The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:09 pm

When I first started, I used a Bass Pro gift card (fathers day gift from my grand daughter) and bought a sling bag under the White River label, that is Bass Pro's house brand, it was a $25 gift card and the bag was $23 and change. Last Spring I was trying to work the zipper and it was snagging on some loose threads and the zipper pulled out. I took it back to Bass Pro and they gave me a brand new one. The guy at Bass Pro said it is a lifetime warranty. Here is a pic with the new bag on the Taylor. This is the new bag...its just like the first one, but the finish stitching is improved so I hope this one will last better. The reel bag is a Cabelas, It was on sale last Fall for $14.
[imgImage][/img]
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Truth be told, I don't usually wear a pac if I'm wading. I carry my pack to the water and hang it in a tree on the bank. I have a 'lanyard' similar to what Steve describes only I don't wear it around my neck. If I'm wearing waders I clip it between some d-rings or suspenders so it's across my chest. If I'm wet wading I clip it between belt loops on my waist. The lanyard has forceps, nippers, tippet spools, a 'drying patch' (wine cork), and floatant if I'm fishing dries. A fly box goes in my pants pocket or chest pocket in my waders.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys! One of the reasons I love this thread. Fred I was actually eyeballing that RedRock pack earlier today!

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 am

It has 623 pockets.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I give up. I've been trying Copper Johns off and on over the last two weeks. I can't do it. I HATE biots! My fat fingers can't tie them as tails or wings. That means (traditional) Copper Johns and Princes are on my "buy not tie" list.

Anybody want some free biots? I have white, brown, and amber/orange.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 pm
I give up. I've been trying Copper Johns off and on over the last two weeks. I can't do it. I HATE biots! My fat fingers can't tie them as tails or wings. That means (traditional) Copper Johns and Princes are on my "buy not tie" list.

Anybody want some free biots? I have white, brown, and amber/orange.
:wavey:
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Don't give your stuff away though, you never know when you might want it!
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm
It's a few dollars worth of feathers. I can always pop in to a local shop and get more if I'm ever foolish enough to want to try my hand at goose biots again.

You still at the same address you've always been at?

Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Dlibbon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 am

Would turkey biots make a difference? I’m also biot deficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am

Dlibbon wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 am
Would turkey biots make a difference? I’m also biot deficient.
I've always had difficulty getting them paired back to back and then getting them tied in so they flare out symmetrically and are the same length. When I try to adjust one side to make it like the other I end up pulling it too far so then I have to adjust the other side. Invariably, in this back and forth adjustment dance, I kink one and it ends up sticking out at a right angle. Even with only one loose wrap I get them bent.

I reckon turkey biots might be a bit tougher - toms sort of slap their wings on the ground when they're trying to impress the ladies by making themselves look bigger, and they certainly brush up against a lot more ground cover than geese do. I have a few turkey feathers laying around so I'll give it a try. Really though, I've just about resigned myself to using rubber legs in place of biots.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm
Gabriel wrote:
It's a few dollars worth of feathers. I can always pop in to a local shop and get more if I'm ever foolish enough to want to try my hand at goose biots again.

A local shop... sounds like a mythical beast to me.

Yeah, same address.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am
FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm
Gabriel wrote:

A local shop... sounds like a mythical beast to me.

Yeah, same address.
I know I'm lucky and I don't take them for granted. The local shop here actually has two stores. The one in 'old town' is a 15 minute drive, the south store is maybe 25 minutes. There's also a farm and ranch store in town that has a really nice fly shop in the back. Even when I lived in MO, I had a local fly shop and a Bass Pro 15 minutes away.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Back on the vise again. My hooks and thread came in! Holographic tinsel, squirrel tail, red hackle, ginger hackle wings, guinea fowl cheeks. Weighted with lead wire.

Is it spring yet?

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm
Back on the vise again. My hooks and thread came in! Holographic tinsel, squirrel tail, red hackle, ginger hackle wings, guinea fowl cheeks. Weighted with lead wire.

Is it spring yet?

Um.
It’s finally snowing here.

Nice streamer, Gabe.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm

You’re supposed to tell me the wing is too long. :)

Yeah, snow on the ground here too. Most of the water is frozen. :(
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm
You’re supposed to tell me the wing is too long. :)

Yeah, snow on the ground here too. Most of the water is frozen. :(
Nah.
The hook is too short. :D
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 pm

: :lol:
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:33 am

Man, that squirrel blends from the dark cheek to the ginger wing perfectly! It's amazing that three critters can be programed to offer up such a perfect palette of colors.

Also, nice work laying the tinsel flat with just the perfect little red butt. You're craftsmanship is impeccable.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Wow, thanks Fred. The color match is pretty striking, next time I'll use tan thread, should be a closer match. If I can keep it from breaking.
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm

I don't tie or fish featherwing streamers, but I think you want to stick with the dark thread head and red/green/yellow thread or floss for the butt just like you've done.