The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:52 pm

Scud experiment with Easter grass Mylar, hare’s ear dubbing, copper wire, and a touch of sparkle emerger yarn. Next time I’ll use copper or olive thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:52 pm
Scud experiment with Easter grass Mylar, hare’s ear dubbing, copper wire, and a touch of sparkle emerger yarn. Next time I’ll use copper or olive thread.

That fly will be a killer.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Scuds (and sow bugs) are interesting in that they change color quickly after they die. The ones in the tailwaters I fished back in MO were gray or olive when alive and orangeish when dead. Fish eat 'em all. You can do some pretty cool stuff using red or orange thread with a light grayish dubbing. When they're wet the thread shows through the dubbing and gives it a really cool effect.

Ever heard of Frank Sawyer? He's credited with inventing the PTN (he tied it with only copper wire and a few pheasant tail fibers) and a nymph named the killer bug. He used a very specific type of yarn/thread to tie them and when they're wet they are incredibly life-like combination of pink-gray-brown that looks just like a caddis larve. To make my long story short, flies often look very different when wet and you can work that to your advantage.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I tie a fly called Sharks Caddis that looks amazing when it's wet. This image isn't mine, but it's the one that convinced me to twist some up and give them a try.

Look closely. One of these things is not like the others.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 pm
I tie a fly called Sharks Caddis that looks amazing when it's wet. This image isn't mine, but it's the one that convinced me to twist some up and give them a try.

Look closely. One of these things is not like the others.
Terrific fly.
GREAT photo!

You can hardly tell the real bug from the imitation!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:16 pm
I use a messenger bag (aka purse). The one on the right in this pic is my current bag. Bought it from China via aliexpress.com.

You may remember ^this post^ a while ago showing my fishing packs. Well, I bought another today. Picked up this Hardy bag for $34 at an antique shop. It's not new (some of the brass fittings have that green goo they get when in contact with leather for a long spell) but it's never been used. It has a cool tag inside that says "By Appointment of H.R.H." This one's bigger than my others but I'm sure I'll have it packed to overflowing soon enough.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 pm
FredS wrote:
I use a messenger bag (aka purse). The one on the right in this pic is my current bag. Bought it from China via aliexpress.com.

You may remember ^this post^ a while ago showing my fishing packs. Well, I bought another today. Picked up this Hardy bag for $34 at an antique shop. It's not new (some of the brass fittings have that green goo they get when in contact with leather for a long spell) but it's never been used. It has a cool tag inside that says "By Appointment of H.R.H." This one's bigger than my others but I'm sure I'll have it packed to overflowing soon enough.

Big Huge Score! That is a beauty...Very Nice I LOVE seeing folks with classic gear...Simms is nice...That bag is Class from start to finish
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 pm
FredS wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 pm
FredS wrote:

Big Huge Score! That is a beauty...Very Nice I LOVE seeing folks with classic gear...Simms is nice...That bag is Class from start to finish
That is one spectacular bag!
Great find Fred.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Oh that’s nice. Great find.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I’ve wanted to try a matuka style fly for a while. Finally got around to it tonight; pheasant wing, pheasant cheeks, a little red hackle at the throat, weighted with lead wire.

Turned out pretty well, I think, other than the bulky head.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 pm
I’ve wanted to try a matuka style fly for a while. Finally got around to it tonight; pheasant wing, pheasant cheeks, a little red hackle at the throat, weighted with lead wire.

Turned out pretty well, I think, other than the bulky head.

Sweet, Gabriel.
Head’s fine for a traditional streamer!

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:23 pm
You wouldn't believe the stuff I saw in the couple of shops Mrs FredS dragged me to Gabe. This state is fly fishing holy land (screw you Montana) and the shops and flea markets reflect the number of fly fishers out here.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm
Gabriel wrote:
You wouldn't believe the stuff I saw in the couple of shops Mrs FredS dragged me to Gabe. This state is fly fishing holy land (screw you Montana) and the shops and flea markets reflect the number of fly fishers out here.
Dude....that was a secret...did you already forget the oath of silence you took when you got your license
Scott ( aka - Thor )

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Dude....that was a secret...did you already forget the oath of silence you took when you got your license
I locked the door behind me. Nobody else is gettin' in.

(Also, I saw some sweet glass rods. Don't remember the brands but they were complete with good cork, guides, and wraps. Thought of you. Not long enough to consider calling to ask if you wanted them, but it's the thought that counts.)

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 am
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

(Also, I saw some sweet glass rods. Don't remember the brands but they were complete with good cork, guides, and wraps. Thought of you. Not long enough to consider calling to ask if you wanted them, but it's the thought that counts.)
My wife thanks you
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am

You guys are making me jealous. Colorado is quite possibly the best state in the U***n for outdoors people.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am
FredS wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

My wife thanks you
Mrs Bloodhound owes me a pie. :pie:

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:53 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am
FredS wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
FredS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

My wife thanks you
Mrs Bloodhound owes me a pie. :pie:
I'll advise her
Scott ( aka - Thor )

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:28 am
You guys are making me jealous. Colorado is quite possibly the best state in the U***n for outdoors people.
Naw. It’s terrible.
No game left.
All the streams are fished out.
The weather is horrible.

And the mountains aren’t nearly as beautiful as people think. :pipe2:

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:27 pm

If I have a 'confidence fly' it's the Pink Squirrel. I fished this as my point (bottom) fly on a two-nymph rig last weekend with a tiny RS2 (a blue winged olive mayfly emerger) up top and fully half the trout I caught went for the Pink Squirrel over the the BWO emerger even though BWO's were emerging.

Just tied two dozen. Size 14. That's the only size I tie.
Last edited by FredS on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.