"That Ain't Right".... in The News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: "That Ain't Right".... in The News

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm

+JMJ+

J.R.R. Tolkien’s priest son a focus of UK abuse inquiry in Birmingham archdiocese [In-Depth]
St. Chad Cathedral in Birmingham, England. (Credit: Tony Hisgett/CC BY 2.0 via Flickr)

LEICESTER, United Kingdom — Allegations of abuse lodged against Father John Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien, were discussed on Monday and Tuesday by a British government inquiry into abuse into the Archdiocese of Birmingham.

The priest, who died in 2003, was accused of making a group of boys strip naked during a camping trip in the 1950s, as well as abusing a child seeking help with his reading skills.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse is this week examining the Archdiocese of Birmingham’s response to historic allegations made against several priests, including Tolkien.

The inquiry was established by the British Home Office — which oversees similar areas as the U.S. Departments of Justice and Homeland Security — but is independent and does not answer to the government.

The panel recently released a report on serial abuse in two Catholic prep schools in the north of England.

Birmingham Archbishop Bernard Longley will be testifying before the inquiry this week; Cardinal Vincent Nichols of Westminster, who headed the Birmingham archdiocese from 2000-2009, became ill at a Remembrance Sunday event and will not be able to offer testimony.

During his time as Archbishop of Birmingham, Nichols paid out several settlements for alleged victims of Tolkien, who consistently denied the charges against him.

[…]
"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher

Post by Nature of a Man » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 pm

wosbald wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm
+JMJ+

J.R.R. Tolkien’s priest son a focus of UK abuse inquiry in Birmingham archdiocese [In-Depth]
St. Chad Cathedral in Birmingham, England. (Credit: Tony Hisgett/CC BY 2.0 via Flickr)

LEICESTER, United Kingdom — Allegations of abuse lodged against Father John Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien, were discussed on Monday and Tuesday by a British government inquiry into abuse into the Archdiocese of Birmingham.

The priest, who died in 2003, was accused of making a group of boys strip naked during a camping trip in the 1950s, as well as abusing a child seeking help with his reading skills.

The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse is this week examining the Archdiocese of Birmingham’s response to historic allegations made against several priests, including Tolkien.

The inquiry was established by the British Home Office — which oversees similar areas as the U.S. Departments of Justice and Homeland Security — but is independent and does not answer to the government.

The panel recently released a report on serial abuse in two Catholic prep schools in the north of England.

Birmingham Archbishop Bernard Longley will be testifying before the inquiry this week; Cardinal Vincent Nichols of Westminster, who headed the Birmingham archdiocese from 2000-2009, became ill at a Remembrance Sunday event and will not be able to offer testimony.

During his time as Archbishop of Birmingham, Nichols paid out several settlements for alleged victims of Tolkien, who consistently denied the charges against him.

[…]
Hopefully the allegations aren't true - if so then apples can fall far from trees, apparently...

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 am

‘Nothing is real.’ Teacher tells ‘heartbroken’ first-graders that Santa is imaginary
Mayra Aboyoun said she was left with some explaining to do after a substitute teacher made a spirit-crushing statement to her first-grade daughter’s class: Santa isn’t real.
“Oh, it wasn’t just Santa – it was the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, leprechauns, everything,” wrote Ginger Holmes. “She told the children, ‘your parents buy all your gifts.’”
At least one parent had a novel way to deal with the situation...
“I told her (the substitute teacher) is Krampus’ (Santa’s evil counterpart) helper and will not be returning...She believes me.”
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:19 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 am
‘Nothing is real.’ Teacher tells ‘heartbroken’ first-graders that Santa is imaginary
Mayra Aboyoun said she was left with some explaining to do after a substitute teacher made a spirit-crushing statement to her first-grade daughter’s class: Santa isn’t real.
“Oh, it wasn’t just Santa – it was the Easter bunny, tooth fairy, leprechauns, everything,” wrote Ginger Holmes. “She told the children, ‘your parents buy all your gifts.’”
“I told her (the substitute teacher) is Krampus’ (Santa’s evil counterpart) helper and will not be returning...She believes me.”
FTW
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 am

Sir Moose wrote:
I believe that parent too.

That guy should be tarred and feathered.
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Jester

Post by Jester » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 am

tuttle wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 am
Sir Moose wrote:

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 am
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

8O :scared:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

tuttle
Theology Room Mod
Theology Room Mod

Post by tuttle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

You were the substitute, weren't you...
Christmas is Yule, dummies! We're doing the same thing, just better!

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:47 pm

tuttle wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 am
Jester wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Sir Moose wrote:

You were the substitute, weren't you...
No. I don't believe in public school either. Thought you knew that? :lol:

I particularly like the contrast in this part of the story:
Moral of the story: Just be kind,” she concluded. “When in doubt, Always choose being kind, and you will always be in the right.”

And don’t worry: Aboyoun says she came up with the perfect explanation for what her “heartbroken” daughter had experienced.

“I told her (the substitute teacher) is Krampus’ (Santa’s evil counterpart) helper and will not be returning,”she wrote, according to TAPintoPlainfield. “She believes me.”
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH