The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:05 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm
You can get them to deliver almost anything, whether you need it or not.
Now I just need to make some room for it, commit some time, effort and $, develop some skill, and all will be peachy.
Very cool...I have heard good things about Griffin Vices. Congrats!
Nice. Fly tying is a satisfying and money saving hobby.
JK about the money saving part. Unless Mrs Rusty reads this. Then it's a totally legit and frugal hobby, and yes he really needs all those feathers.
Awesome vise!

Yes, you absolutely save a fortune tying your own flies Mrs Rusty, Mrs FredS, Mrs Bloodhound, Mrs Gabriel, Mrs durangopipe, Mrs

until you discover the really nice vises and tools, that maybe the materials to tie a fly cost less than a store bought fly but where you used to buy a handful of flies to get you by you’re now tying hundreds of flies because tying is so much fun, and then you start buying fine genetic hackle in hard to find colors, and ...
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:28 pm

Two Words:
Gold Grade Blue Dun Saddle Hackle. You need one. In fact, if you find some good patches, buy two.

I'm not sure what color 'blue dun' is. Seems sort of gray to me but it's worth way more than plain gray feathers.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:28 pm
Two Words:
Gold Grade Blue Dun Saddle Hackle. You need one. In fact, if you find some good patches, buy two.

I'm not sure what color 'blue dun' is. Seems sort of gray to me but it's worth way more than plain gray feathers.
... and while you’re at it, grab a patch of pink, urine stained belly fur from a female red fox in estrus so you can tie authentic Art Flick, Catskill style Hendricksons (Ephemerella subvaria). Wouldn’t want to tie an inauthentic fly - in Latin.
Pick up any book on the history of the Catskill Fly Tying Tradition, and you'll see this material was the
reason for bar fights, marriage proposals and dissolutions, hunting "accidents", and in a number of cases, wader slashing.

One old-timer recently recalled how he overheard two local Roscoe, NY fellows named Walt and Harry, discussing over a couple of beers how they would carry out a trip to their safe deposit box at the Salmonid National Bank, to cut a smidgen of fur from their treasured fur so they could tie some fresh Hendricksons for the upcoming hatch in the spring of 1957...

Matt Grobert

Like we told our wives - huge money saver!
Nothing distinguishes more clearly conditions in a free country from those in a country under arbitrary government than the observance in the former of the great principles known as the Rule of Law.

Friedrich August von Hayek

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:53 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:28 pm
Two Words:

My Daddy loved westerns and roan colored horses, which is a dappled gray, sort of like German Shorthaired Pointers have lots of. As a kid, I would point out a horse and say, "there's you a roan!" and he would reply, "no that's more of a dun, as the gray is solid."

Internet says a Blue Dun is a horse with solid gray coat with dark highlights, called Grullo in Spanish for "crane."

So. You're right, Fred.
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."