The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 pm
Clousers and buggers I can do. I'm hoping he is able to bring some more colors with him to supplement what I have.

He seems to have his heart set on a shrimp pattern. Is that unrealistic for an impromptu tying session like this? I don't have shell type material or anything. Taking a quick stroll through Tim Flagler's videos and I'm not seeing anything right off the bat...
If he has his heart set on tying a specific shrimp pattern (an orange bugger or Clouser would be fine), a strip of plastic from a Ziplock bag works just fine for the shell back.

These are easy to tie . . .

Dubbing loop body, picked out with a needle, pull the plastic over the back, rib with wire.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:38 pm

Ah, of course. I'm sure I can come up a few substitutes if try. I don't know if he has a particular pattern or just assumes he needs shrimp because he's in salt water. ;)

In my quick search, I ran across this:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/one ... node-21161

Probably won't try it tomorrow as i don't feel like trying to replicate the look of UV resin without actually having UV resin, but it's a fun looking idea.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:41 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 pm
Clousers and buggers I can do. I'm hoping he is able to bring some more colors with him to supplement what I have.

He seems to have his heart set on a shrimp pattern. Is that unrealistic for an impromptu tying session like this? I don't have shell type material or anything. Taking a quick stroll through Tim Flagler's videos and I'm not seeing anything right off the bat...
If he has his heart set on tying a specific shrimp pattern (an orange bugger or Clouser would be fine), a strip of plastic from a Ziplock bag works just fine for the shell back.

These are easy to tie . . .

Dubbing loop body, picked out with a needle, pull the plastic over the back, rib with wire.
Looks like a scud pattern I've been trying. I've been using turkey or pheasant wing feather for the back and some long hairs ear dubbing. Hasn't turned out exactly how I want yet, but it's been a fun exercise. I did one with a bucktail back that actually turned out pretty nice. Was going to be a beetle but...
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:38 pm
Ah, of course. I'm sure I can come up a few substitutes if try. I don't know if he has a particular pattern or just assumes he needs shrimp because he's in salt water. ;)

In my quick search, I ran across this:

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/one ... node-21161

Probably won't try it tomorrow as i don't feel like trying to replicate the look of UV resin without actually having UV resin, but it's a fun looking idea.
That looks pretty cool!
Should be fun to tie.

When you get back to salmon flies, check out this one. It’s supposed to be a shrimp:

It’s a General Practitioner. I’ve tied a mess of them over the years. Great fly.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Use a strip of the heavy plastic bag that dp suggested if you don't have uv resin. Do you have any *pearl mylar? A strip of that under the baggie will give pretty much the same effect.

And, if you can afford it, slip the dude a 10 spot and tell him to check at a local bait shop to ask advice and buy a bug or two.

*If you don't have any mylar, hit up the dollar store after church tomorrow and buy a bag of white easter basket grass.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 pm
And, if you can afford it, slip the dude a 10 spot and tell him to check at a local bait shop to ask advice and buy a bug or two.
I like the way yer thinkin' here...
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:51 pm

You both have mentioned plastic for backs. I can easily picture using it in a situation where the back will be ribbed by thread, tinsel, or whathaveyou. In the case of mimicking the resin look - wonder if I could use a head cement/plastic combination? Obviously one advantage of resin is that you don't have to tie it down. Wondering is there is a realistic way to mimic that.

I actually did save some easter grass around here somewhere... hm...
Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Why not rib it? Shrimp 'scales' are segmented. Use some mono from one of your kids reels. Use some heavy mono for the eyes. It'll take a bunch to make a ball that big.

Look at this.
Last edited by FredS on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Niiice.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Thank you two for chiming in right away. It's 10p here in the midwest and I'm fading fast... (must be getting old). ;)

Wish us luck tomorrow! This is the kid I had over tying last summer. I'm pretty happy he invited himself back, just wish he had planned ahead a bit...
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Have fun!

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Have fun Gabe.

BTW, I'm tying tonight. Shot glass baetis. Olives and browns. #18.

I wanna tie a mess of JuJu Baetis' but the materials are pretty specific and I don't have good substitutes and I've put myself on a budget this month. I'm not buying anything that I can't eat or put in the fuel tank. Come April 1 I'll be at St Pete's fly shop buying some super hair and flouro fiber.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:32 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm
Have fun Gabe.

BTW, I'm tying tonight. Shot glass baetis. Olives and browns. #18.

I wanna tie a mess of JuJu Baetis' but the materials are pretty specific and I don't have good substitutes and I've put myself on a budget this month. I'm not buying anything that I can't eat or put in the fuel tank. Come April 1 I'll be at St Pete's fly shop buying some super hair and flouro fiber.
Sweet, Fred!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

No time for a real update, but I did play with that mallard feather shrimp pattern a bit. It’s fun to tie and looks decent after a few attempts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Playing with goose biots and pheasant hackle. The pic really doesn’t do justice to the iridescent shine of the pheasant feather. I kinda like this one. Size 12 nymph hook.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 pm
Playing with goose biots and pheasant hackle. The pic really doesn’t do justice to the iridescent shine of the pheasant feather. I kinda like this one. Size 12 nymph hook.

I like it, too!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Got kinda sloppy with the head, but the biot tail and body turned out ok. Feather fluff for dubbing, pheasant breast hackle.

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 pm

I'd say your tail is twice as long as it should be, but - have I mentioned this before? - I suck at biots, so I'm just impressed you could get them tied in in a splayed fashion at all. Bluegill and bass are gonna love that yellow biot body and wiggly soft hackle.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:30 pm
I'd say your tail is twice as long as it should be, but - have I mentioned this before? - I suck at biots, so I'm just impressed you could get them tied in in a splayed fashion at all. Bluegill and bass are gonna love that yellow biot body and wiggly soft hackle.
Ha, yes the tail is much too long, but I was so glad the biots were on in the right configuration that I wasn’t going to mess with them. :)

I’ve been tying these with sunnies in mind.
Sola Deo Gloria