pay in high fives.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

“Liberal Christianity” may be more appealing to the masses than “conservative Christianity,” -TNLawPiper

If you can't say “amen” you gotta say “ouch.” -Voddie Baucham

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:22 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 pm
I remember mentioning a film named Kiss The Water about salmon fly tier Megan Boyd and at least one fella here couldn't stream it. I just found it's been put up on youtube.
Kiss The Water
I finally took the time to watch, Fred.
Extraordinary film.

Thanks for posting it.

JimVH
Lil Husk
Lil Husk
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:22 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Kiss The Water
I finally took the time to watch, Fred.
Extraordinary film.

Thanks for posting it.
I watched it again. It was even better the second time.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:24 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Um... I will pay in high fives.
I'm an old man. I presume "high five" still means what I think it means and it's not some sort of supercharged weed.