The Fly Tying Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Saw this on FB and tried it with what I had on hand:

Image

Always looking for good streamers.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20213
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Is that a braid body? I have some white cord with silver roughly woven through it that could make a body like that. Tied with white or gray overwing that would be a nice minnow with the flashy body. And, I always feel squeamish writing this, 'nice head'. I've never been able to make streamer heads that neat.

Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Here’s the link:
http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/fly-of ... -nuisance/

It called for braid body, but I took some cream colored “sparkle emerger yarn” and twisted it together with a few strands of pearl Krystal flash. The effect is nice, though my body is lumpy.

Streamer heads are always difficult. I should post pics of my feather wing streamer attempts from yesterday... ouch.

My next order for material will include more zonker strips in various colors. If I can afford hackle feathers, those too. ‘‘Tis the season for tying fun experiments.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 pm

One more attempt. This one with a #8 curved heavy nymph hook, 3x shank. I like it a little better. Cheated and used holographic tinsel on the body.

Image

Now I need some different colors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 pm
One more attempt. This one with a #8 curved heavy nymph hook, 3x shank. I like it a little better. Cheated and used holographic tinsel on the body.

Image

Now I need some different colors.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 pm

I know I’m blowing up the thread, but one more:

Image

Trying my hand at some simple feather wing streamers. Any advice appreciated. The tinsel slipped on the end, of course, but what else should I keep in mind?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20823
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 pm
I know I’m blowing up the thread, but one more:
Blow it up, dude. I'm living vicariously through you until I get my space back from the Christmas Tree. My next two tying efforts will be the DDH Leech and these little baitfish things:

Image
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6758
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Gabriel
Those are some nice looking flys.

I got the totes moved and restacked in the basement and my reloading and fly tying area is mine again, however I have 2 clocks that need new movements and several Christmas decorations that need repaired and a pipe restoration going, so tying...well maybe next week.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Broke out the vice tonight after a long hiatus. Very rusty but a freak snow storm in Charleston SC has me going stir crazy.

Image

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Broke out the vice tonight after a long hiatus. Very rusty but a freak snow storm in Charleston SC has me going stir crazy.

Image
Great reason to tie flies.
Nice!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 8693
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:52 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 pm
I know I’m blowing up the thread, but one more:
Blow it up, dude. I'm living vicariously through you and the others, until I find my old vise and get it set up.
.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20213
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by FredS » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Bloodhound reminded me we're due for another CPS Fly Swap.

Anyone interested? I'll wrangle it if there's any interest. If there is, I'd also like to hear ideas on a fun way to structure it. Last time we made whatever we chose. We can certainly do the same again or we can pick a theme - wet, dry, nymph, streamer, traditional materials, foam, salt, all buggers, full dress or artsy flies.

Whataya say?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Back at the vice on a cold, snowy day. Taking a break from streamers until I can make another material order.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm
Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Broke out the vice tonight after a long hiatus. Very rusty but a freak snow storm in Charleston SC has me going stir crazy.

Image
Great reason to tie flies.
Nice!
Nice. What are those center minnow patterns made of?
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Bloodhound reminded me we're due for another CPS Fly Swap.

Anyone interested? I'll wrangle it if there's any interest. If there is, I'd also like to hear ideas on a fun way to structure it. Last time we made whatever we chose. We can certainly do the same again or we can pick a theme - wet, dry, nymph, streamer, traditional materials, foam, salt, all buggers, full dress or artsy flies.

Whataya say?
I certainly had fun with the last one and would enjoy doing it again. I like the idea of a theme. Would force some new discipline, which is a fun challenge.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 pm
FredS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Bloodhound reminded me we're due for another CPS Fly Swap.

Anyone interested? I'll wrangle it if there's any interest. If there is, I'd also like to hear ideas on a fun way to structure it. Last time we made whatever we chose. We can certainly do the same again or we can pick a theme - wet, dry, nymph, streamer, traditional materials, foam, salt, all buggers, full dress or artsy flies.

Whataya say?
I certainly had fun with the last one and would enjoy doing it again. I like the idea of a theme. Would force some new discipline, which is a fun challenge.
Well . . .
I’m rusty as heck.
I’ve tied one fly in three years - a Florida (Floreeda) Crab.

It may be ugly, but I would love to try to get my chops back.
I’m in.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 20823
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by JimVH » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:18 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:11 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 pm
FredS wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:48 pm
Bloodhound reminded me we're due for another CPS Fly Swap.

Anyone interested? I'll wrangle it if there's any interest. If there is, I'd also like to hear ideas on a fun way to structure it. Last time we made whatever we chose. We can certainly do the same again or we can pick a theme - wet, dry, nymph, streamer, traditional materials, foam, salt, all buggers, full dress or artsy flies.

Whataya say?
I certainly had fun with the last one and would enjoy doing it again. I like the idea of a theme. Would force some new discipline, which is a fun challenge.
Well . . .
I’m rusty as heck.
I’ve tied one fly in three years - a Florida (Floreeda) Crab.

It may be ugly, but I would love to try to get my chops back.
I’m in.
Great idea - good motivation to get my stuff unpacked.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 11317
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Hackles too long. Every. Time.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 6758
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Bloodhound » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:04 pm

It was all those tyers at the FlyFishing show...I got motivated...that and FredS finding me some hackle for Griffith's Gnats...I went back in after lunch and bought the pack for $2...Should get a dozen or so out of the pack.

I would love to do a swap again and the theme sounds good or free form again or...I'm in...Thanks Fred.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Dlibbon
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Charleston SC
Contact:

Re: The Fly Tying Thread

Post by Dlibbon » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:55 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:39 pm
Dlibbon wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:17 pm
Broke out the vice tonight after a long hiatus. Very rusty but a freak snow storm in Charleston SC has me going stir crazy.

Image
Great reason to tie flies.
Nice!
Nice. What are those center minnow patterns made of?
Basically a clouser pattern but with a rust colored Flashabou instead of deer hair. They look great in the water and the bass around here love'm.

Post Reply