So... Do we have any Flat Earthers here?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Re: So... Do we have any Flat Earthers here?

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Fainn wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:30 pm
Stanley76 wrote:What if the they are so highly developed that they see think and hear in four or more dimensions and therefore, to them, a sphere is flat. And they try to make the rest of us understand but we are so three dimensional that we can't understand.
We all do things in 3 and a half dimensions ( time only goes in one direction). There was a video on youtube of a supposedly 8 dimensional object, but it was bogus.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
Bogus to us maybe, but not to eight dimensionalers.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Having never flown or traveled out of the country, flat earth is my favorite conspiracy because I can easily debunk most others. Mandela effect is another cool one, but it can easily be debunked after some research.

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 pm

I'll admit that I haven't looked into it, but I don't understand the supposed motivation for the government/intelligentsia trying to convince us that a flat earth is actually round. Is there a profit to be made somewhere? Does it make the general populace more controllable? Does it lead to goats pooping in fewer flowerbeds? I don't get it.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:12 am

I so want to be a flat earther to yank the chain of people that know better just to see them melt down. But, alas, I am not.

Thinking of getting a pro-flat earth t-shirt to wear in public so I can see how many people feel at liberty to tell me I'm wrong. Then just tell them it's a social experiment.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am

Cleon wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:12 am
Thinking of getting a pro-flat earth t-shirt to wear in public so I can see how many people feel at liberty to tell me I'm wrong. Then just tell them it's a social experiment.
I find pipe smoking has about the same effect.
“Gnomies are my homies...” hugodrax

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 am

Google Eratosthenes.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 pm

UncleBob wrote:Google Eratosthenes.
No

Farts are either proof that God is a man or a sign of a fallen world.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm

The Eratosthenes Experiment

Eratosthenes studied in Alexandria and claimed to have also studied for some years in Athens. In 236 BC he was appointed by Ptolemy III Euergetes I as librarian of the Alexandrian library, the center of science and learning in the ancient world, succeeding to Apollonius of Rhodes, in that post. He was the third chief librarian of the Great Library of Alexandria.

As chief librarian he read many documents and found out that at the Ancient Egyptian city of Swenet (known in Greek as Syene, and in the modern day as Aswan) that is located near the tropic of Cancer on June there is a well where on certain day of the year the sunlight goes down to the bottom of the well. He knew that in Alexandria there was no day that the great Obelisk did not produce shadow and he measured the shadow angle on the day the Sun was directly above the well in Aswan. He needed to know the distance from the well in Aswan to Alexandria and there several different versions of how he found out its value. The most popular one is that he send a slave to measure it in footsteps. The value that he used in his calculations was 8000 stadia (1 egiptian stadium is about 157.5 m, though the exact size of the stadium is often a theme of discussion).

With this information he measured the circumference of the Earth without leaving Egypt by assuming that Earth was a sphere and that the Sun rays are parallel when they arrive to Earth.

Eratosthenes assumed that Earth is a sphere and that the solar rays are parallel when they reach Earth.

If this was true then the angle (α) that the shadow made on the top of the obelisk in Alexandria would be the same as the diffrence in latitude between the two places.

Eratosthenes used a simple formula that relates the proportionality of distance on the meridian (d ) and the difference in latitude (α) to the relation between the perimeter (P ) and the angle of the circle (360º):

The shadow angle at the top of the obelisk measured by Eratosthenes was 7.2º, so he calculated that the Earth was about 252000 stadia.

If we assume the Egyptian stadium this is about 39 817 km (252808 stadium x 157.5 m/stadium) which has an error of less than 1% when compared to the accepted value of the meridional perimeter of Earth that is 40 007.86 km.

Eratosthenes' experiment was one of the most important experiments in antiquity and his estimate of the earth’s size was accepted for hundreds of years afterwards. It was, in fact, the most accurate estimate until Man was able to go to Space.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 pm
I'll admit that I haven't looked into it, but I don't understand the supposed motivation for the government/intelligentsia trying to convince us that a flat earth is actually round. Is there a profit to be made somewhere? Does it make the general populace more controllable? Does it lead to goats pooping in fewer flowerbeds? I don't get it.
If it led to fewer goats I would be for it.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 am

Jocose wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Now playing on Netflix

Its freaking Hilarious to see Flat Earthers reject "science" but will conduct their own "experiments" to prove the earth is flat.
I'm now convinced that Mark Sargent is not a sincere flat earther but is simply enjoying his 15 minutes of fame and likely profiting heavily from his flat earth followers and from the Netflix show.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

mont974x4
Tim
Tim

Post by mont974x4 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:33 am

Hello FredS
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 am

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:00 pm
HOLOGRAM MOONS
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 am

I'm feeling a little flat.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm

The Earth is not round...

....it's an oblate ellipsoid