Is California's Oroville Dam In Trouble?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: Is California's Oroville Dam In Trouble?

Post by Goose55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 pm

For perspective on how immense the damaged main spillway at Oroville Dam is, here is a pic showing inspectors walking at the base of the nearly one mile long structure

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:40 pm
For perspective on how immense the damaged main spillway at Oroville Dam is, here is a pic showing inspectors walking at the base of the nearly one mile long structure

Input from the hootenanny...

"There's some water, dammit."

"Water always wins."

"I'm out."

"Be nice to your neighbors, Goose, they're just raisin' their kids."
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:33 pm

This recently appeared in the Media. "Officials are blocking the public’s ability to review documents." See State Senator's outrage to this, below..

“Citing potential security risks, state and federal officials are blocking the public’s ability to review documents that could shed light on repair plans and safety issues at crippled CA's Oroville Dam.

“One of the secret reports is a memo from an independent panel of experts brought in to guide state officials’ repair plans. Another confidential document is labeled a “Project Safety Compliance Report.”

“The secrecy on the part of state dam operators prompted state Sen. Jim Nielsen to call for an immediate oversight hearing.
“I’m alarmed and on the verge of outrage. We have an absolute, significant public safety concern,” said Nielsen, a Republican who represents thousands of residents who were evacuated when it appeared the dam might flood the region in February. “We need to know what cause they have to believe that there’s such a (security) risk, or is that just cover-up?”

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:19 pm

The news media aren't covering the Oroville Dam story anymore, so I'm pretty sure it must be all fixed up and done now.

That's how they cured the zika virus, anyway.

And that's how Obama ended Bush's war in Iraq right after he was elected, too. He won a Nobel Prize for that.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:19 pm
The news media aren't covering the Oroville Dam story anymore, so I'm pretty sure it must be all fixed up and done now.

And that's how Obama ended Bush's war in Iraq right after he was elected, too. He won a Nobel Prize for that.
And they are now saying that that they can not construct a new spillway, or even make any permanent repairs before the next rainy season. What a mess.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 am

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 pm
Del wrote:

And they are now saying that that they can not construct a new spillway, or even make any permanent repairs before the next rainy season. What a mess.
Goose, when the disaster goes to the politicians it's time to find a new disaster. The Columbians are drowning in a flood and Onyx is missing after cyclone Debbie blew through Australia. The last anyone can recall he had a discussion with the local constabulary about evacuation. And, lucky us, there was a photographer present.
Here he is at the cottage, back of Burke, explaining why he doesn't have to evacuate.

Cops: Sir, you and your family need to evacuate the premises because you're in the path of a cyclone.
Onyx: Nahhh, I'm an aboriginal wind dancer and this is my time. Besides I've experienced cyclones before.
Cops: Really? Pardon me sir, but you don't look aboriginal. And which cyclone have you experienced?
Onyx: It's awful. I gave blood a few days ago and they bleed ya white, mate. I have lots of experience with sound cyclones. It may not look like it but I have a pair of Wharfdale floor standing speakers inside and enough power to make the house do the shimmy. Ask the neighbours.
Cops: Sir, it's going to be a whopper and you need to evacuate.

Never saw him again. You need to start hand-wringing about contemporary disasters.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:41 am

Rusty wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 pm
Del wrote:

Goose, when the disaster goes to the politicians it's time to find a new disaster. The Columbians are drowning in a flood and Onyx is missing after cyclone Debbie blew through Australia. The last anyone can recall he had a discussion with the local constabulary about evacuation. And, lucky us, there was a photographer present.
Here he is at the cottage, back of Burke, explaining why he doesn't have to evacuate.

Cops: Sir, you and your family need to evacuate the premises because you're in the path of a cyclone.
Onyx: Nahhh, I'm an aboriginal wind dancer and this is my time. Besides I've experienced cyclones before.
Cops: Really? Pardon me sir, but you don't look aboriginal. And which cyclone have you experienced?
Onyx: It's awful. I gave blood a few days ago and they bleed ya white, mate. I have lots of experience with sound cyclones. It may not look like it but I have a pair of Wharfdale floor standing speakers inside and enough power to make the house do the shimmy. Ask the neighbours.
Cops: Sir, it's going to be a whopper and you need to evacuate.

Never saw him again. You need to start hand-wringing about contemporary disasters.
Its the man bun that sells it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 am

Hasn't this damn dam exploded yet?
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:53 pm

The Hero this Dam Deserves
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Forget the dam. I just want someone to patch the potholes in front of my office.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm
Forget the dam. I just want someone to patch the potholes in front of my office.
Next year Prius is coming out with a 4 wheel drive for just such road conditions.
DL Jake

IRT 328; "kinda smells like... meat." - Mrs. Gabriel » 09 Sep 2017

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am

FredS wrote:
Come to Colorado.
Buy a few barrels of pot.

Then you can fill them yourself.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am
FredS wrote:
Come to Colorado.

Where's the groan emoji?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am
durangopipe wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am
FredS wrote:
Come to Colorado.

Where's the groan emoji?
In Colorado....baked.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:34 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:53 pm
The Hero this Dam Deserves
Never underestimate the abilities of Assassin's Kittens.

The fear of them can light a fire under those in charge of properly fixing Oroville Dam.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Drone Footage - Mangled Oroville Dam Spillway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrRBkOhEZes

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Interesting 2 minute clip/ recent press conference with CA Dept of Water Resources Director, explaining how the 2 year repair plan will work

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article144500114.html

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm

I've got this great hat I've been wanting to show Skip.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:59 am

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?ORO

The plan was to "yo-yo" fills and releases to make room for the coming snowmelt by releasing water at ~35,000 CFS when lowering the lake level (a flow chosen to minimize further damage) then allow another fill, and repeat the process until snowmelt has ended and repair work can begin with a lowered lake.

But the current release is not lowering the lake as rapidly as hoped due to recent additions of both snowmelt and rain inflow.

Looks like there where be much longer periods of release, and more of them than hoped.

It will be interesting to see if or how much further damage occurs after this current release ends.

The timeline for repairs keeps getting more and more compressed.

As FredS mentioned earlier, for those of us who have been watching tailwater data for years, a table like the one linked to provides endless fascination.

Our San Juan drainage snowpack is also well above average and the BOR is continuing to allow Navajo Lake to fill.

http://www.sanjuanflows.info/Reservoirs.aspx

I'm expecting a huge release to begin shortly. This, coupled with rising flows in the Animas River may cause flooding downstream of Farmington, NM, below their confluence.

It is certainly going to postpone fishing either river for a month or more once the spill begins.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 pm
I've got this great hat I've been wanting to show Skip.
How about this coming Thursday?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley