The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:02 pm
I’m afraid I don’t have any trout fishing advice. I did attempt to replicate the pic you shared earlier with a non-weighted stone fly. I definitely need some smaller diameter rubber legs to make it work well. These were stolen from a spinner skirt.

Last weeks dry flies: a little lumpy, but they’ll catch fish.
Nice wings, Gabe!

If you tie those with sparsely dubbed tapering bodies and flare the wings down a bit so they're aligned @ 180 degrees to sit flat on the water that fly makes a killer mayfly pattern - Sparkle Dun.

Same fly tied with a tuft of CDC for the wing has been my best mayfly merger pattern over the years.

I spit on the body and tail, powder the CDC with Frog's Fanny, and let it hang down in the film.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:48 pm
Those peacock stone flies are a complicated tie. Yours look good. And deer hair on comparaduns is no easy task either. You've managed to get a lot of hair on yours so they should float nice. I'd still gink them up though - I add some when I tie and again at the river.
Yeah, the stone fly was kind of tricky. I tied the legs on top of the hook, but I’m thinking I should have tied them underneath. I’ll probably put wire on the next one too, I didn’t think to until it was too late.

That deer hair is actually fine elk hair, was a little easier, though hard to keep on top of the hook shank. I’ve never thought to put any gel on them when i tie them. You talking about floatant gel or something else?
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:31 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:02 pm
I’m afraid I don’t have any trout fishing advice. I did attempt to replicate the pic you shared earlier with a non-weighted stone fly. I definitely need some smaller diameter rubber legs to make it work well. These were stolen from a spinner skirt.

Last weeks dry flies: a little lumpy, but they’ll catch fish.
Nice wings, Gabe!

If you tie those with sparsely dubbed tapering bodies and flare the wings down a bit so they're aligned @ 180 degrees to sit flat on the water that fly makes a killer mayfly pattern - Sparkle Dun.

Same fly tied with a tuft of CDC for the wing has been my best mayfly merger pattern over the years.

I spit on the body and tail, powder the CDC with Frog's Fanny, and let it hang down in the film.
Thanks! I had the vague idea of a sparkle dun in my head when I whipped these up, but didn’t actually look them up. I’ve tied better examples in the past and they have been some of my best floating flies for panfish. My last batch was tied with coarser hair and I took care to do the 180 degree wing you mention. I don’t fish dries that often, so I’m out of practice. Sounds like a good reason to tie more!
Sola Deo Gloria

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:09 pm

More experiments on the theme:

Sola Deo Gloria

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:57 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm
I’ve never thought to put any gel on them when i tie them. You talking about floatant gel or something else?
Yeah, Gink floatant gel. I try to add it when I tie and again at the river. That way at least one coating has the chance to 'soak in'. Take dp's advice about only putting floatant on the wing if you can - it gets more difficult with smaller flies - instead of doping the whole bug. Gink is an old school floatant made with white gas (Coleman fuel) and paraffin wax. My dad used to make the stuff by the gallon to waterproof our canvas tents. I've seen a few floatant tests online and Gink usually ends up near the bottom of the list, but it's what I use anyway. It's odd that I'll fish a fly made entirely of flashy new synthetics, with a carbon graphite rod, but I stick to a traditional floatant. :confused:

-- -- -- --

Thanks for the soft hackle suggestions DP. I think I'll go with the peacock and partridge, brown hen hackle tail, gold wire rib.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:12 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:57 am
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:26 pm
I’ve never thought to put any gel on them when i tie them. You talking about floatant gel or something else?
Yeah, Gink floatant gel. I try to add it when I tie and again at the river. That way at least one coating has the chance to 'soak in'. Take dp's advice about only putting floatant on the wing if you can - it gets more difficult with smaller flies - instead of doping the whole bug. Gink is an old school floatant made with white gas (Coleman fuel) and paraffin wax. My dad used to make the stuff by the gallon to waterproof our canvas tents. I've seen a few floatant tests online and Gink usually ends up near the bottom of the list, but it's what I use anyway. It's odd that I'll fish a fly made entirely of flashy new synthetics, with a carbon graphite rod, but I stick to a traditional floatant. :confused:

-- -- -- --

Thanks for the soft hackle suggestions DP. I think I'll go with the peacock and partridge, brown hen hackle tail, gold wire rib.
That’s a great fly, Fred.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:46 pm

Speaking of soft-hackles ...

I put together a couple of “boxes” (a foam & lidded compartment fly box and a streamer wallet) for swinging flies on the Animas with my two-handed trout rods. The box is filled with high floating, big dries and soft hackles. The wallet (I bought it from a guy in England) is full of streamers.

These aren’t new ties (and I didn’t tie all of them myself). I’ve always had storage boxes filled with flies that I take out and load into other boxes to take fishing.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:10 pm

Nice wets dp. On the P&O's and P&G's it looks like you skipped a size. So maybe size 12s and 16s? Is that a common practice for you? I think it's smart and I often do that to conserve work at the tying desk and space in the box.

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm
. . . Next up, midges. Teeny, tiny midges. . .
Here's a midge emerger called The Reaper. I've tied a few dozen of these guys over the last week or so.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:31 pm

FredS wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Nice wets dp. On the P&O's and P&G's it looks like you skipped a size. So maybe size 12s and 16s? Is that a common practice for you? I think it's smart and I often do that to conserve work at the tying desk and space in the box.

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:01 pm
. . . Next up, midges. Teeny, tiny midges. . .
Here's a midge emerger called The Reaper. I've tied a few dozen of these guys over the last week or so.

Those Reapers are gorgeous, Fred!

Regarding size: Yes, I often choose not to tie a pattern in consecutive sizes. More instinct than rationality involved. It has most to do with what I’m expecting to fish.

Of course, when I get on the water I’ll discover that I need the size I skipped. 😝

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 am

Someone here may know some of the folks who made this film.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 am

Very cool...that is a well film
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:08 am

Got midges? This pandemic deal has been good for filling my fly boxes.

(The one with foam in the top-right compartment is a durangopipe hanging midge.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu May 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Still making midges.

Rojo Midge. I make them in red, purple, and light olive. Cooked up by Greg Garcia at Anglers All fly shop in Denver. This is the most 'complicated' midge I tie but it's still pretty simple. These are size 18.

Matt's Midge. Another Colorado fly, this one by Matt Miles. These are size 20. I can actually see these on the water if I'm fishing in close, say less than 20 feet.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 am
FredS wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 am

Very cool...that is a well film
Boy, how did I miss this!
Thanks for posting it, Fred.

And yes, I know Andy well.
Great young man.

Good father.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 07, 2020 5:33 pm

FredS wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:42 pm
Still making midges.

Rojo Midge. I make them in red, purple, and light olive. Cooked up by Greg Garcia at Anglers All fly shop in Denver. This is the most 'complicated' midge I tie but it's still pretty simple. These are size 18.

Matt's Midge. Another Colorado fly, this one by Matt Miles. These are size 20. I can actually see these on the water if I'm fishing in close, say less than 20 feet.
Size #20! That’s huge.
Hell, that’s not a midge. That’s practically a grasshopper.

:pipe3:

(Just kidding. Vey nice flies, Fred. You put me to shame.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri May 08, 2020 7:27 am

You tailwater guys and yer small bugs. I tie 'em in 22 too, but they don't look as nice. Any smaller than that is simply a PITA for me. They're hard to see on the water and they're just about impossible to tie on so I have to pre-rig some on tippet at home.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm

You people and your tiny flies...

A slight departure from my usual ethos:

I’ve been doing a little tackle fishing this spring and thought I’d tie up some bass lure type patterns. We shall see...
Sola Deo Gloria

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:30 pm

I have been tying at the cabin on the weekends. I have a small tying station with supplies that I keep there (Discovered it when going thru the stuff the previous owner left). I have added some supplies and materials to the limited items.

The point is that this last 2 weekends I finally got good at applying dubbing to the thread...or I discovered that Beaver dubbing is easier to apply than Rabbit dubbing...

Luck of the draw that I added Beaver dubbing to the cabin supplies and I have Rabbit dubbing at home. What say you experts? I Beaver easier to work with...or am I finally getting a little better at this process?
8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Leaving the beaver jokes aside for now. . . .

They say beaver and muskrat hair has oils that block water absorption and help it float, making it good for dries. I think that's BS, as the oils are removed when the hides or hair is processed at the dubbing factory. I do think beaver and muskrat underfur is finer than rabbit and that makes it easier to dub a tight noodle thereby making slim and trim dry flies. The hares ear dubbing I buy has a fair number of guard hairs (longer and stiffer, again with the jokes) so it's good for making "buggy" nymphs that have more wiggle or movement than you may want from a dry fly.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:06 pm

And this thread hasn’t had any action for a while so here’s a stonefly nymph approximation I’ve been working on. It’s a Catskill Curler variant tied with all pheasant tail and peacock.

This one is my first serious attempt. Not sure where I’d use it here in IL, but it’s a fun challenge to tie.
Sola Deo Gloria