The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:53 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 pm
I'm tying up a few worms. Is there a rule of thumb on how long they should be? Does it really matter?

Yeah, it might.
If much too long you can sometimes get short strikes.

Also, I like to tie them with the material hanging off of both the front and the back of the hook. That way, I feel, they wiggle on both endsmore like a real worm and seem to appear less connected to a leader.

Sometimes, in larger sizes, they work really well tied with orange thread and a band of the orange thread in the middle that both holds the material to the hook, and looks like a clitellum.

Or don’t bother.
Worms are deadly in most water.
And few flies are as simple to tie.

In my experience most takes on a worm imitation are pretty strong.
Thanks for the feedback. This was based on the first video I looked at. I've ordered some scud hooks to try my hand at some more traditional San Juan worms. I'll give the orange a try.

I figured there was a lot of flexibility with worms. My grandson has the most unorthodox approach to using soft baits I've ever seen and usually out fishes me.

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:14 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm
... I tie some with two beads on the hook with the worm material humped over the beads and tied on each side.
Like a camel hump?

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:17 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:14 pm
FredS wrote:
... I tie some with two beads on the hook with the worm material humped over the beads and tied on each side.
Like a camel hump?
What hump?

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:17 pm
JimVH wrote:
FredS wrote:
Like a camel hump?
What hump?

Well played.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:05 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:17 pm
JimVH wrote:
FredS wrote:
Like a camel hump?
What hump?

Well played.
I'ma get get get get you drunk
Get you love drunk off my hump
My hump my hump my hump my hump my hump
My hump my hump my hump my lovely little lumps
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 am

Here's my current cup-o-worms. The ones on the right have a bead, a double hump, a red/brown combo, and an anchor made of wire wrapped on an offset Gamakatsu octopus hook. I've just realized I don't have any orange ones. Like I wrote earlier, they're the most productive for me. I know what I'll tie next time I sit down at the vise and want an easy batch to tie up.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

JimVH

Post by JimVH » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am

Thanks, Fred. The visual helped.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:04 am

FTR - I've never caught anything but the bottom with the wire wrapped Gamakatsus.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:04 am
FTR - I've never caught anything but the bottom with the wire wrapped Gamakatsus.
Dead drift— no tug from the leader to make them fold back on themselves, oh, except maybe now and then.
They’ll wiggle in the current like the real thing.

And big fish will eat ‘em. I agree with Fred.

A lot of fly fishermen won’t fish them because, “I didn’t become a fly fisherman to fish worms!”

Well, if they’re in the water, and the fish are eating them, they’re imitations.
And incredibly effective under certain conditions ...

Like when the bottom is disturbed by spate, or when the flow suddenly goes up in a tailwater.

Orange ones on the San Juan, dark purple with an orange “slime tube” on the Bighorn! I’ve always got a mess of them in my tailwater boxes.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm
. . .A lot of fly fishermen won’t fish them because, “I didn’t become a fly fisherman to fish worms!” . . .
It's funny, the sorts of rules we set for ourselves. For sure, I'd rather catch fish on classic dries than anything else. Notice I wrote "catch fish", not simply "fish". We all fly fish because of some perfect image in our minds. Beautiful dry flies, tied to beautiful bamboo rods, making beautiful casts, in beautiful places, for beautiful fish is my ideal but I'm not a snob about it. I'll dredge to bottom if that's what the fish want. Some day that may change but today I enjoy the tug.

Bloodhound says he just enjoys being out in those beautiful place whether he catches a fish or not. I say if there's not a chance of catching a fish, then you're hiking, not fishing, and a hike is just walking a circle in the woods so what's the point? It's damn near golf! But that's just me.

My personal aesthetic stops me short of tying the 'mop flies' that are all the rage these days. But again, that's just me.

[EDI]By the way, I stuck the little package you sent me last year with the hanging midges in my pocket before heading out yesterday and they saved the day. The only fish in the net were with one of your flies. It's fun to catch fish on flies your buddies give you. Probably more so for me know than catching them on my own flies. I saved the flies from last years fly swap, but I'm going to use this years picks and report back each time I catch a fish on one.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm
durangopipe wrote:
. . .A lot of fly fishermen won’t fish them because, “I didn’t become a fly fisherman to fish worms!” . . .
It's funny, the sorts of rules we set for ourselves. For sure, I'd rather catch fish on classic dries than anything else. Notice I wrote "catch fish", not simply "fish". We all fly fish because of some perfect image in our minds. Beautiful dry flies, tied to beautiful bamboo rods, making beautiful casts, in beautiful places, for beautiful fish is my ideal but I'm not a snob about it. I'll dredge to bottom if that's what the fish want. Some day that may change but today I enjoy the tug.

Bloodhound says he just enjoys being out in those beautiful place whether he catches a fish or not. I say if there's not a chance of catching a fish, then you're hiking, not fishing, and a hike is just walking a circle in the woods so what's the point? It's damn near golf! But that's just me.

My personal aesthetic stops me short of tying the 'mop flies' that are all the rage these days. But again, that's just me.

[EDI]By the way, I stuck the little package you sent me last year with the hanging midges in my pocket before heading out yesterday and they saved the day. The only fish in the net were with one of your flies. It's fun to catch fish on flies your buddies give you. Probably more so for me know than catching them on my own flies. I saved the flies from last years fly swap, but I'm going to use this years picks and report back each time I catch a fish on one.
Glad to hear they worked for you, Fred!

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:40 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:00 pm
durangopipe wrote:

Just to add a bit...there must be the possibility of catching fish...otherwise, yup its just walking/wading. I have San Juan worms that I tied, in my box, I also have midges and a foam hopper or two and wooly buggers...but I would rather catch one or two fish on an EHC or PMD or a BWO dry fly.

BUT and this is the bigger issue for me...I am still a very new beginner to Fly Fishing, so I get excited, when I can control my line, make an accurate cast, fish the same fly(without feeding to the willows) for more than 5 min...so I get a lot of pleasure from being on the water and fishing some beautiful Colorado spots. I tell myself I am getting better each time I go out...and if there is a fish or two that gets caught in the process of my learning...great. I learned a ton from fishing with Fred. He has a great casting motion and read of the waters...and he catches fish! 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:42 pm

I need suggestions. Anyone have pattern suggestions using these?

I’ve found decent uses for the rest of the skin but haven’t found patterns I like for this section. Thoughts?
Sola Deo Gloria

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 am

Hello FredS.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 am

mont974x4 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:34 am

Hello FredS.
I LOVE THIS! :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:59 pm

An old man from here in town moved to AZ and an auction company is selling his estate on line. He has a ton of fly tying stuff and jewelry making tools (which will work for some of the stuff I make) so we drove by to view the stuff while the house was open today. I opened one box of fur that has some rank squirrel tails in it. Now that smell is in my nose and on my hands. I've washed a half dozen times and it still lingers. My goop is packed away somewhere in the garage but I think I'll have to go dig it out 'cause this smell is driving me crazy.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Ah, Goop!
Haven’t used it in years, but remember it well.

I need more grease and oil in my life.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:00 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:08 pm
Ah, Goop!
Haven’t used it in years, but remember it well.

I need more grease and oil in my life.
Oh man. Good stuff, used to be an intimate part of my daily life.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Ok, here’s a question for discussion. Have any of y’all ever tried selling flies? Etsy, EBay, friends and neighbors, shows? There’s a lot of flies I really enjoy creating, but don’t really use. I’m not really picturing making actual money, but if I could support my tying habit, I’d be pretty happy.

Thoughts? Experience?
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:05 pm
Ok, here’s a question for discussion. Have any of y’all ever tried selling flies? Etsy, EBay, friends and neighbors, shows? There’s a lot of flies I really enjoy creating, but don’t really use. I’m not really picturing making actual money, but if I could support my tying habit, I’d be pretty happy.

Thoughts? Experience?
In the past, I tied locally specific flies (mostly tailwater flies for the San Juan) for the shop. That was before they could get many of our needed small midges and small mayflies from commercial tiers like Umpqua.

Now they get all of these as beautifully tied flies on very good hooks and with excellent materials for peanuts. They’re tied in places like Sri Lanka that have ridiculously low labor costs using Umpqua’s own vast source of materials.

There are online sites now selling decent files at wholesale prices directly to fishermen for around 50 cents apiece:

http://www.flydealflies.com/flies/adams_p.html

I used to tie for some of my guide clients - my own patterns that they couldn’t get elsewhere, flies they’d taken trout on when fishing with me. Lolitas. My midge patterns. For one client, parachutes with fluorescent posts (he was very near-sighted) before those were commercially available. Things they’d ask me for. Pink-bodied PMD Sparkle Duns for the Dolores. Etc. I honestly don’t know if I ever would have sold a single fly without a connection to a fly shop and a list of clients accumulated over decades, and this after having my name out there and selling a lot of fishing books and magazine articles.

It always seemed like I was making less than a buck an hour after paying for materials.

I guess I’d start by asking fishermen I know if they need any flies.
Maybe see if a local shop has a need for something they’d let you tie for them.

Guess I’d start there.
Last edited by durangopipe on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.