The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Sweetandsour sent me a bag of feathers for Christmas. Today I tied up some rainbow warriors using his feathers for the tails. When they're in the water, the barring on the feathers and the sunlight and shadows through riffley water give the illusion that the fly is wiggling. I've also tied flies with pheasant feathers from Gabriel. I'm not one to get too philosophical about things like this - they're just feathers after all - but it's pretty cool to tie with stuff from friends.

Thanks Tim
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 am

FredS wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:31 pm
Sweetandsour sent me a bag of feathers for Christmas. Today I tied up some rainbow warriors using his feathers for the tails. When they're in the water, the barring on the feathers and the sunlight and shadows through riffley water give the illusion that the fly is wiggling. I've also tied flies with pheasant feathers from Gabriel. I'm not one to get too philosophical about things like this - they're just feathers after all - but it's pretty cool to tie with stuff from friends.

Thanks Tim
Very nice! And you're very welcome.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:13 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 am
FredS wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks Tim
Very nice! And you're very welcome.
:joy:
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 am

I recently saw a fly named the Open Wound. This morning, thinking I might like to tie a few, I did a google image search for "open wound fly". That was a mistake.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:40 am

FredS wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 am
I recently saw a fly named the Open Wound. This morning, thinking I might like to tie a few, I did a google image search for "open wound fly". That was a mistake.
8O
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:16 pm

A winters work. These flies are all heavily weighted and mostly streamlined nymphs that will sink like stones even in the fast pocket water I often fish in.

The ugly side of fly tying.

I'm still working on a box of caddis nymphs then it's time to dust off my dry fly game.

My fishing plan for this year is to try more skinny water around home, at least early in the summer. I've been pouring over maps - they call it "blue-lining" - and will hit up Sheep Creek, half way between here and Laramie WY, tomorrow. Hoping for a few hours of warm sunshine in the afternoon, but at 7500 ft you never know.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Durangopipe will probably roll over in his grave when he reads this, but probably 35% of the flies pictured above are variations of the Pheasant Tail Nymph and Killer Bug that an English riverkeeper named Frank Sawyer first tied almost 100 years ago.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 pm
Durangopipe will probably roll over in his grave when he reads this, but probably 35% of the flies pictured above are variations of the Pheasant Tail Nymph and Killer Bug that an English riverkeeper named Frank Sawyer first tied almost 100 years ago.
Your boxes shame me, Fred.
Your flies are perfection.

No rolling over.

Fast water and deep fish require heavy nymphs in order to be caught, and Frank Sawyer is one of my heroes along with another nymph man, G.E.M. Skues.

It’s the big fluorescent yarn or foam strike indicators that bother me. Those foam indicators littered many of the streams I fished.

You remind me of me - years ago, Fred.

I used to be infamous around here for the insanely perfect order of my fly boxes. On the San Juan, Tom Knopick once looked into my obsessively arranged midge box and said, “I see sickness here.” Of course, most of his flies were embedded in the chest of his neoprene waders or the bill of his fishing cap.

Another of our guides, Tim, “Wild Thing”, guided at Elktrout Lodge on the Colorado River before he came to Durango. He was good friends with the head guide there, Marty, who was also known for the neatness of his boxes. He arranged for us to have a “box off” when we took a busman’s holiday at Elktrout one year. Marty won the box off hands down. Hundreds of flies in perfect rows, arranged by type, size and color. Whenever any of the slots in any of his many boxes became vacant after a day of fishing he’d tie and fill them before going to bed.

He pulled them out and opened them. I was beaten.

Soundly defeated, after that, I gradually loosened up, and as some of you know my fly tying has slackened off considerably in the past 10 years. The few flies I’ve tied have been for fly swaps here and they definitely showed signs of rust. But this summer, I fish again. And the boxes will need filling. Let’s hope the moths haven’t eaten all of my hackles.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 pm

The last time I tied in any quantity it was steelhead flies for B.C.
The stuff of dreams.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:11 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm
For me, fly tying follows the standard outdoorsman's progression. First you just want to tie a fly, kill a buck, catch a trout. Then you want to tie/kill/catch a lot. Lastly you want quality over quantity - the perfect fly, the wiley old buck, or an 18" cutthroat at 10,000 ft after a 3 hour hike. I got a late start at this game so I'm still in phase II.

Your spun hair flies in the top-center box (bombers & muddlers?) are sweet. I've tried to spin and pack deer hair exactly once. It was a huge mess and I quit after two flies.

I hate those foam indicators too. Check that, I hate anglers who fail to secure them or carelessly toss them away. They're popular on the fly/lure only streams of southern Missouri where the "leave no trace" ethos has never taken root.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:11 am
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 pm
For me, fly tying follows the standard outdoorsman's progression. First you just want to tie a fly, kill a buck, catch a trout. Then you want to tie/kill/catch a lot. Lastly you want quality over quantity - the perfect fly, the wiley old buck, or an 18" cutthroat at 10,000 ft after a 3 hour hike. I got a late start at this game so I'm still in phase II.

Your spun hair flies in the top-center box (bombers & muddlers?) are sweet. I've tried to spin and pack deer hair exactly once. It was a huge mess and I quit after two flies.

I hate those foam indicators too. Check that, I hate anglers who fail to secure them or carelessly toss them away. They're popular on the fly/lure only streams of southern Missouri where the "leave no trace" ethos has never taken root.
Yes.
Usually fished as waking flies on the swing for steelhead.

I’ve half convinced myself to fish this way for trout on the Animas this year. I will definitely not catch as many fish, but I enjoy the process so much I don’t think I’ll care. Maybe I’ll dangle a nymph off the end of the waking fly and dead drift the first part of the drift.

It will just be nice to be fishing again.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am

Fred
Those boxes are beautiful.

My fly boxes look like my fly tying bench and well my shop area in general...but I know where everything is.

This is more flys than I have ever had at one time. I tied about 1/2 of these, the rest were purchased traded or scrounged...I am still tying and I have a bunch spaces to fill before fishing starts in earnest...I am afraid I will never be organized...but that's ok that is kind of the way I fish too.

Edit:

I just remembered, I have 2 boxes mostly full at the cabin and another box in the 4Runner...I have lots of flys...for me anyway :) :dance:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:39 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am
Fred

My fly boxes look like my fly tying bench and well my shop area in general...but I know where everything is.

This is more flys than I have ever had at one time. I tied about 1/2 of these, the rest were purchased traded or scrounged...I am still tying and I have a bunch spaces to fill before fishing starts in earnest...I am afraid I will never be organized...but that's ok that is kind of the way I fish too.

Edit:

I just remembered, I have 2 boxes mostly full at the cabin and another box in the 4Runner...I have lots of flys...for me anyway :) :dance:
Yer boxes are fine. Except that one on the top/right looks weird.

Also, I know this guy with more flies than he can ever use. I'll see if he can't spare a few.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:50 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:39 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am
Fred

Edit:

Yer boxes are fine. Except that one on the top/right looks weird.

Also, I know this guy with more flies than he can ever use. I'll see if he can't spare a few.
Yeah ...
Looks good to me, Scott.

You should be able to handle most anything that comes along.
Let's hope for cool water and healthy trout this summer.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:58 pm

I have a bunch (3 Dozen) coming from a buddy in Loveland. He ties and sells some and I wanted to support his side gig, so I ordered some of the ones I don't tie that he does. That will more than fill the empty box.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon May 17, 2021 8:24 pm

I don’t fish a lot of dry flies, but this #10 deer hair humpy was fun to tie and should catch fish. (Yes, the tail is too long)

For reasons unknown I haven’t spent much time at the vice this past year, enjoying getting back too it.

Mostly been working on some Jack Gartside style soft hackle streamers:

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue May 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:24 pm
I don’t fish a lot of dry flies, but this #10 deer hair humpy was fun to tie and should catch fish. (Yes, the tail is too long)

For reasons unknown I haven’t spent much time at the vice this past year, enjoying getting back too it.

Mostly been working on some Jack Gartside style soft hackle streamers:

That streamer really floats my boat.
Well it's a wet fly, but you know what I mean.

:pipe3:

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm

You can get them to deliver almost anything, whether you need it or not.
Now I just need to make some room for it, commit some time, effort and $, develop some skill, and all will be peachy.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm
Now I just need to make some room for it, commit some time, effort and $, develop some skill, and all will be peachy.
Very cool...I have heard good things about Griffin Vices. Congrats!
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm
Very cool...I have heard good things about Griffin Vices. Congrats!
Nice. Fly tying is a satisfying and money saving hobby.
JK about the money saving part. Unless Mrs Rusty reads this. Then it's a totally legit and frugal hobby, and yes he really needs all those feathers.