The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Here’s one of my favorite steelhead flies, the Claret Guinea on sale for 90 cents:

http://www.flydealflies.com/flies/claret_guinea.html

The hook (TMC 7999) would cost you around 75 cents!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Yeah, those were all thoughts that went through my head at first. Anything I sold locally would probably be for display, unfortunately, so online selling would be my only real option. Just throwing stuff at the wall here.
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:35 pm

On another subject, I revisited my pheasant conundrum from the previous page and came up with this:

Execution needs some work, but I like the design. Baitfish type patterns are always useful around here.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:35 pm
On another subject, I revisited my pheasant conundrum from the previous page and came up with this:

Execution needs some work, but I like the design. Baitfish type patterns are always useful around here.
I like it.
A pheasant skin is an endless source of inspiration, isn’t it!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 pm

A better example.

I am loving the challenges presented by having the whole skin. Hope to get some more next month. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 pm
A better example.

I am loving the challenges presented by having the whole skin. Hope to get some more next month. :)
Beautiful.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:05 pm
A better example.

Very nice.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm

A couple more additions to the pheasant project. Upland Soft-hackle Streamers.

Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm
A couple more additions to the pheasant project. Upland Soft-hackle Streamers.

Look like killers to me!

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 pm

I hope so! I just discovered Jack Gartside, there’s a man who knew the value of a pheasant skin.
Sola Deo Gloria

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am

Jack Gartside’s “float tube.”

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:29 am

Gabriel wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 pm
I hope so! I just discovered Jack Gartside, there’s a man who knew the value of a pheasant skin.
With his gurgler, he was one of the first to use the feathers from the Foam Feathered Fannie bird.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

Has anyone listened to The Feather Heist?

Great story telling around a young fly tyer who stole a bunch of feathers from extinct birds.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:22 am

TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

Great story telling around a young fly tyer who stole a bunch of feathers from extinct birds.
No but I read the book:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 pm

The podcast is wonderful. The book is even more detailed and fantastic.

As interesting, to me, the hugely negative response the book received in the salmon fly tying community. Guilty consciences, I imagine.

If anyone is interested, here is how the book was discussed on The Classic Fly Rod Forum:

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... ther+thief

True, the author didn’t address the fact that there are legal ways to acquire many of these rare feathers (zoos, for example, collect feathers from molting birds and sell them legally on the feather market). There are a few misleading moments and outright factual errors (ostrich herl, for example, is neither rare nor illegal to buy and possess), but that hardly negates the book’s main points - thieves and scoundrels often try to use a minor error in an indictment to discredit the greater, legitimate charge.

The big problem for fly tiers is the opacity of most exotic feathers’ provenance and the difficulty of knowing whether a feather you are buying is legal or not.

Still, the heist was condemnable. Many of the skin purchasers clearly knew they were buying stolen goods. And, in the end, any defense of either behavior is absurd.

Which is why virtually all of the salmon flies actually fished are “guide” flies tied with hair, fur and substitute feathers that fish better, hold up longer and possess far less moral ambiguity.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:16 pm

I've heard the story on TAL and read the book. The way Johnson set up this tale would be interesting to me even if I didn't tie or fish flies.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm

So, I did bring down another pheasant today and have it skinned and covered in borax (the skin, not the bird). That worked well with my last one, but I can’t decide what to do with the wings. I don’t want to toss them if I don’t have to, and I’d rather not pluck them if I can preserve them.

Has anyone bothered to preserve pheasant wings? How did you do it, and was it successful?

Sola Deo Gloria

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:22 am
TwoXseveN wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

No but I read the book:
Book is next for me.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm
So, I did bring down another pheasant today and have it skinned and covered in borax (the skin, not the bird). That worked well with my last one, but I can’t decide what to do with the wings. I don’t want to toss them if I don’t have to, and I’d rather not pluck them if I can preserve them.

Has anyone bothered to preserve pheasant wings? How did you do it, and was it successful?

Gabe

Last season I ran into a similar question with my Blue Grouse wings. I posted it on a couple of fly fishing and tying forums and I got the name of a book...Fly-Tying Materials: Their Procurement, Use, and Protection by Eric Leiser...I got the book for $4 on Thrift Books.com and was disappointed. It is a good book, but it said to wrap the wing in paper towel and place in a zip-lock bag and freeze it for 15 to 20 days and that would dry it out.

Seemed to me to be an old school answer with questionable good or not so good results. I ended up plucking the feathers from the wings and saving them. There has to be an answer...maybe Youtube has a taxidermy tip video.

If you are interested in the book, I have seen it for cheap on amazon and thrift books and other book sale sites...its old school and has a lot of good info for finding and using materiels.

Scott
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:58 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Gabe

Last season I ran into a similar question with my Blue Grouse wings. I posted it on a couple of fly fishing and tying forums and I got the name of a book...Fly-Tying Materials: Their Procurement, Use, and Protection by Eric Leiser...I got the book for $4 on Thrift Books.com and was disappointed. It is a good book, but it said to wrap the wing in paper towel and place in a zip-lock bag and freeze it for 15 to 20 days and that would dry it out.

Seemed to me to be an old school answer with questionable good or not so good results. I ended up plucking the feathers from the wings and saving them. There has to be an answer...maybe Youtube has a taxidermy tip video.

If you are interested in the book, I have seen it for cheap on amazon and thrift books and other book sale sites...its old school and has a lot of good info for finding and using materiels.

Scott
Gabe . . .

I have dried them first by salting (borax is better) the joint and setting them out in sun in the dry Colorado air. We dry wild mushrooms on screens this way, and given our elevation and low humidity it works as well as a dehydrater. Then, I put them in the freezer for awhile, unwrapped.

After a week or two they have been dry enough to put into a Ziplock with the fly tying materials or bundle together for dog training.